• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:52 PM

I don't get why people think Ehrhoff's contract is so bad. IT's just 4 million a year, and the cap is gonna keep going up. in 2-3 years a dman of his ability for that price is gonna be a steal. Who cares if it is a long contract. If he retires before it is out, the Sabres are on the hook for the cap penalty. Ehrhoff is literally the safest bet out there for this team on defense.

#22 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

A possibility I stupidly hadn't considered until just now: Gillis trades Edler and/or Kesler for Stewart and/or Ehrhoff. Or maybe Kesler for Moulson.

Not that that would really fit with the Sabres' plans for a full-on rebuild, but, then again, they've lost their tough-as-nails veteran leader in Ott and their undisputed cornerstone in Miller. Not to mention Vanek and, probably, Moulson. Even a team in rebuild mode needs some quality veteran leadership.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#23 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

Also: my understanding is that Gillis would, in fact, want a massive return for Kesler. So I really don't see him coming here, let alone with Edler. So maybe this thread topic is dumb.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#24 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

There is an Edler thread in the Rumor area of the forums, and within show some links to what Vancouver roughly wanted from Detroit when we were previously seeking it out. Apparently, Detroit had offered 3 players and a pick for Edler and Vancouver in return wanted 4 and a pick. It then collapsed. 

Stacking that into a package with Kesler I think would be entirely too costly considering the asking price of Edler alone (not confirmed but reported). I'd imagine having to give up Franzen, Nyquist, a few prospects maybe including Sproul or Mantha, and a pick or two. 

It's tough to know entirely, because we aren't GMs and what gets reported isn't necessarily correct. 

For me though, putting them together, Stewart is the only one that doesn't much interest me, so that puts me on the Kesler/Edler end of the deal. 

And no Dab, this is a pretty creative thread and nice break from a lot of the repetition that tends to pile up.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#25 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

I don't get why people think Ehrhoff's contract is so bad. IT's just 4 million a year, and the cap is gonna keep going up. in 2-3 years a dman of his ability for that price is gonna be a steal. Who cares if it is a long contract. If he retires before it is out, the Sabres are on the hook for the cap penalty. Ehrhoff is literally the safest bet out there for this team on defense.

It's a double edged sword:

A lot of folks view these contracts as unmovable because of the term.  Others because of the overall price-tag associated with them.

Playing devil's advocate:  Do I necessarily want a $4 million dollar cap hit on a 38 year old defenseman who might be half of his former self, broken down... and well... old?  No.  What if the cap doesn't go up and up and up the way people speculate it will?  Then I'm stuck with this fogey who can't shut anyone down and has lost a step when it comes to getting back on defense.

There's also a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to the recapture clause and if players retire before these types of contracts have come to an end.

Also, seconding the creativity of this thread.  It's realistic and really makes you think about specific players, teams, without having the pile up of other players names tossed into the mix. 

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#26 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I would LOVE to have Edler. But not so much Kesler... Same goes for Buffalo. I would love to have Ehrhoff, but not so much Stewart. So hopefully we won't go for any package deals with either of these teams. We desperately need another top 2 d-man.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#27 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

As a German my heart knows who I'd love to see in Detroit more but my heart and nationatilty aren't good enough reasons to chosse hockeyplayers I fear. ;)

Talking the price point there a a few aspects to think about. If I was Buffalos GM I'd think twice about letting all my veterans walk, even if during a rebuild. Edmonton should serve as a warning here. Even the most talented Kids need someone to learn from. So do we know that Buffalo want's to trade Erhoff/Stewart so badly ?

Vancouver on the other hand isn't forced to trade and that in itself  will make a deal with them more costly then with a rebuilding team. And then there is the Gillis-Factor, that Marbus already pointed out. Also I think the Edler/Kesler package is considerably stronger than Erhoff/Stewart.

Closing my heart out of this and letting my head do the work I think Kesler/Edler would also be the better fit here. They play a more puckmoving, ungritty style. Erhoff does too but I don't know enough about Stewart to know what kind of game he plays. Looking at his stats his PIMs standing out  so i assume he's a legit powerforward with a very gritty style of play. Some say a piece Detroit is missing right now but as stated in other threads : Thats usually just not the kind of player our system needs. So I stick with Kesler/Edler. Only problem with the Kesler/Edler combo is the pricetag, so probaly my hearts wish is much more realistic than that of my head.

Edited by derblaueClaus, 02 March 2014 - 06:09 PM.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#28 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

If you signed a guy to a $40 mil contract that paid him $18 mil in the first 2 seasons, would you be in a hurry to let your GM trade him if you were an NHL owner?

I don't see Ehrhoff being moved.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#29 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

If you signed a guy to a $40 mil contract that paid him $18 mil in the first 2 seasons, would you be in a hurry to let your GM trade him if you were an NHL owner?

I don't see Ehrhoff being moved.

If they can get assets that help them with their rebuild, he'll be moved. 

#30 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

Ehroff is a terrible defensive d man..end of story..he cost the Canucks multiple goals in the Stanley Cup finals which is pretty much the reason they didnt want him back.  Pass 

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#31 peabrain

peabrain

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:29 AM

I would LOVE to have Edler. But not so much Kesler... Same goes for Buffalo. I would love to have Ehrhoff, but not so much Stewart. So hopefully we won't go for any package deals with either of these teams. We desperately need another top 2 d-man.

I second this. In fact i would like em both.

Kessler is not a team player, and doesnt in any way belong in an organisation as wings. Steward is a hyped filler. He has nothing the wings need.

Red wings look great upfront(maybe a bit small). It´s on the d we desperately need improvement.

To me it´s a bit frustratring that almost none of the suggestion in threads like this one, comes with a balanced budget caps-wise, and no, nobody will take cleary, bart, sammy and weiss just to help red wings balance their budget.

#32 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 02:43 AM

If anyone here has an MBA or higher everything clearly points to us selling or standing pat, what with all the expendable pieces. Logically nothing will happen,

Ehroff is a terrible defensive d man..end of story..he cost the Canucks multiple goals in the Stanley Cup finals which is pretty much the reason they didnt want him back.  Pass 

My understanding is he's capable at d just not proficient. And that the nucks could not afford to resign him straight up

#33 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:35 AM

If anyone here has an MBA or higher everything clearly points to us selling or standing pat, what with all the expendable pieces. Logically nothing will happen,

My understanding is he's capable at d just not proficient. And that the nucks could not afford to resign him straight up

2 things: 1 you don't need an MBA to see we have a few spare parts we should get rid of. 2 capable at D but not proficient is like saying he can do it but he can't, since proficient means being competent with something.

Those things said since removing the dead weight is pretty much an unrealistic option and I'd like to watch a good hockey team, I'd love Ehrhoff, or Edler, or Kesler. I hate Kesler, but he'd make us better and harder to play against. And the defenseman, well, that need has been made plenty clear.

Edited by nawein, 04 March 2014 - 05:38 AM.

#34 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

Kesler not a team player? Ehrhoff capable but not proficient? Do you guys know what you'd be saying about 90% of our players if they played for other teams?

Maybe my next thread should be "Build a Wall Around Our Players and Throws Rocks at Anyone Who Comes Near Them!"

Don't Toews me, bro!

#35 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:03 AM

We don't have them, or you personally wouldn't want to move them?

This sums ME up. The names I keep hearing tossed around for trades are Nyquist-Tatar & Jurco. These players are our picks, drafts & now our studs, Id be shocked to see them moved...
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#36 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

I hate to say it but I'd like to see what we can do at the deadline. We have two aging veterans who still can lead this team and help us win a Cup but our performance since 09 has been pretty disappointing. The fact we are even in a playoff spot at the moment is cause we have some energetic youngsters making us a fun team to watch again. I'd like some right handed shooters and wouldn't mind Kesler to be honest(nothing beats his tumble gifs) and any defenseman has potential of being more productive than our current Lidstrom/Konstantinov version that is Kindl/Quincey. But not sure about cap issues and long drawn out contracts similar to Mule(whom I hope can stay healthy).

Edited by GoWings!, 04 March 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#37 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

This sums ME up. The names I keep hearing tossed around for trades are Nyquist-Tatar & Jurco. These players are our picks, drafts & now our studs, Id be shocked to see them moved...

Agreed, I'd be VERY reluctant to move any of them.  I've made clear my preferences IF they have to be moved.  I was just trying to point out that we definitely have assets, it's just not smart to trade them unless you're getting studs in return. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users