• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

Mantha will get some games in once his team has been eliminated from the playoffs. Next season he will start in Grand Rapids and most likely play the entire season there with maybe some call-ups.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#22 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

Patrice Lefebvre, Patrick Emond and Normand Dupont.

Household names, right?

They are 3 of the top 4 all-time Quebec League points leaders.

i saw Lefebvre play here in the UK back in the 90's the guy was awesome. Had a great set of hands great wheels but he was about 5'6" so i guess he wasup against. But he did something that not alot of players have done, he played in the NHL after playing in the British league.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#23 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

i saw Lefebvre play here in the UK back in the 90's the guy was awesome. Had a great set of hands great wheels but he was about 5'6" so i guess he wasup against. But he did something that not alot of players have done, he played in the NHL after playing in the British league.

Only 3 games in the NHL though.

Absolutely crazy stat:

He scored 165 points in 36 games in the BHL in 92/93 - 4.58 ppg.  The crazy part of the stat though, is that he didn't lead his team in scoring (or "ppg" if you were thinking he missed a ton of time....leading scorer also played 36 games)

#24 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

Didn't Crosby play in the Q?

#25 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Yup. Claude Giroux too.

I was curious about the all time players from the Q,and found this:

http://www.rds.ca/ho...illeur-1.245893

Interesting to note who's at #40. I had no clue. I also didn't know that Pat LaFontaine and Mike Bossy played in the Q too.

#26 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

I ton of NHLers did, not sure the context of the question though?  Is it in reference to Lefebvre being amoung the all-time point leaders?  There are a couple issues there:

1 - Back in the 80s and 90s (similar to NHL), scoring was significantly higher in the Q (astronomical actually).

2 - The all-time leading scorers in juniors are not likely to be amoung the better players in the game as the best players don't last in the league very long (e.g. Crosby played his last game in juniors at the age of 17).  You see guys putting up huge numbers at the age of 19 and 20, but that is a huge difference when you try to compare to guys at 16, 17 and 18.

#27 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

True, Kirk Maltby was a 50 goal scorer in juniors after all.

Crosby was a 50 goal scorer back then as well..can I compare Mantha to him instead of a guy that scored 50 1 time? =)

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#28 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,448 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

Crosby was a 50 goal scorer back then as well..can I compare Mantha to him instead of a guy that scored 50 1 time? =)

I know you are joking, but as others have pointed out, you really can't or shouldn't compare junior stats.  If you want to compare his stats to Crosby's stats, the best you can do is as follows:

- Crosby, at 17, scored 66 goals (168pts) in 62 games in the Q

- Mantha, at 17, scored 22 goals (51pts) in 63 games in the Q

Even then, you really shouldn't make that comparison since guys develop at different times (so really hard when you are talking about guys in their teens).  Also, when Mantha was 17, overall league scoring was higher as well (teams scored an average of 3.58 gpg compared to 3.18 when Crosby was 17.

Scouts are decent at picking out guys though...this is why you see very high scoring players not necessarily get picked very high and guys that don't score much that do.

#29 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

True, Kirk Maltby was a 50 goal scorer in juniors after all.

Mickey...is that you?

#30 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

So we'll see him when he's....25? He does have to be "seasoned" after all. Steve Yzerman didn't need no "seasoning"....

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#31 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

Rumor has it that Holland plans on trading him for cogliano once his contract is pending UFA

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing.  The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#32 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

im still saying that by xmas Mantha will be on the roster, if we can get that help on the blueline and everyone stays fit next year we could have a very strong line up. 

I mean Zetterberg Datsyuk Legwand and Weiss as the 4 centers looks unmatchable by any side. 

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#33 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

Good news! It's a start at least.

tumblr_n28lgg0Ckw1rgjwupo1_500.png

#34 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:01 PM

When do the playoffs end?

#35 The Datsyukian Deke

The Datsyukian Deke

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

RS end 14/03/15..depends on the layoff in between RS/POs and the success of his team..officially there is nothing set right now, the website says "playoffs: TBD".

Lidstrom: "Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me."

#36 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Thanks for digging that up.
Normally I'm on Holland's side and prefer kids to log big minutes in every situation in lesser leagues than have them working 5 minutes/night on the fourth line, but at Mantha's level I'm not sure that a deep playoff run will do him much good in a league he has clearly already mastered. In this case I think I'd rather him practicing as a black ace with the Wings (and just maybe getting 4 min a night on the fourth line) than making a deep playoff run in the Q. He needs to develop alongside men, now.

#37 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

When do the playoffs end?

Anywhere from the end of March to the end of May

#38 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

Maybe it's just me but I would assume that means up to Detroit's "system" where he will start his contract and professional career. Aka. Grand Rapids. Could very well be wrong though.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him as a black ace though...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#39 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

If he plays any games this season does that count as one year on his entry level contract?

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 10 March 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#40 The Datsyukian Deke

The Datsyukian Deke

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

http://www.washingto...n-pose-dilemma/

An NHL team gets just 10 games before it must make a decision on players in the lineup who still have major junior eligibility. If a player suits up for 10 or more games, one year of his three-year entry-level contract is burned. If he plays in 40 or more contests, the season accrues and gets him to unrestricted free agency that much sooner.

Lidstrom: "Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me."