I'm sorta partial to #19.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

When your nickname is Mr. Hockey, and you play for a team for 25 years, it's hard to say anyone was a better player for that franchise.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:19 PM

Bummer. Mr. and Mrs. I won't be able to attend Nick's ceremony.

In a statement, Mike Ilitch said: "While Marian and I would love to be there, we won't be at tomorrow's jersey retirement for Nick Lidstrom. This past year, I had a medical procedure that has kept me out of the spotlight for awhile. I feel much better now, and I'm stronger every day. While we may not attend every event, we never miss a game on TV and are very involved in all our businesses every day from home and the office.

http://msn.foxsports.com/detroit/story/red-wings-owners-unable-to-attend-lidstrom-ceremony-030514 

#24 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

No surprise. Mr I looks more and more like walking death every time hes seen in public.

#25 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

When your nickname is Mr. Hockey, and you play for a team for 25 years, it's hard to say anyone was a better player for that franchise.  

Lidstrom is one of a few that could make a case.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#26 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

I would just assume that the consensus would be that Stevie is generally the most beloved player for those of us that never witnessed Gordie. That being said, I do believe Nick was the most important and valuable player during the Wings run of success.

Those names in the rafters, though. Quite a collection of franchise greats. I hope the Wings never get away from truly reserving the honor for the elite. Nick will fit right in.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#27 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:04 AM

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#28 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:11 AM

Lidstrom's regular season and playoffs highlights:

Amazing job by awood40! :clap:

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#29 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

I always go one step further: I call Mr. Howe the greatest complete NHL player of all time.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#30 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

Lidstrom number two to Howe, IMHOz

Edited by TheXym, 06 March 2014 - 08:51 PM.

It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#31 Firefighter4WingedWheel

Firefighter4WingedWheel

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

Comparing players from different eras gets you as far as comparing Jordan to LeBron.  It just doesn't work.  IMO, Jordan > LeBron.  I grew up watching Lidstrom so I'm partial to him.  Was a very impactful night watching one of my favorite players get his jersey raised.

12058313233_9807d41377_o.jpg

#32 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Blade Brunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

statistics

Lidstrom 4 cups

Yzerman 3 cups

no cups after these guys....

Bring back No. 91

#33 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

because of our ages and time, many don't fully understand just how good guys like Howe, Abel, delvecchio, Lindsey etc..... were. As much as I love The Captain, he isn't even our best all time C. Howe is regarded by just about everyone as the greatest of all time. Even Gretzky considers him so. hell the Soviet Union was always rumored to have patterned their entire hockey program on him.

This is not meant to cast Nick in a bad light or anything. He is either the best or second best Dman of all time. In some ways he gets overlooked. he was so quite and steady. Never hurt, never angry, never dirty play, just went about his business every day and did his job-which was to shut down the other teams top forward line.

#34 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

He will always be the greatest to me.

#35 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

Comparison of Lids to Yzerman is probably that Lids was by far the better player, but Yzerman seemed to give more. Playing on one or no knees and probably significantly shortening a career so he could give his all. Nick in a way was the opposite: playing as good as possible for as long as possible, with very little risk in terms of longevity, and even the individual plays on the ice. Nick made the best decisions, Stevie made the right ones. Both are incomparable but I got to watch more of Lids so will always hold him in the highest esteem. But having seen how Gordie is still revered in the locker room shows he's the man to beat.

Then again, Lidstrom played in the 2009 finals with a stitched up ball-sac after emergency surgery to quite literally save his testicles.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#36 The Datsyukian Deke

The Datsyukian Deke

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

Comparing players from different eras gets you as far as comparing Jordan to LeBron.  It just doesn't work.  IMO, Jordan > LeBron.  I grew up watching Lidstrom so I'm partial to him.  Was a very impactful night watching one of my favorite players get his jersey raised.

IMO it goes even further. Not only shouldn't we compare players from different ages, it's also very hard to compare different positions. Plus, the number of titles you win depends on the teams around you and the strength of the league at that time. Therefore I don't see any reasonable way to compare players from different ages/positions.

Lidstrom: "Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me."

#37 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

gallery_16438_33_603816.jpg

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#38 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

I didn't see Howe play, so I cannot comment on him.

I suspect those who claim Lidstrom was the better Wing (and that's what this thread is titled--the better Wing not player) didn't see Yzerman carry this team on his back before Lidstrom arrived. Throughout the 80's, the Wings were Steve Yzerman and not much else.

Listening to Lidstrom speak last night, it's clear that he believes Steve is the greatest Wing of all time.

#39 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:39 PM

1.Howe

2. Yzerman IMO people tend to forget how big of a part of shedding the dead wings label he was, he was the face of the org for a very long time. But I am biased because he is my favorite player of all time!

2B. Lids

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#40 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

1.Howe

2. Yzerman IMO people tend to forget how big of a part of shedding the dead wings label he was, he was the face of the org for a very long time. But I am biased because he is my favorite player of all time!

2B. Lids

^This

The way I see it, Nick carried this team on his shoulders for the majority of his career, but Stevie lifted the team out of the depths and restored it to glory. Yzerman always has been and always be my favorite player of all-time, so I am biased in his favor, but as others have said how lucky we are that we get to have the discussion about which of our hockey royalty best represents the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate