• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kipwinger

Naming the New Arena

Rate this topic

Not being from Detroit, what are the plans for Joe Louis Arena? Will it be razed? If so, is there any discussion of using the same name for the new arena?

I've read they want to expand the adjoining Cobo Hall event center.

I think the smart thing would be to turn it into a public skating indoor arena and of course rentable for future hockey teams, a city can't have enough hockey rinks :)

Good luck on that, we couldn't even get them to save the old Maple Leaf Gardens here in Toronto. Now its a grocery store.

Joe Louis, should probably go under some kind of renovation make it look less like a hockey arena and more like an events centre.

As for the name, it sure would be a classy new trend to get away from Corporate names. I liked the Motor City idea blanketing the auto industry as a whole without naming it GM Ford or Chrysler.

The Motor City Olympia

Steve Howe Arena.

Sounds corny, but I think an arena honoring the two most important players in franchise history wouldn't be bad.

Steve-Howe.jpg

"What about me?"

I've "Googled" for an image of the shovels-in-the-dirt ceremony for the arena; came up empty.

Until that happens, this is a moot point.

I generally agree with most things you say, but no thanks on this. I'm not a big fan of personality deification. I'd prefer something that reflects the city/people of Detroit. s***, I'd be happy with something like Hockeytown Arena, Motor City Center, etc.

If we absolutely have to name it after an individual then we should name it after a true Detroit hero...like Kid Rock or the Insane Clown Posse :tounge2:

Eminem (M&M) Arena, or Slim Shadium. Lmfao

I dislike corporate named places as much as the next guy. It would be great if they named it in line with the historical lineage of the team, but seeing as how the othe sports team Illitch owns went from Tiger Stadium to Comerica Park I don't have much hope. Stadium naming rights can be a nice cash cow for ownership for pretty much doing nothing, highest bidder usually wins.

SchoolCraft Community College Arena

Steve-Howe.jpg

"What about me?"

I've "Googled" for an image of the shovels-in-the-dirt ceremony for the arena; came up empty.

Until that happens, this is a moot point.

Would this be a roundabout way to get money for naming rights?

EDIT: OK, I wasn't going to but I have to... The King Arthur on Ice Arena anyone? Anyone? What, no Yes fans around here?

Edited by ogreslayer

FYI, Deadspin did a hit-piece on the Wings and the Ilitch family this afternoon:

Detroit Scam City: How The Red Wings Took Hockeytown For All It Had

Nonetheless, the Ilitch family—with its estimated $3.2 billion net worth—will get a new stadium, slated to open for the 2016-2017 season, built off the backs of taxpayers.Not that this is a particularly new tactic. Mr. I, as supporters fondly call him, also owns the Detroit Tigers. When the Tigers, most recently valued at $643 million, wanted a new stadium, Ilitch—who made his fortune off the Little Caesar's pizza chain—went to City Hall, as would any sports owner in the country. And, as lawmakers are wont to do, they obliged, covering $115 million of the $300 million ballpark's costs.

Edited by evilmrt

Hot-N'-Ready Arena, haha.

I really wouldn't be surprised at all though if they don't take the corporate sponsor cash and call the arena something Olympia related.

"New Olympia Center" or something classy.

Then of course make back some of that money with tons of advertising inside of the complex and also having corporate sponsors for goal announcements, power plays, etc. Probably ads in front of the urinals too. The abundant supply of urinals we've all been dreaming of.