• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

If St Louis wants out, he is welcomed here with open arms. We need that drive and X factor again.
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#22 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

I'm trying to look at this as unbiased as I can - which is obviously hard because it involes two of my favorite players - so:

Martin Saint Louis:

A guy who has been doubted his whole career, played his heart out for this franchise and would have been a snub two times in a row with his own GM being the boss of team Canada. It's like a girl telling you you can have her if things are going south with her current boyfriend and once that happens she is choosing AGAIN another one over you --> everyone would be pissed.

Stevie Y:

Turned the Bolts around in no time, doesn't want to act like a dictator and tell the other members Marty is on the team, period. Just another testament to what a class act this guy is.

So if I'm an 38 old MSL this would be my last chance at the olympics and therefore olympic Gold would I be pissed ? For sure getting snubbed one time is hard but two times I wouldn't sit well with me. If I'm Stevie Y should I really risk pissing off the other members by forcing them to take a guy they don't see as a fit ? Tough call.

MSL has to keep one thing in mind though if it weren't for his GM he would not have a gold medal yet because there is no way Stevie would pass on him for a third time. I really hope these two are figuring it out and he will remain a Bolt guy is pure class and deserves to have his number retired in Tampa.

Edited by frankgrimes, 02 March 2014 - 12:37 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#23 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

If St Louis wants out, he is welcomed here with open arms. We need that drive and X factor again.

I definitely agree, but Marty has a NTC (no-trade-clause) and apparently will only accept a deal to the New York Rangers (his family lives in NY).

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#24 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

The Rangers... the only team on his list? Really?

The Rangers still haven't recovered since the retirement of Sean Avery.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#25 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

Before we go any further in this thread, everyone realizes that this is RYAN LAMBERT of PUCK DADDY, correct? The journalism over there is a joke, and Lambert is the worst of them all.

#26 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Rock-paper-scissors should used to decide this brouhaha.  

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#27 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:58 PM

Before we go any further in this thread, everyone realizes that this is RYAN LAMBERT of PUCK DADDY, correct? The journalism over there is a joke, and Lambert is the worst of them all.

Yeah, Lambert is a piece of work.  Wing hater too.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#28 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

I see why St. Louis would be ticked off but to demand a trade because of that is juvenile and a bit of a diva.  If he wants to be traded, trade him to a bottom feeder team.  

#29 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,818 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

I see why St. Louis would be ticked off but to demand a trade because of that is juvenile and a bit of a diva.  If he wants to be traded, trade him to a bottom feeder team.  

Won't work he has full NTC clause and according to reports he would only waive it for the Rangers.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#30 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

Won't work he has full NTC clause and according to reports he would only waive it for the Rangers.

If I was Yzerman I'd tell him to either expand his lit of destinations or be prepared to stay in TB.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#31 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

That's not what happened. The Red Wings were working on a trade with Ottawa and kept Yzerman in the dark about it.   And Yashin was supposedly the name involved in the deal, not Alfredsson. 

Yzerman was obviously upset but his only requests were that the trade not drag on, and if he was traded he hoped he would go to a contender.  It wasn't about forgiving Yzerman.  The fans were mostly outraged when they found out.  it was forgiving Bowman and Wings management.  I think it was Ilitch who ended up killing the deal. 

The only similarity is both St. Louis and Yzerman both played their asses of for their team while the drama was going on. 

As for Marty St. Louis, he has been a class act all of his career, so him asking for a trade because his feelings got hurt doesn't ring true.  Or at least sounds oversimplified.  It could very well have been that as a 38 year old, once he found out he wasn't getting a chance at a gold medal he wanted to be traded to have another shot at the Stanley Cup. 

Who knows.  

In my early morning typing I made the mistake of Alfie and yes he didn't ask to be traded but the rest is correct about problems with Bowman, it was pretty big deal back then.  Yzerman was a points monster, but was having problems with Bowmans system, which would cause a reduction in points by playing the full defensive ice in order to win (and not just get points).  There was tension and it was well known.  Yzerman finally bought into the system and the rest is history.

http://www.the6thsen...-to-ottawa.html

and

http://en.wikipedia....i/Steve_Yzerman

"When Scotty Bowman took over as coach in 1993, Yzerman initially chafed under Bowman's stern coaching style. Bowman, for his part, felt that Yzerman was not concentrating enough on defence; Bowman had long expected his forwards to be good back-checkers as well. Relations between the two became so strained that at one point, the Red Wings seriously considered trading him to the then-moribund Ottawa Senators."

#32 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

In my early morning typing I made the mistake of Alfie and yes he didn't ask to be traded but the rest is correct about problems with Bowman, it was pretty big deal back then.  Yzerman was a points monster, but was having problems with Bowmans system, which would cause a reduction in points by playing the full defensive ice in order to win (and not just get points).  There was tension and it was well known.  Yzerman finally bought into the system and the rest is history.

http://www.the6thsen...-to-ottawa.html

and

http://en.wikipedia....i/Steve_Yzerman

"When Scotty Bowman took over as coach in 1993, Yzerman initially chafed under Bowman's stern coaching style. Bowman, for his part, felt that Yzerman was not concentrating enough on defence; Bowman had long expected his forwards to be good back-checkers as well. Relations between the two became so strained that at one point, the Red Wings seriously considered trading him to the then-moribund Ottawa Senators."

I never argued that there wasn't tension between Bowman and Yzerman.  I remember it well, and it's well established that several players on the team weren't happy with Bowman's defense first system.  Especially after they got their ass handed to them by the Devils in the Cup finals. .  Some even think the potential Ottawa trade was more of Bowman pulling a Herb Brooks move (when he threatened to cut team captain Eruzione on the 1980 Olympic squad) than something the Wings actually would follow through with.

But there's a big difference between a player not getting along with a coach and saying that player demanded a trade.

#33 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,522 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:58 PM

Martin St. Louis has been one of the most respected and well thought of players in the NHL for a very long time.  I don't think he turned into a ****** bag overnight.  Something happened, we don't know what it was.  When it comes out, he might be the bad guy...which is fine.  But currently there's no reason to think that a career class act all of a sudden decided to act like a baby. 

I was thinking the same; St.Louis has been the consummate professional (in many ways just like Stevie Y).

Any chance Holland could poach him?

I never argued that there wasn't tension between Bowman and Yzerman.  I remember it well, and it's well established that several players on the team weren't happy with Bowman's defense first system.  Especially after they got their ass handed to them by the Devils in the Cup finals. .  Some even think the potential Ottawa trade was more of Bowman pulling a Herb Brooks move (when he threatened to cut team captain Eruzione on the 1980 Olympic squad) than something the Wings actually would follow through with.

But there's a big difference between a player not getting along with a coach and saying that player demanded a trade.

I remember those days; the rumor was Yzerman for Yashin...Man am I glad that never went thru.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#34 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

I'm reading that most Tampa fans aren't exactly fond of MSL at this point. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#35 freshy

freshy

Freshy

• PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

I'm reading that most Tampa fans aren't exactly fond of MSL at this point. 

Probably because a lot of Bolts fans are transplanted Michiganders/Ontarioans(?) that like The Captain better. They also see that he has built a quality team & can't stand that MSL is throwing a hissy........

You gotta be the QB to win the MVP baby! You can't be the punter.

#36 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

in any case in my view he shouldnt have gone as a reserve that should have been Claude Giroux or Scott Hartnell.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#37 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

I always liked Marty,  but lost a LOT of the respect I had for him after the last few weeks.

Talk about a supreme sense of entitlement, and acting like a whiney butt hurt ***** when things don't go his way...

#38 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,901 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

I thought Yzerman said Marty had approached him about a trade before the whole Olympics thing? 

I don't have a firsthand source on it though.  And even then, who knows it it's Stevie covering for him. 

#39 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

St Louis' wife is from Ct, basically a suburb of NY. They live there in the off season, and he trains in NY.

The plot thickens...

#40 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:14 AM

Gotta think this may be worse than we know. Stevie is the kinda guy who says Marty asked for a trade and I did best by him, when really Marty was a dick and Stevie got his best value. Please be the new Wings GM soon.