• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BBD10

Canadians may be shopping Subban...

Rate this topic

Are people being serious here? Subban is 24 and is can definitely be a franchise defenceman! Yeah he's got some growing up to do but he's won a Norris and would be great in the Red Wings system, and he has been coached by Babcock before. Sure he was sat out at the Olympics but that's because of the depth Canada had with right handed shots (which by the way we like on our defence). Pat Kane also has 'growing up to do' you would argue but on the ice nobody cares, he puts up the points. Similar things were said when Kessel got traded (doesn't fit the system, blah blah blah) and Seguin (immature, doesn't improve his game, blah blah blah) and look at where they are now with a change of setting

With all that being said, there's virtually no chance he ends up in Detroit but if they called us I would put together one hell of a package to land him.

Ovechkin to me has more a soccer attitude --> over the top celebrations, golden shoe laces and all that stuff

Under their old coach he had fights with his own team-mates, is still acting like the world surrounds him and just comes off as a cocky kid. I don't know but despite guys like Price, Briere, Prust, Parros and Murray the Habs really don't have a lot of likeable lowkey guys it seems for whatever reason.

To be honest I'd rather have Ehrhoff i have never heard a bad word about him, always the opposite great teammate, low maintenance and working extremely hard.

I guess I don't see how that's much different than what Subban is known for and why it's an NBA attitude when it comes to him. Ovechkin is arrogant, just as mouthy, and not exactly a team player.

In general I take things with a grain of salt when it involves the Habs. Everything is under the microscope there and that place is its own weird hockey universe.

I had heard a lot of the same things but the 24CH gave me a new perspective on the kid. He just seemed like a young emotional guy more than anything. When he made a stupid mistake that cost his team the game, he looked crushed and apologized to his teammates in the lockerroom right after the game. At 24 years old with that skill set, I'd take him on the Wings in a heartbeat.

I guess I don't see how that's much different than what Subban is known for and why it's an NBA attitude when it comes to him. Ovechkin is arrogant, just as mouthy, and not exactly a team player.

In general I take things with a grain of salt when it involves the Habs. Everything is under the microscope there and that place is its own weird hockey universe.

I had heard a lot of the same things but the 24CH gave me a new perspective on the kid. He just seemed like a young emotional guy more than anything. When he made a stupid mistake that cost his team the game, he looked crushed and apologized to his teammates in the lockerroom right after the game. At 24 years old with that skill set, I'd take him on the Wings in a heartbeat.

Well you could easily say Ovechkin has an NBA attitude too heck when it comes down to it NBA, soccer and football often go hand in hand bad attitude wise but especially football and soccer are known for their over the top celebrations. Especially Ovechkin and his stick on fire dance was embarassing.

Yeah the microscope in the Habs universe is tremendous their front office should take a page out of how the Wings are doing things, big city original 6 franchise but the players aren't under that constant microscope.

Personally I would not risk a cursed locker-room because some guy things he can be above the team. If THE captain nor Lids weren't above the team nobody else should even dare to claim something like that and thats exactly why I think players need to fit in personalitywise also.

Are people being serious here? Subban is 24 and is can definitely be a franchise defenceman! Yeah he's got some growing up to do but he's won a Norris and would be great in the Red Wings system, and he has been coached by Babcock before. Sure he was sat out at the Olympics but that's because of the depth Canada had with right handed shots (which by the way we like on our defence). Pat Kane also has 'growing up to do' you would argue but on the ice nobody cares, he puts up the points. Similar things were said when Kessel got traded (doesn't fit the system, blah blah blah) and Seguin (immature, doesn't improve his game, blah blah blah) and look at where they are now with a change of setting

With all that being said, there's virtually no chance he ends up in Detroit but if they called us I would put together one hell of a package to land him.

The package to get Subban might be close to what it would cost to land both Kesler and Edler and I'd rather have Kesler and Edler.

Might I ask who this #1 Dman is?

Subban would instantly be our most talented guy on the blueline - just that he may have attitude issues (that all depends upon who you listen to).

Dumb as this may sound - maybe a little mentoring by Lids might get a guy like Subban to change his ways, but then again it's questionable if Babcock would want him on the Wings.

Our #1 d-man is Kronwall. I agree that Subban is better. But we don't need that because there's nothing wrong with Kronwall at #1. Everybody always seems to think you need a team full of all-stars to compete. You don't. We've got a #1, we don't have a #3. So rather than spend insane assets to get a star, just to say that we got a star, why not just get the #3 that we need and keep our assets?

And that's no knock on Subban, I like Subban, he's awesome...we just don't need him for what he'd cost.

If we only needed one player to put us over the top it would make sense to go after Subban, but the Wings need two if not three players and spending all our bullets on Subban is unwise IMHO.

Edited by wings87

If we only needed one player to put us over the top it would make sense to go after Subban, but the Wings need two if not three players and spending all our bullets on Subban is unwise IMHO.

How so? With the kids performing the biggest weakness is the 2-4 slot on D. Subban would be a #1b with Kronner at #1a. That slides everyone else down one and instantly fills our top4 defensive need.

How so? With the kids performing the biggest weakness is the 2-4 slot on D. Subban would be a #1b with Kronner at #1a. That slides everyone else down one and instantly fills our top4 defensive need.

Datsyuk is playing on one leg, Z is out, and so is Weiss; tonight we have Andersson centering the first line. As much as the Wings need a defenceman they also badly need another solid top six forward.

Datsyuk is playing on one leg, Z is out, and so is Weiss; tonight we have Andersson centering the first line. As much as the Wings need a defenceman they also badly need another solid top six forward.

Those are all temporary absences. The D is healthy and still inadequate. I understand your reasoning, Z, D, and Weiss aren't playing, so it is an immediate need. However, I just want to point out that it isn't a permanent need.

Those are all temporary absences. The D is healthy and still inadequate. I understand your reasoning, Z, D, and Weiss aren't playing, so it is an immediate need. However, I just want to point out that it isn't a permanent need.

I get your point, but I think that a forward has been a need for several seasons now. Holland went out and got Weiss who has become a giant question mark going forward. I agree that with the emergence of the younger forwards a scorer is less a priority but take into account how good Kindle was last year and how bad he has been this year. While we love our younger players you can never be sure how they'll be next year. A proven scorer would help balance out the youth, but yeah a top D is still a giant need; it has been ever since Rafalski left.

As much as I love Kronwall he is more of a number 2 defenceman, Lidstrom was the number one guy and Kronwall isn't quite their. But whatever that's not important.

As far as Subban no way is he getting traded for a couple reasons:

1. Too high of a price tag I don't think there is a team that would match it.

2. With that high a price tag teams still don't know what type of player he is. He has massive potential but will he ever reach it?

And lastly I'd rather have Edler then Subban, too many unknowns with P.K.

If Lids is your benchmark for a #1 Dman, then there isn't one in the entire NHL, nor may there ever be again.

if its upto Babs then he stays in Montreal just like Babs had him stay in the press box during the Olympics.

We don't have Weber, Doughty, and Pietrangelo ahead on the RH depth chart

if its upto Babs then he stays in Montreal just like Babs had him stay in the press box during the Olympics.

It's one thing for Subban to be in the press box when your defensive pairings are Keith-Weber, Vlasic-Doughty, Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo.

When your options are Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, Quincey, Smith, Kindl, and Lashoff, it's a different story.

Not wanting to de-rail the topic at hand, but how many of these other Dmen had won the Norris Trophy?

I'd love to see Subban in a Wings jersey - it's just that the powers to be have peculiar habits when it comes to using what you've acquired.

Well, the Norris doesn't mean you actually have to be good at defense anymore (also see: Karlsson). Otherwise Weber would have one.

Knowing Babs defense first mentality, it's not surprising Subban would be sitting in an elimination tournament. But he's more dynamic than anyone on the Wings blueline. The hope is that he would mature and buy into the system while retaining his better qualities. But there's definitely the risk that after a few big mistakes he'd be in Babcock's doghouse for good. Babs would have to buy into the whole thing as much as anyone.

The blind hate for subban is really weird. I know the Norris is not the end-all be-all when rating defensemen, but if we had an opportunity to pick up any other Norris winner, from the last several years, I can't help but feel there would be at least a little more support behind the idea.

It's also really weird how people discuss PK in a manner that is just not seen when discussing other players. I don't want to point to anyone in particular, so I'll just refer to an article in which they said PK is a hockey player with the attitude of a football player. What the hell does that mean?

Why is pk's arrogance any worse than Ovie? Why is it harder for people to get over subban than chelios? Why do we love Bert, who ended a guys career, but PK's character is irradeemable?

The worst things PK has done, according to some of you, are barely related to hockey. He's a young kid with the audacity to have a skill-set possessed by very few other people, and he's arrogant about it. Guess what? He has a right to be arrogant. When he started playing mini-mites, every kid in the same situation had the same dream to make it to the show.

The comments hating on subban are exactly why this place has become borderline intolerable. So much of the opinions of subban either have nothing to do with his play or are so vague, they can't really be debated. (Lazy, stupid penalties). A lot of you keep throwing around the word arrogant when I think you mean uppity.

The blind hate for subban is really weird. I know the Norris is not the end-all be-all when rating defensemen, but if we had an opportunity to pick up any other Norris winner, from the last several years, I can't help but feel there would be at least a little more support behind the idea.

It's also really weird how people discuss PK in a manner that is just not seen when discussing other players. I don't want to point to anyone in particular, so I'll just refer to an article in which they said PK is a hockey player with the attitude of a football player. What the hell does that mean?

Why is pk's arrogance any worse than Ovie? Why is it harder for people to get over subban than chelios? Why do we love Bert, who ended a guys career, but PK's character is irradeemable?

The worst things PK has done, according to some of you, are barely related to hockey. He's a young kid with the audacity to have a skill-set possessed by very few other people, and he's arrogant about it. Guess what? He has a right to be arrogant. When he started playing mini-mites, every kid in the same situation had the same dream to make it to the show.

The comments hating on subban are exactly why this place has become borderline intolerable. So much of the opinions of subban either have nothing to do with his play or are so vague, they can't really be debated. (Lazy, stupid penalties). A lot of you keep throwing around the word arrogant when I think you mean uppity.

That last sentence sounds like you're calling all of us racist that's not cool.

Edited by wings87

That last sentence sounds like you're calling all of us racist that's not cool.

Okay. Good. Someone said it instead of me.

Not that The Greek is calling us racist... but that our possible distaste for Subban is.

I've heard this same rumbling about Evander Kane. :nono:

That's what you took away from that?? That was not hinted at or mentioned in any possible way...at all.

Talk about completely missing the point.

I prefer not to make a big deal out of this but when he uses the word uppity he is hinting. And that's just not right.

That's what you took away from that?? That was not hinted at or mentioned in any possible way...at all.

Talk about completely missing the point.

Um. ...not certain that wasn't the point The Greek was trying to make. Was just very diplomatic about it.

...but I think there was a bit of sarcasm in 87's response.

just my take-away.

EDIT: okay, maybe not on '87's part.

Can't we all just agree that Subban has swagger... and leave it at that.

Edited by e_prime

I prefer not to make a big deal out of this but when he uses the word uppity he is hinting. And that's just not right.

I've honestly never heard that word used in a racial connotation but after a quick google search I see now what you're referring to....

Omg this racism discussion is beyond stupid. He was barely 23/24 when he won the goddamn Norris trophy. If I won the Norris trophy at that age I would run my WHITE mouth at everyone in the league. Then eventually I'd hit 25 and stop being idot like most ppl that age.