40 replies to this topic

#1 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:33 AM

Gordie Howe is “Mr. Hockey,” Steve Yzerman “The Captain.”

Nicklas Lidstrom does not have a definitive nickname.

Half the time, it seems, his last name is mispronounced even by the most ardent Red Wings’ fans as “Lindstrom.”

Or it’s simply, “Nick.”

The latter part is fitting because the brilliance of Nicklas Lidstrom during his two decades along the blue line for the Red Wings was his understated and overwhelmingly effective performance.

To a generation of hockey fans, raised in the 1950s and 1960s, Gordie Howe will always be the greatest Red Wing of all time.

To another generation, those raised beyond the early 1980s, it is overwhelmingly Steve Yzerman.

Yet, with all due respect to Mr. Hockey and The Captain, the greatest Red Wing of all is Lidstrom, whose uniform No.5 will be retired by the organization Thursday night before a game vs. Colorado at Joe Louis Arena.

Continues at length and whether you agree or not it's a good read.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#2 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:45 AM

I love Nick.....but Gordie is the greatest Wing

#3 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

tumblr_n1vxzcoMrn1rgjwupo5_250.giftumblr_n1vxzcoMrn1rgjwupo3_250.giftumblr_n1vxzcoMrn1rgjwupo4_250.gif

tumblr_n1vxzcoMrn1rgjwupo1_250.giftumblr_n1vxzcoMrn1rgjwupo2_250.gif

#4 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

Perfect human was and still is his nickname

#5 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

Howe was the best all around player ever, so no, Lidstrom isn't the greatest Wing ever.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#6 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

It's hard to compare to howe...none of us saw him in his prime.

lidstrom is undoubtedly a better player than yzerman, though.

#7 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:36 AM

Hard to compete with the legacy of Howe and Yzerman, but Lidstrom probably has a good case for Greatest Wing of All Time in terms of his impact on the team's success. Wings were a cup contender for almost every season he played here. They weren't before him or after him. 

#8 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

I love Nick, but Mr. Hockey was the greatest Wing ever.  If you want to say The Perfect Human was the greatest Wing defenseman ever, not many would have the sense of humor to argue that.  Gordie, bar none, the greatest all-around hockey player to ever lace them up for the Wings.

I will be attending tomorrow's game and just may shed a little tear.  Greatest of all time or not, this was a huge loss to our team and the sport in general.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#9 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

St. Nick

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#10 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

Couldn't disagree more. Especially since comparing a center to a defenseman isn't so easy to do. But IMO Yzerman was definitely the greatest Red Wing of all time.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#11 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

Couldn't disagree more. Especially since comparing a center to a defenseman isn't so easy to do. But IMO Yzerman was definitely the greatest Red Wing of all time.

over the course of their careers, when you look at what lidstrom did as a defenseman compared to other dmen, vs. what yzerman did as a center compared to other centers, it's not even really close.

if i had to start a team with a 20 year old lidstrom vs. a 20 year old yzerman...well, i think that choice is a no-brainer.

#12 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

I like to think we have a Legendary top 3 in Yzerman, Howe and Lidstrom.  All 3 different players, I don't give 2 s***s who's the best, I'm just glad they were all long time Red Wings that enrich the organization with a beautiful history.  When you look at the rafters at the Joe, it's got some pretty amazing names up there.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#13 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

I think it's a very personal question, and you'll get a different answer from each fan. Was Gordie Howe the "greatest" Red Wing? Probably, but no one will ever mean more to me in the winged wheel than Steve Yzerman. Like ZWD said, we are damn lucky to even be having this conversation.

That being said, I am gutted that I will be on the other side of the country when Nick's jersey is raised. I will leave work early, ensure that I have copious amounts of alcohol on hand, and weep like a child. As it should be.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#14 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

Be thankful that we can have this argument among players who are actually GREAT, as opposed to the greatest Blue Jacket of all time.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#15 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhh, no.

howeelbows.jpg

"He's got more elbows than an octopus; if an octopus has elbows." - Frank Selke.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#16 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

First time I've ever agreed with you.  Lidstrom is a top-5, arguably top-3 defenceman of all time.  Yzerman wasn't even the 3rd best center of his era.

But Yzerman certainly means more to the Wings fanbase, taking them from the Dead Wings to 3 Stanley Cups.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#17 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

How do you compare players from different eras? Howe was the best of his era. Its difficult for me to make any other judgement.

#18 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

Criteria for greatest Wing ever also has to take into account what they did after playing. Gordie for the most part has stayed a part of the WIngs. Hes always around promoting the club. DIdnt he and his wife help form the old Junior Red Wings?

#19 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Comparison of Lids to Yzerman is probably that Lids was by far the better player, but Yzerman seemed to give more. Playing on one or no knees and probably significantly shortening a career so he could give his all. Nick in a way was the opposite: playing as good as possible for as long as possible, with very little risk in terms of longevity, and even the individual plays on the ice. Nick made the best decisions, Stevie made the right ones. Both are incomparable but I got to watch more of Lids so will always hold him in the highest esteem. But having seen how Gordie is still revered in the locker room shows he's the man to beat.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#20 midnightpulp

midnightpulp

Prospect

• Restricted
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

Man, I just don't get how you can compare a player from the 50's to a modern day guy.... it just doesn't work, tbh...