• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

if its upto Babs then he stays in Montreal just like Babs had him stay in the press box during the Olympics.

We don't have Weber, Doughty, and Pietrangelo ahead on the RH depth chart

#42 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,012 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

if its upto Babs then he stays in Montreal just like Babs had him stay in the press box during the Olympics.

It's one thing for Subban to be in the press box when your defensive pairings are Keith-Weber, Vlasic-Doughty, Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo. 

When your options are Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, Quincey, Smith, Kindl, and Lashoff, it's a different story. 

#43 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:14 PM

We don't have Weber, Doughty, and Pietrangelo ahead on the RH depth chart

It's one thing for Subban to be in the press box when your defensive pairings are Keith-Weber, Vlasic-Doughty, Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo. 

When your options are Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, Quincey, Smith, Kindl, and Lashoff, it's a different story. 

Not wanting to de-rail the topic at hand, but how many of these other Dmen had won the Norris Trophy?

I'd love to see Subban in a Wings jersey - it's just that the powers to be have peculiar habits when it comes to using what you've acquired.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#44 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,012 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

Not wanting to de-rail the topic at hand, but how many of these other Dmen had won the Norris Trophy?

I'd love to see Subban in a Wings jersey - it's just that the powers to be have peculiar habits when it comes to using what you've acquired.

Well, the Norris doesn't mean you actually have to be good at defense anymore (also see: Karlsson).  Otherwise Weber would have one.  

Knowing Babs defense first mentality, it's not surprising Subban would be sitting in an elimination tournament.  But he's more dynamic than anyone on the Wings blueline.  The hope is that he would mature and buy into the system while retaining his better qualities.  But there's definitely the risk that after a few big mistakes he'd be in Babcock's doghouse for good.  Babs would have to buy into the whole thing as much as anyone. 

#45 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

Hell no!!!!!

#46 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

The blind hate for subban is really weird. I know the Norris is not the end-all be-all when rating defensemen, but if we had an opportunity to pick up any other Norris winner, from the last several years, I can't help but feel there would be at least a little more support behind the idea.

It's also really weird how people discuss PK in a manner that is just not seen when discussing other players. I don't want to point to anyone in particular, so I'll just refer to an article in which they said PK is a hockey player with the attitude of a football player. What the hell does that mean?

Why is pk's arrogance any worse than Ovie? Why is it harder for people to get over subban than chelios? Why do we love Bert, who ended a guys career, but PK's character is irradeemable?

The worst things PK has done, according to some of you, are barely related to hockey. He's a young kid with the audacity to have a skill-set possessed by very few other people, and he's arrogant about it. Guess what? He has a right to be arrogant. When he started playing mini-mites, every kid in the same situation had the same dream to make it to the show.

The comments hating on subban are exactly why this place has become borderline intolerable. So much of the opinions of subban either have nothing to do with his play or are so vague, they can't really be debated. (Lazy, stupid penalties). A lot of you keep throwing around the word arrogant when I think you mean uppity.

#47 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:43 PM

The blind hate for subban is really weird. I know the Norris is not the end-all be-all when rating defensemen, but if we had an opportunity to pick up any other Norris winner, from the last several years, I can't help but feel there would be at least a little more support behind the idea.

It's also really weird how people discuss PK in a manner that is just not seen when discussing other players. I don't want to point to anyone in particular, so I'll just refer to an article in which they said PK is a hockey player with the attitude of a football player. What the hell does that mean?

Why is pk's arrogance any worse than Ovie? Why is it harder for people to get over subban than chelios? Why do we love Bert, who ended a guys career, but PK's character is irradeemable?

The worst things PK has done, according to some of you, are barely related to hockey. He's a young kid with the audacity to have a skill-set possessed by very few other people, and he's arrogant about it. Guess what? He has a right to be arrogant. When he started playing mini-mites, every kid in the same situation had the same dream to make it to the show.

The comments hating on subban are exactly why this place has become borderline intolerable. So much of the opinions of subban either have nothing to do with his play or are so vague, they can't really be debated. (Lazy, stupid penalties). A lot of you keep throwing around the word arrogant when I think you mean uppity.

That last sentence sounds like you're calling all of us racist that's not cool.

Edited by wings87, 04 March 2014 - 11:44 PM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#48 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:48 PM

Okay.  Good.  Someone said it instead of me.

Not that The Greek is calling us racist... but that our possible distaste for Subban is.

I've heard this same rumbling about Evander Kane.   :nono:

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#49 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:51 PM

That's what you took away from that?? That was not hinted at or mentioned in any possible way...at all.

Talk about completely missing the point.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#50 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:56 PM

That's what you took away from that?? That was not hinted at or mentioned in any possible way...at all.

I prefer not to make a big deal out of this but when he uses the word uppity he is hinting. And that's just not right.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#51 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Um. ...not certain that wasn't the point The Greek was trying to make. Was just very diplomatic about it.

...but I think there was a bit of sarcasm in 87's response. 

just my take-away.

EDIT:  okay, maybe not on '87's part.

Can't we all just agree that Subban has swagger... and leave it at that.

Edited by e_prime, 04 March 2014 - 11:58 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#52 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

I prefer not to make a big deal out of this but when he uses the word uppity he is hinting. And that's just not right.

I've honestly never heard that word used in a racial connotation but after a quick google search I see now what you're referring to....

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#53 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:53 AM

Omg this racism discussion is beyond stupid. He was barely 23/24 when he won the goddamn Norris trophy. If I won the Norris trophy at that age I would run my WHITE mouth at everyone in the league. Then eventually I'd hit 25 and stop being idot like most ppl that age.

#54 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:51 AM

I think the Norris thing should be divided one trophy for the best DEFENDER and one for offensive production.

Karlsson winning it was absolute rob job against Weber that year.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#55 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

Subban is black, has an NBA attitude.  Ovenchicken is white and Russian, he has a soccer attitude.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#56 Fred_Bear

Fred_Bear

Prospect

• 33 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

If Subban is available for a decent price, the Wings would be crazy not to take a look. Personality is one thing, play is another... Subban would step in and either push Kronwall's game forward or replace him as the foundation of the defense (not that he wouldn't deserve it with the Norris he's already won). For all the talk of 'immature' penalties, Kronwall actually has a worse penalty differential than Subban does this season (-15 for Kronwall to -9 for Subban).

Subban is more aggressive in his play that what the Wings are today, in both ends... He has twice as many shots as any Detroit D-man, 50% more hits, and has still managed to block nearly as many shots as Kronwall... He would be represent a huge upgrade over any non-Kronwall defenseman and could really open up more options on the power play. The fact that Montreal tries to make him look like a bad guy or immature kid in the media to keep his cap hit down shouldn't really factor into what he can do on the ice...

#57 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

I wasn't calling everyone racist, but I was, indeed, saying that MUCH of the PK hate is race based. I just don't like throwing the word around, because a lot of white people refuse to believe that racism is still a problem, and many people may not be aware of their own prejudices. I prefer to let people confront the issue themselves, because it is the only way some people will realize what truly influences their opinions.

There are people who really don't like arrogance or showmanship. I have no issue with that. There were several people who hated Tatar and mursak's goal celebrations. But I do remember most posters not having a problem with it. I just find it strange that his "arrogance" is enough for some people to not want one of the game's Best defenseman on their team.

Admittedly, with the arrogance stuff, it's a bit of a wash. Nonetheless, there is still an undoubtable amount of PK hate that is race based. Saying he is a hockey player with the attitude of a football player is a clear illustration of this. I just really wish I could find the article, because something very similar was said In this thread.

#58 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

I wasn't calling everyone racist, but I was, indeed, saying that MUCH of the PK hate is race based. I just don't like throwing the word around, because a lot of white people refuse to believe that racism is still a problem, and many people may not be aware of their own prejudices. I prefer to let people confront the issue themselves, because it is the only way some people will realize what truly influences their opinions.

There are people who really don't like arrogance or showmanship. I have no issue with that. There were several people who hated Tatar and mursak's goal celebrations. But I do remember most posters not having a problem with it. I just find it strange that his "arrogance" is enough for some people to not want one of the game's Best defenseman on their team.

Admittedly, with the arrogance stuff, it's a bit of a wash. Nonetheless, there is still an undoubtable amount of PK hate that is race based. Saying he is a hockey player with the attitude of a football player is a clear illustration of this. I just really wish I could find the article, because something very similar was said In this thread.

Yeah sure everyone who disagrees with something is a racist, its a simple fact that Subban, Kadri, Yakupov, Eller, Ovechkin, E Kane are having a football, NBA, soccer attitude and in hockey that's simple not appreciated showmanship, over the top celebrations aren't wanted period. Don't like what others are writing? Don't read its as simple as that. I have my opinion on this guy and I will not change it, neither will his supporters so really there is nothing between the lines.

The current best defenders are named Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo, Chara, Doughty and Keith why? Because they aren't playing like 4 forwards and are getting the job done defensively.

Edited by frankgrimes, 05 March 2014 - 03:01 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#59 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

Yeah sure everyone who disagrees with something is a racist, its a simple fact that Subban, Kadri, Yakupov, Eller, Ovechkin, E Kane are having a football, NBA, soccer attitude and in hockey that's simple not appreciated showmanship, over the top celebrations aren't wanted period. Don't like what others are writing? Don't read its as simple as that. I have my opinion on this guy and I will not change it, neither will his supporters so really there is nothing between the lines.

The current best defenders are named Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo, Chara, Doughty and Keith why? Because they aren't playing like 4 forwards and are getting the job done defensively.

I didn't say everyone who dislikes pk is a racist. I did say that a lot of the PK hate is due to racial prejudice. I also said that there are people who dislike arrogance across the board, and that is a consistent and legitimate viewpoint to have. I didn't want to single out your post, because I didn't want to seem like I'm picking on you and it's not fair to accuse individuals of racism when I don't truly know their motivations. But, You really should have left this one alone. If you really think all showboating is the same, you PROBABLY would have agreed when someone brought up ovechkin as an example of an nba attitude. Instead, you said he has more of a soccer attitude. Now you're saying that NBA/NFL/Soccer attitudes are all the same, because it works with your argument.

Your reaction to my post (everyone who disagrees with you is racist) is exactly why I hate discussing race with other white people. It is exactly what I was talking about when I said many people stop listening once the "race card" is played. The fact of the matter is that racism is still a problem. When guys show up to the Olympics in blackface and subban jerseys, and a player gets suspended for asking PK if he slipped on a banana peel, it becomes hard to argue that there is no race-based resentment towards subban.

#60 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

P.K. Subban is a spectacular puck-moving defenseman who can take big influence on a game with his end-to-end rushes. Is a very good skater and is able to shake of fore-checking forwards with quick stops or sharp turns and decent puck-control. Possesses a hard and accurate slap-shot, which is especially on the power play a weapon. Battles hard on every shift, but discipline is an issue as he takes stupid and often badly-timed penalties.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.