Dave

Ken Holland's Moves From 2009-2014

Rate this topic

Recent bad moves:

Quincey for a 1st

Franzen over Hossa

Legwand for Jarnkrok +3rd

Letting Filppula walk

Signing Weiss to a 5 year contract without proving himself since injuries derailed his season past

Sammy

Coliacovo

Tootoo

Cleary re-sign (also instead of Brunner which is partially not his fault)

To a lesser extent not going to extra mile to get Suter/Parise

Modano

and the worst of all...... not retiring when he said he would (when lids retired) - if he had we would be far better off.

Recent good moves:

Hossa fell in Holland's lap

Dekeyser fell in Holland's lap

Alfie fell in Holland's lap

Getting Stuart originally

Letting Leino Walk

Holland is doing far more damage than good to this team in my opinion. The team has consistently regressed. At this point I would prefer a fresh set of eyes to assess the current situation and go forward. I honestly don't give 2 s***s if Legwand is from Detroit - it isn't worth overpaying for him. I can only imagine Holland would have ponied up Nyquist + Mantha + Dekeyser for Kesler if Kesler was 33 instead of 30. He would have but Kesler isn't washed up enough for his taste. Players come to detroit and relax rather than work hard. The exception is Alfie and the rookies who are proving themselves. Bert, Cleary, Sammy, Weiss all came/re-signed here and just took it to signal the end of their careers and join the country club. I hope Legwand doesn't turn out that way.

Recent bad moves:

Quincey for a 1st

Franzen over Hossa

Letting Filppula walk

Signing Weiss to a 5 year contract without proving himself since injuries derailed his season past

Sammy

Coliacovo

Tootoo

Modano

and the worst of all...... not retiring when he said he would (when lids retired) - if he had we would be far better off.

Recent good moves:

Letting Leino Walk

Holland is doing far more damage than good to this team in my opinion. The team has consistently regressed. At this point I would prefer a fresh set of eyes to assess the current situation and go forward. I honestly don't give 2 s***s if Legwand is from Detroit - it isn't worth overpaying for him. I can only imagine Holland would have ponied up Nyquist + Mantha + Dekeyser for Kesler if Kesler was 33 instead of 30. He would have but Kesler isn't washed up enough for his taste. Players come to detroit and relax rather than work hard. The exception is Alfie and the rookies who are proving themselves. Bert, Cleary, Sammy, Weiss all came/re-signed here and just took it to signal the end of their careers and join the country club. I hope Legwand doesn't turn out that way.

This has been beaten to death but here we go again..those 2 were never going to play in Detroit, we offered just as much money, they wanted to play in MInny..end of story..it's been well documented 3243434 times on here. But hey whatever you have to do to blame Holland for something. I mean all he good things he did just fell in his lap as you say? So he just sits in his office and the phone rings and guys just come here? Cmon

This has been beaten to death but here we go again..those 2 were never going to play in Detroit, we offered just as much money, they wanted to play in MInny..end of story..it's been well documented 3243434 times on here. But hey whatever you have to do to blame Holland for something. I mean all he good things he did just fell in his lap as you say? So he just sits in his office and the phone rings and guys just come here? Cmon

Holland is stupid and only makes bad decisions didn't you know? I mean come on if you're going to post here you need to ignore all the good things Holland and any vets bring to the table and only focus on the bad. Rule number one around here.

Sure - thats the deal breaker for you - overlook the rest and pick on that one thing. I said "to a lesser extent."

Recent bad moves:

Quincey for a 1st

Franzen over Hossa

Letting Filppula walk

Sammy

Coliacovo

Tootoo

Modano

Recent good moves:

Letting Leino Walk

Haha, 4 cups since he's been here, I'm pretty sure the only place to go after you win a cup is down. Never mind those cups fell in his lap, those were all Bowman's work , even the one in 2008 after he was no where even close to the franchise. It will be 6 years without a cup if we don't win one this year....I mean 6 whole years. ;)

Haha, 4 cups since he's been here, I'm pretty sure the only place to go after you win a cup is down. Never mind those cups fell in his lap, those were all Bowman's work , even the one in 2008 after he was no where even close to the franchise. It will be 6 years without a cup if we don't win one this year....I mean 6 whole years. ;)

The post was clearly marked "Recent moves." In the last 6 years we HAVE regressed significantly - you have to agree with that.

Sure - thats the deal breaker for you - overlook the rest and pick on that one thing. I said "to a lesser extent."

I don't disagree with any of the other ones, Hindsight will drive you crazy if thats how you live. No one wanted to sign Flip for what he wanted so he moved on but in hindsight if we could've seen what a train wreck Weiss was going to be of course we would've gave him that money. Quincey for a 1st was terrible, you don't think Holland will admit that? Sammy, Tootoo, Cleary.. low risk signings that in the grand scheme of things haven't made much difference because they got hurt and we got the kids in the lineup for them anyways.

The post was clearly marked "Recent moves." In the last 6 years we HAVE regressed significantly - you have to agree with that.

Like I said if you are going from 2008 of course we have. But we lost in the finals in 2009 ( still hurts alot that one) , lost in 2nd round 3 times and 1st round to Nashville once, of course things haven't been quite right but hey you gotta get there to have a chance and this franchise prides itself on doing that every year.

I don't disagree with any of the other ones, Hindsight will drive you crazy if thats how you live. No one wanted to sign Flip for what he wanted so he moved on but in hindsight if we could've seen what a train wreck Weiss was going to be of course we would've gave him that money. Quincey for a 1st was terrible, you don't think Holland will admit that? Sammy, Tootoo, Cleary.. low risk signings that in the grand scheme of things haven't made much difference because they got hurt and we got the kids in the lineup for them anyways.

Do you think the plethora of recent bad moves are an indicator that Holland has lost his instincts? He seems to be getting things wrong lately.

Well well I remember friends were calling me some names because I wanted Hossa over The Mule back then and already thinking about retooling. Good moves in terms of UFA during the last years Dekeyser (wanted to be here), Alfie the only reason he is here is because his owner is very cheap and tight on his internal budget, otherwise there is no way Alfie changes teams and I think everyone knows it (even if its just deep down).

Weiss has been coming off a serious injury and almost missed a full shortened season and yeah let's offer him 5 million per without even knowing, how is recovery is coming along AND if he fits the system. Yeah Clarkson is having a horrible season but he at least plays and tries hard..The first thing Babcock mentioned after the signing was "let's see how he fits with our system" does this sound like a GM and coach are on the same page ? I doubt it.

Whenever Babocks contract is up I don't think he is going to stay here, why should he the guy will have another job with a contender in a blink of a second.

Edited by frankgrimes

Weiss has been coming off a serious injury and almost missed a full shortened season and yeah let's offer him 5 million per without even knowing, how is recovery is coming along AND if he fits the system. Yeah Clarkson is having a horrible season but he at least plays and tries hard..e is going to stay here, why should he the guy will have another job with a contender in a blink of a second.

Clarkson sucks. He has no hockey sense, he's been suspended twice since becoming a Leaf, and his contract is nightmarish. (And yes, I realize I'm the same guy who wouldn't mind having Chris Stewart on our team. But, see, Chris Stewart can actually produce.) Weiss is a better player, he's just been hit with injuries.

Clarkson sucks. He has no hockey sense, he's been suspended twice since becoming a Leaf, and his contract is nightmarish. (And yes, I realize I'm the same guy who wouldn't mind having Chris Stewart on our team. But, see, Chris Stewart can actually produce.) Weiss is a better player, he's just been hit with injuries.

Well in hindsight neither of the two is a good signing so far, that's for sure. Chris Stewart didn't get along with Hitchcock him and Babs would absolutely hate each other after two weeks tops so I understand not going after him. Although for a franchise with so much resources it's a bit of a shame that we can't get any superstars to sign here or at least stars and sorry that's on Holland.