• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

I made a quick spreadsheet of all the transactions KH has orchestrated since 2009. It is insanely unimpressive. It's just trades/signings. I didn't add drafting, because who knows how that will turn out.

#2 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:11 PM

i can't believe he's just sitting there not making a trade. With the current state of the team and the fact we are in the cusp of the playoffs

#3 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Kyle Quincey is our biggest trade deadline acquisition in the last 5 years....

:/

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#4 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Can't see it, don't have a Google account.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#5 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

You don't need a spreadsheet to know that Ken Holland will never be mistaken for Glen Sather or Paul Holmgren.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#6 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

Some good hockey deals in there

#7 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

This brings up the following serious questions:

1). What deal went down that KH missed, where the winner of that deal resulted in a SCF or even Conference Final ?

2). Where would we be if we would have gotten that deal?

Like the Parise/Suter Sweepstakes, for example. Where is Minne now, and where would we be?

Edited by T.Low, 05 March 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#8 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

You just stop it with that reasonable and measured response T.Low! 

We want action!! We want more rows, columns, and fields on our spreadsheet filled in!!   :ninja:

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#9 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

I made a quick spreadsheet of all the transactions KH has orchestrated since 2009. It is insanely unimpressive. It's just trades/signings. I didn't add drafting, because who knows how that will turn out. he's drafted Ferraro, Tatar, Jensen, Callahan, AA1, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Pulkinnen, Mrazek, Jurco, Oullet, Sproul, Backman, Marchenko, AA2 and Mantha, and it makes it a lot harder for Holland bashers to bash him

FTFY

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#10 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

FTFY

OR....OR... Of those players you listed 2 are in the NHL. Now there's no doubt a lot of those guys may become something great, but who knows? On the flip side, how many of those trades/FA signings have panned out?

#11 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

It doesn't make you any less of a fan to be able to ask the tough questions about the team you root for instead of blindly drinking the Kool Aid.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#12 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

Kool-Aid!  I love Kool-Aid.  Ecto-cooler is my absolute favorite.

#13 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

Kool-Aid!  I love Kool-Aid.  Ecto-cooler is my absolute favorite.

That's HI-C, son. Get it straight.

#14 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

Any sugar-y beverage will do.

#15 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

1). What deal went down that KH missed, where the winner of that deal resulted in a SCF or even Conference Final ?

Like the Parise/Suter Sweepstakes, for example. Where is Minne now, and where would we be?

this is an excellent point though. Especially 2. What honestly would things have looked like now if we'd got Suter? One can only dream….

temp 1

#16 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

I want action, too, no doubt about it. But too many people think that because someone else got a guy we liked, that KH just sat and ate popcorn watching the deal go down.

But like I said yesterday, while some have wondered why we haven't gotten Edler yet, for example, it's because Gillis requested Tatar Sheahan and Smith in return! I want to acquire Edler,Mobutu not at that price!

It's worse than dealing with jokers on Craigslist: everyone thinks their s*** is Gold Treasure!

I was one of the guys spouting off about trading Franzen for Burrows. Now look , holy crap I'd be beating my head against a wall if KH would have listened to me on that one.

#17 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:43 PM

this is an excellent point though. Especially 2. What honestly would things have looked like now if we'd got Suter? One can only dream….

Coulda, woulda, shoulda... didn't/couldn't.

#18 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

If we signed Parise and Suter we'd be contenders. They got too much money and years though so I'm okay with it

#19 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

If we signed Parise and Suter we'd be contenders. They got too much money and years though so I'm okay with it

In a year or two their deals will be pretty good.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#20 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

I don't think those are fair questions.

1) The result another team got in no way indicates what would have happened with the Wings, good or bad, if they made that deal.

2) This is impossible to know. 

I criticize Holland not so much for specific deals he's missed out on, but the moves (and lack thereof) that he has made over the last few years.  I assume Holland is working his ass off and on the phone trying to put deals together.  But so what.  That's his job.  What counts for a GM is the deals you actually make, not how close you came to a good one.

He painted himself into a corner with Lidstrom retiring so he even had to participate in the Suter sweepstakes.  Lidstrom retiring was a known issue.  Stuart back to California was a known issue. 

The Samuelsson and Tootoo signings were both awful.  Giving up a first to bring in Quincey.  Not getting anything back on players he developed like Flip and Hudler.  Re-signging Cleary and pinning himself against the cap and roster limitations so good players rot in the minors. 

Holland has had a lot of success as GM.  He's been the master at tweaking a great team to keep it going, but he has done little to show he can successfully "rebuild on the fly."