• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

Naming the New Arena

Rate this topic

A tiny bit of good news amidst all the trade day speculation. Just came across this gem online....

"The Ilitches' development company gets naming rights in the complex deal to build the arena, but it could be months before a decision is made on what to call the building. 'We have not finalized that," [Christopher] Illitch told WJR's Paul W. Smith. "We refer to it just as we've been referring to it externally, which is the Detroit event center. That's our working name for now. Of course we'll be working through all those details within the coming months.'"

While it's no guarantee that this means the new arena won't get a corporate name, it's a really good start.

Mike Ilitch Ice Arena. He deserves it.

I generally agree with most things you say, but no thanks on this. I'm not a big fan of personality deification. I'd prefer something that reflects the city/people of Detroit. s***, I'd be happy with something like Hockeytown Arena, Motor City Center, etc.

If we absolutely have to name it after an individual then we should name it after a true Detroit hero...like Kid Rock or the Insane Clown Posse :tounge2:

Mike Ilitch Ice Arena. He deserves it.

I generally agree with most things you say, but no thanks on this. I'm not a big fan of personality deification. I'd prefer something that reflects the city/people of Detroit. s***, I'd be happy with something like Hockeytown Arena, Motor City Center, etc.

If we absolutely have to name it after an individual then we should name it after a true Detroit hero...like Kid Rock or the Insane Clown Posse :tounge2:

You mean like Briggs Stadium, Comiskey Park, Wrigley Field, Ebbets Field, and Joe Louis Arena?

And yes, those musicians did waaaaay more for Detroit than Mr. I. :blink:

Edited by DickieDunn

I generally agree with most things you say, but no thanks on this... :tounge2z:

That's it, dude, we are SO done!

I'm not a big emoticon guy, but there are so many pricks on this forum I am compelled to make double sure people know when I'm joking. :-)

You mean like Briggs Stadium, Comiskey Park, Wrigley Field, Ebbets Field, and Joe Louis Arena? And yes, those musicians did waaaaay more for Detroit than Mr. I. :blink:

I understand that those stadiums where named after individuals. Personally I don't like it because it deflects from the community. You're welcome to disagree.

As far as the Kid Rock/ICP comment...I was being a smart ass. Lighten up.

Not being from Detroit, what are the plans for Joe Louis Arena? Will it be razed? If so, is there any discussion of using the same name for the new arena?

I think the smart thing would be to turn it into a public skating indoor arena and of course rentable for future hockey teams, a city can't have enough hockey rinks :)