• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
unsaddleddonald

Marty St. Louis wants out because The Captain hurt his feelings

Rate this topic

I figure this is relevant to us because it involves The Captain.

With a hint of bias, this really is ridiculous. He wants out for no other reason than because Stevie didn't pick him to play on his team (originally). Seems pretty unprofessional to me. This must be why Stevie stepped down: too many cry babies whining about not being picked.

This guy spells it out nicely ---> http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/martin-st-louis-weren-t-martin-st-louis-152155336--nhl.html

Edited by unsaddleddonald

Martin St. Louis has been one of the most respected and well thought of players in the NHL for a very long time. I don't think he turned into a ****** bag overnight. Something happened, we don't know what it was. When it comes out, he might be the bad guy...which is fine. But currently there's no reason to think that a career class act all of a sudden decided to act like a baby.

He was frustrated yzerman didn't pick him as well the prior Olympics .... I do believe he got pissed being rejected this time again and I do think yzerman picked him now cause he was being a baby about

Been hearing a lot on tsn and radio shows that's why he demanded a trade .... Fact is We'll probably never know for sure but that's just my personal opinion that I do believe he wanted out cause he wasn't picked again

He was frustrated yzerman didn't pick him as well the prior Olympics .... I do believe he got pissed being rejected this time again and I do think yzerman picked him now cause he was being a baby about

Been hearing a lot on tsn and radio shows that's why he demanded a trade .... Fact is We'll probably never know for sure but that's just my personal opinion that I do believe he wanted out cause he wasn't picked again

This. I also believe the Vinny buyout in the off season had an impact as well because they were good friends. If MSL is mad at either then it's pretty pathetic. Thought he had better character then that.

Does everyone forget that Yzerman was butthurt about how he was being treated by Bowman, and demanded a trade...that he almost went to Ottawa (for Alfie...) and was nixed at the 11th hour. If we forgave Yzerman for that, people need to respect Marty and his decision to move on as well.

I think it's understandable for Marty to be upset. Think about it this way: Marty is the Captain of Stevie's team, selected as the best man to lead them to the Stanley Cup. Stevie expects him to perform at the highest caliber and be THE leader of all his troops on and off the ice. There have been many platitudes given to Marty since Stevie took over, and Marty and Stevie talked about how upset he was after being left off the last Canadian team. He won the Art Ross last year and is the pretty much the heart and soul of your organization, even without Stamkos, Marty is killing the scoresheet showing how much he deserves to be on the team. Now, Stevie puts together another team but doesn't think the man he selected to lead all his other men is good enough for this new team.

If my boss did this to me, I would look for another job too. And I think this is why Yzerman announced right after they won he will not return as team Canada GM, it destroyed the relationship with his Captain.

IIRC the trade was going to be Yzerman for Yashin.

The timing of this doesn't leave much doubt that it's about the Olympics, unless he's wanted out all year and it's just become public. If it is about team Canada, he really does need to quit crying. There were other pretty damn good players left off, and Yzerman didn't pick the team by himself.

Legit question here...when people say "Yzerman didn't pick the team by himself" do they mean that he had input from other people but had final say on the roster or was there something special about Team Canada's selection that took some selection power out of Yzerman's hands?

Guest Playmaker

Team Canada was put together, rightly so, to compete on the Olympic sized ice. In years past, the Canadians said screw it, we're going to play our game on their ice, and subsequently lost. The braintrust felt they needed big, fast players. Hence, the omission of MSL. I can understand being disappointed, but to pout and demand a trade over it is immature. It doesn't matter how he acted in the past, his acting like a d bag right now. Tampa is in first place, he's getting ample playing time, and Yzerman's recent moves, getting Bishop, signing Flip, have really improved the team.

FWIW, I don't think Yzerman ever demanded a trade. It was more Bowman thinking Stevie didn't have what it takes to buy into his system and didn't think they could win with him. Nobody's perfect ;)

Does everyone forget that Yzerman was butthurt about how he was being treated by Bowman, and demanded a trade...that he almost went to Ottawa (for Alfie...) and was nixed at the 11th hour. If we forgave Yzerman for that, people need to respect Marty and his decision to move on as well.

I think it's understandable for Marty to be upset. Think about it this way: Marty is the Captain of Stevie's team, selected as the best man to lead them to the Stanley Cup. Stevie expects him to perform at the highest caliber and be THE leader of all his troops on and off the ice. There have been many platitudes given to Marty since Stevie took over, and Marty and Stevie talked about how upset he was after being left off the last Canadian team. He won the Art Ross last year and is the pretty much the heart and soul of your organization, even without Stamkos, Marty is killing the scoresheet showing how much he deserves to be on the team. Now, Stevie puts together another team but doesn't think the man he selected to lead all his other men is good enough for this new team.

If my boss did this to me, I would look for another job too. And I think this is why Yzerman announced right after they won he will not return as team Canada GM, it destroyed the relationship with his Captain.

I'm not sure you can really compare Yzerman-Bowman to this situation as that was a player-coach relationship.

And ignoring his performance for the last couple seasons (which I realize is a big factor) for a second, you are kind of arguing that Yzerman should have picked him to play on the team for the fact alone that he is the captain of the Lightning. If he were to do that, I think the whole process would turn into a farce.

Legit question here...when people say "Yzerman didn't pick the team by himself" do they mean that he had input from other people but had final say on the roster or was there something special about Team Canada's selection that took some selection power out of Yzerman's hands?

It was a committee of people. Yzerman had the final say, but it wasn't him sitting home in his man cave or Buffalo Wild Wings drafting a fantasy team. Babcock and everyone else had input too.

It was a committee of people. Yzerman had the final say, but it wasn't him sitting home in his man cave or Buffalo Wild Wings drafting a fantasy team. Babcock and everyone else had input too.

Regardless, can anyone really criticize Yzerman for his selections this year or in 2010? Two gold medals and I'm not sure, but aren't they also unbeaten in both Olympics as well?

So it was the same process as all the other teams pretty much? (except the Russians, lord knows how they pick their Team).

Regardless, can anyone really criticize Yzerman for his selections this year or in 2010? Two gold medals and I'm not sure, but aren't they also unbeaten in both Olympics as well?

They lost in 2010 to the US team in the prelims.

So it was the same process as all the other teams pretty much? (except the Russians, lord knows how they pick their Team).

And the Czechs. I still don't know how they left Hudler off their team.

It's speculation and rumours so I don't think you should be basing your opinion of St. Louises character on that. Doing so only reveals sides of your own character.

He's apparently fine. Selections come out, he's upset. Then he says he wants out. What other reason would he have?

I think if st. Louis is pouting cause he didn't get picked that he is in the wrong, it's a business decisions and they went with who they felt would be the best team, and he should be more professional about it. If it is an entire ly different reasons I can't really comment cause I don't know that reason

He's apparently fine. Selections come out, he's upset. Then he says he wants out. What other reason would he have?

It's hard to say, maybe he'd been told he was going to make the team then didn't. Maybe they wanted him and Stamkos together, and when Stamkos went down St. Louis was dropped. Maybe it really is just that he felt snubbed given that he's playing at an INSANELY high level the last couple years.

You're right, it's pretty clearly about the Olympics...but I think there's probably more to the story than just "I didn't make it so I'm mad". He didn't make it in 2010 and didn't ask for a trade, so if it's just about being a baby over an Olympic snub...why not then?

That's not what happened. The Red Wings were working on a trade with Ottawa and kept Yzerman in the dark about it. And Yashin was supposedly the name involved in the deal, not Alfredsson.

Yzerman was obviously upset but his only requests were that the trade not drag on, and if he was traded he hoped he would go to a contender. It wasn't about forgiving Yzerman. The fans were mostly outraged when they found out. it was forgiving Bowman and Wings management. I think it was Ilitch who ended up killing the deal.

The only similarity is both St. Louis and Yzerman both played their asses of for their team while the drama was going on.

As for Marty St. Louis, he has been a class act all of his career, so him asking for a trade because his feelings got hurt doesn't ring true. Or at least sounds oversimplified. It could very well have been that as a 38 year old, once he found out he wasn't getting a chance at a gold medal he wanted to be traded to have another shot at the Stanley Cup.

Who knows.

I'm trying to look at this as unbiased as I can - which is obviously hard because it involes two of my favorite players - so:

Martin Saint Louis:

A guy who has been doubted his whole career, played his heart out for this franchise and would have been a snub two times in a row with his own GM being the boss of team Canada. It's like a girl telling you you can have her if things are going south with her current boyfriend and once that happens she is choosing AGAIN another one over you --> everyone would be pissed.

Stevie Y:

Turned the Bolts around in no time, doesn't want to act like a dictator and tell the other members Marty is on the team, period. Just another testament to what a class act this guy is.

So if I'm an 38 old MSL this would be my last chance at the olympics and therefore olympic Gold would I be pissed ? For sure getting snubbed one time is hard but two times I wouldn't sit well with me. If I'm Stevie Y should I really risk pissing off the other members by forcing them to take a guy they don't see as a fit ? Tough call.

MSL has to keep one thing in mind though if it weren't for his GM he would not have a gold medal yet because there is no way Stevie would pass on him for a third time. I really hope these two are figuring it out and he will remain a Bolt guy is pure class and deserves to have his number retired in Tampa.

Edited by frankgrimes