• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Edler-Kesler Vs. Ehrhoff-Stewart

Rate this topic

So. We're rumored to be interested in Edler and Kesler, possibly as a package deal. As far as I know, we haven't been linked to Ehrhoff or Stewart - but, as I've blabbered on about in the deadline thread, I think there may be the potential for a package deal, as Ehrhoff's estimated trade value appears to be a 1st, a prospect, and a young roster defenseman with upside, or any two of those.

My question is, Which would you prefer - the two Canucks or the two Sabres? I guess for the sake of discussion we should factor in actual real-world considerations, e.g. cost.

Edited by Dabura

So. We're rumored to be interested in Edler and Kesler, possibly as a package deal. As far as I know, we haven't been linked to Ehrhoff or Stewart - but, as I've blabbered on about in the trade deadline thread, I think there may be the potential for a package deal, as Ehrhoff's estimated trade value appears to be a 1st, a prospect, and a young roster defenseman with upside, or any two of those.

My question is, Which would you prefer, the two Canucks or the two Sabres? I guess for the sake of discussion we should factor in actual real-world considerations, e.g. cost.

My concern is who we'd be we giving up :scared: . Not a fan of Kesler :nono:

My concern is who we'd be we giving up :scared: . Not a fan of Kesler :nono:

I have to think Edler-Kesler (Edsler?) would cost a king's ransom. The Canucks are one point out of the playoffs (last I checked), and Gillis has to be thinking about his legacy...and the possibility of redemption.

That's largely why I'd prefer Ehrhoff-Stewart (Ehrwart? Stewhoff?) - they'd almost certainly come cheaper, even though it'd be intradivision. Maybe a 1st, two prospects, and a top-six forward?

Kesler - Edler << the asking price will be too high everyone knows it. Gillis is always trying to bend other GMs over yet he doesn't succeed at it

Stewart no thanks, locker room cancer doesn't get along well with Hitchcock so he for sure WONT do well with Babcock either

Ehrhoff yes, if the price isn't too high and Buffalo eats a bit of salary.

Guest Playmaker

Given Ken Holland's trade history, I don't think either are possible or plausible. It's just not how Holland does things. I don't see any trades happening, unless there's some offensive RH D-Man who is over 35 on an expiring contract that he can get for a draft pick.

So. We're rumored to be interested in Edler and Kesler, possibly as a package deal. As far as I know, we haven't been linked to Ehrhoff or Stewart - but, as I've blabbered on about in the deadline thread, I think there may be the potential for a package deal, as Ehrhoff's estimated trade value appears to be a 1st, a prospect, and a young roster defenseman with upside, or any two of those.

My question is, Which would you prefer - the two Canucks or the two Sabres? I guess for the sake of discussion we should factor in actual real-world considerations, e.g. cost.

Stewart just got traded yesterday, so no package with him. If the Cansucks package has Kesler in it, hell now. I'd take either Erhoff or Edler alone, but especially for Erhoff, I wouldn't give a 1st, a prospect and a younger Dman unless it's a 1st, Ferraro and Kindl cause even in a "weaker" draft year (which may turn out good anyways) 1st round picks are more valuable than in years past, namely prior to the cap. And Erhoff is getting older and more injury prone, so that's another minus.

Edited by Z Winged Dangler

Kesler is a diver who'd cost too much in a trade (and I just hate him, in general). Edler is prone to giveaways. Stewart is extremely inconsistent and pretty bad in his own end. Ehrhoff contract is too long and he's not particularly that great in his own end either.

Too many red flags on all these players IMO. I'd rather not make a move just for the sake of it.

Kesler is 6'2" 202 and is 29 years old. He has 98 hits this year and is good for 25 goals a year, and has seasons over 70 points recently. He plays excellent defense, can play wing or center, and will fight when he needs to. He shoots right. He is signed for 2 more seasons at $5 mil a year.

Stewart is bigger (6'2" 231) and is 26 years old. He fights more, but hits less. He's not good defensively and doesn't skate as well as Kesler. He's been inconsistent bouncing from 15 goals to close to 30 from year to year. He's a winger, can't play center. He shoots right and is signed for one more season at $4.15 a year.

I think, once again, Gillis is not in the best position to deal.

First, Hodgson wanted out , so Gilly traded him for Kassian, which looks pretty bad these days and caught hell from the media.

Then the Luongo Bungle. Gilly decided to do things differently than the Hodgson deal, tries to play hardball and ends up changing plans and dumping Schnied for a pick, still stuck with Louie and some egg on his face, looking bad again.

Kesler let the cat out of the bag at the Olympics saying he wanted a trade. Loungo added a bit more pressure on Gilly by stating " it doesn't matter what he wants, it ain't happening ", ( I paraphrase from memory).

Now, Gilly doesn't know if he needs to get what he can get in a hurry to move the problem out the door, or play hardball trying to get full value for Kesler. Inaction will look like he's a deer in the headlights again, creating a distraction around the team again, and I think he'd be happy filling the position (2C) and getting a prospect, and maybe a pick.

I live just across the border from this media storm, and let me tell you, it's relentless. He wants to button this up.

Same with Edler. Media guys are in disbelief that Edler has not been moved yet. Rightly or wrongly, the fans and media perceive this team to be stale and time to shake it up.

That's why I think we can get it done with Weiss, (2C to adequately fill the position) Quincey, Andy, prospect (Almquist or Jarnkok) and a pick.

Gillis sounds super stressed out and ornery on the radio interviews, almost like he's taking night classes at the Brian Burke Institute of Media Relations.

Kesler-Datsyuk-Alfie

Nyquist-Helm-Franzen

Tatar- Sheahan-Jurco

Miller-Abby-Eaves

Glenny-Bert

Kronner-ERock

Edler-Dekeyser

Smith-Lashoff

Kindle

Playoffs:

Kessler-Datsyuk-Alfie

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Abby-Helm-Miller

That lineup can compete with anyone.

I've caught some s*** from the LGW Direspecting Faithful for this idea already, so this is the last time I'll bore you all with it. :-)

Edited by T.Low

I think we should leave the losers in Vancouver no need to make a trade just cuz deadline comin up..... We do need a shutdown puck moving d Macdonald or zidlicky, seen his name on this forum he's not the shutdown but he would be a poor mans rafalski

Can I pick Kesler and Erhoff?

I'm not clamoring for Kesler, but if the price was right. I wouldn't scoff at his acquisition.

Ehrhoff is definitely my top pick for defensive pick-up for the playoffs. Wanted him when he was a free agent. Still want him now.

His cap-hit is good for the type of player and potential that he has when playing for a good team. ...and I'm not a'scarred of his contract length.

Keep this in mind his cap hit is a meager $250,000 more than Kyle Quincey. He has 6 goals and 23 assists on a s***ty Buffalo team.

Kyle Quincey has 3 goals and 6 assists. Who wants to re-sign Quincey? Who wouldn't mind having Ehrhoff around for a few years?

...and I'm not that high on Edler. So, if I'm staying on topic: Stewart/Ehrhoff.

I'm not clamoring for Kesler, but if the price was right. I wouldn't scoff at his acquisition.

Ehrhoff is definitely my top pick for defensive pick-up for the playoffs. Wanted him when he was a free agent. Still want him now.

His cap-hit is good for the type of player and potential that he has when playing for a good team. ...and I'm not a'scarred of his contract length.

Keep this in mind his cap hit is a meager $250,000 more than Kyle Quincey. He has 6 goals and 23 assists on a s***ty Buffalo team.

Kyle Quincey has 3 goals and 6 assists. Who wants to re-sign Quincey? Who wouldn't mind having Ehrhoff around for a few years?

...and I'm not that high on Edler. So, if I'm staying on topic: Stewart/Ehrhoff.

I am. You really want Ehrhoff around even after Franzen's ridiculous deal is over and done with? Detroit already has at least enough of those long contracts, imo. And, that's the only reason the cap hit is even comparable to Quincey's. If Ehrhoff had signed a 3 year deal in 2011-12, the cap hit would be much higher.

I agree that Ehrhoff is probably the better player over Edler, but the contact comes with the player. Plus, I don't really want Stewart. So, if I have to pick one or the other combo, I'll go with Kesler and Edler.

I don't get why people think Ehrhoff's contract is so bad. IT's just 4 million a year, and the cap is gonna keep going up. in 2-3 years a dman of his ability for that price is gonna be a steal. Who cares if it is a long contract. If he retires before it is out, the Sabres are on the hook for the cap penalty. Ehrhoff is literally the safest bet out there for this team on defense.

A possibility I stupidly hadn't considered until just now: Gillis trades Edler and/or Kesler for Stewart and/or Ehrhoff. Or maybe Kesler for Moulson.

Not that that would really fit with the Sabres' plans for a full-on rebuild, but, then again, they've lost their tough-as-nails veteran leader in Ott and their undisputed cornerstone in Miller. Not to mention Vanek and, probably, Moulson. Even a team in rebuild mode needs some quality veteran leadership.

There is an Edler thread in the Rumor area of the forums, and within show some links to what Vancouver roughly wanted from Detroit when we were previously seeking it out. Apparently, Detroit had offered 3 players and a pick for Edler and Vancouver in return wanted 4 and a pick. It then collapsed.

Stacking that into a package with Kesler I think would be entirely too costly considering the asking price of Edler alone (not confirmed but reported). I'd imagine having to give up Franzen, Nyquist, a few prospects maybe including Sproul or Mantha, and a pick or two.

It's tough to know entirely, because we aren't GMs and what gets reported isn't necessarily correct.

For me though, putting them together, Stewart is the only one that doesn't much interest me, so that puts me on the Kesler/Edler end of the deal.

And no Dab, this is a pretty creative thread and nice break from a lot of the repetition that tends to pile up.

I don't get why people think Ehrhoff's contract is so bad. IT's just 4 million a year, and the cap is gonna keep going up. in 2-3 years a dman of his ability for that price is gonna be a steal. Who cares if it is a long contract. If he retires before it is out, the Sabres are on the hook for the cap penalty. Ehrhoff is literally the safest bet out there for this team on defense.

It's a double edged sword:

A lot of folks view these contracts as unmovable because of the term. Others because of the overall price-tag associated with them.

Playing devil's advocate: Do I necessarily want a $4 million dollar cap hit on a 38 year old defenseman who might be half of his former self, broken down... and well... old? No. What if the cap doesn't go up and up and up the way people speculate it will? Then I'm stuck with this fogey who can't shut anyone down and has lost a step when it comes to getting back on defense.

There's also a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to the recapture clause and if players retire before these types of contracts have come to an end.

Also, seconding the creativity of this thread. It's realistic and really makes you think about specific players, teams, without having the pile up of other players names tossed into the mix.