• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

gcom007

Legwand to Detroit for Eaves, Jarnkrok + cond 3rd/2nd

Rate this topic

Personally the only way of this making sense is Jarnkrok being dead set on going home if not highway robbery by Poile. The predators are coming along nicely Forsberg, Jarnkrok another great pick this year the west shouldn't underestimate this team. As for Holland, thanks for everything you've been one of the best in the past but please give the reigns someone else. I hope come off season we send a boat load of money to the captain and let him reebuild this team. Without Nyquist, Tatar, Dekeyser this team would have been boring to watch and is filled with stopgaps and we all know baring all the injuries neither Nyquist nor Tatar would have been up Tatar would have left and joined an SEL or KHL team...

I am asking this again because I just don't see a point in making the playoffs

if the chances are so heavily against you, what's the point of making the stupid playoffs screw the "streak" I'm interested in building for the future.

Yeah let's sell our only potential future top 6 center so Pittsburgh and Boston are getting a chance to sweep us and destroy us ... good plan Holland nah superb plan .. That's exactly why I would have been fine with standing pat if you trade Jarnkrok plus the return better be something like Ehrhoff you know a big f****** need. Already nervous about the draft I can see it now Nyquist, Mantha and a first for Jagr.

Edited by frankgrimes

No they insist on having a culture in place where you put in your time like others have before you and you earn your spot.

I agree that a player should put in his time and earn a spot, but I'm sure Nyquist would say that he spent too much time in the minors. As would Helm who kept getting called up for the playoffs but get sent down during regular season. I hate the whole over-ripe philosophy, when a player is ready he should get the chance.

I agree that a player should put in his time and earn a spot, but I'm sure Nyquist would say that he spent too much time in the minors. As would Helm who kept getting called up for the playoffs but get sent down during regular season. I hate the whole over-ripe philosophy, when a player is ready he should get the chance.

To add fuel to the fire - how does a guy like Weiss get a 5 year contract coming off an injury and never playing a game in a system like Detroit's and a kid like Jarnkrok can't get a chance in the lineup once?

To add fuel to the fire - how does a guy like Weiss get a 5 year contract coming off an injury and never playing a game in a system like Detroit's and a kid like Jarnkrok can't get a chance in the lineup once?

The previous 10 year NHL career may have had something to do with it.

I'm pissed about losing Jarnkrok, but I've had some time to cool down and think it through some more. The Wings absolutely need a center now that Datsyuk is going to miss three weeks, Zetterberg already shut down for the season, and Helm and Weiss now questionable going forward. Legwand was the best fit for our team that was moved, and Holland did what was necessary to land him. We can all speculate whether it was possible to acquire Legwand for less, but we ultimately will never know for sure. Maybe another team had a solid offer already on the table, or maybe Polie was playing hardball. Who knows. If Eaves, a 2nd/3rd, and Jarnkrok was a take-it-or-leave-it for Legwand, I think I would have pulled the trigger too, simply to give the Wings a fighting chance to make the playoffs.

As for Jarnkrok vs Legwand, we are losing a lot of potential, certainly. But we are getting a top 6 center man (who will be second only to Zetterberg for team scoring) with a proven record of being reliable both defensively and offensively. He's also able to help the team now (as opposed to three years from now), which is important. Jarnkrok, like all prospects, isn't a sure thing. There is no guarantee he even makes it to the NHL (especially with all the speculation that he returns to Sweden), and if he does make the NHL, there's no guarantee that he will be a top six centerman of Legwand's calibre.

It probably doesn't make it any easier for most of you to swallow, so instead I can just post what our lines could look like should we make the playoffs:

Zetterberg Datsyuk Franzen

Alfredson Legwand Nyqvist

Tatar Sheahan Jurco

Abdelkader Helm/Weiss Bertuzzi/Miller

Or any combination thereof.

Any way you want to write it up, that's an upset team.

The previous 10 year NHL career may have had something to do with it.

Coming off an injury - nobody knew what would happen. Some players are never the same. We are also dealing with 25 million versus measly pennies for a kid. I think Jarnkrok easily would have bested Weiss' stats this year with his ice time.

I actually I don't have a problem with Weiss, the Wings needed a 2nd line center and they went and got one who turned out to be a dud so far; which barring hind site no one could have predicted.

My issue would be how many talented players did Holland pass up on in the last 5-7 years? A lot of them were better then Weiss and yet he decided to give Sammy 3 mil a year and sign Weiss to 5 years.

When was the last time we were genuinely surprised and excited by a Holland move? The only two have been Alfie last year and Hossa in 09 otherwise most of his moves have been predictable, even today's Legwand move wasn't a surprise.

I'm pissed about losing Jarnkrok, but I've had some time to cool down and think it through some more. The Wings absolutely need a center now that Datsyuk is going to miss three weeks, Zetterberg already shut down for the season, and Helm and Weiss now questionable going forward. Legwand was the best fit for our team that was moved, and Holland did what was necessary to land him. We can all speculate whether it was possible to acquire Legwand for less, but we ultimately will never know for sure. Maybe another team had a solid offer already on the table, or maybe Polie was playing hardball. Who knows. If Eaves, a 2nd/3rd, and Jarnkrok was a take-it-or-leave-it for Legwand, I think I would have pulled the trigger too, simply to give the Wings a fighting chance to make the playoffs.

As for Jarnkrok vs Legwand, we are losing a lot of potential, certainly. But we are getting a top 6 center man (who will be second only to Zetterberg for team scoring) with a proven record of being reliable both defensively and offensively. He's also able to help the team now (as opposed to three years from now), which is important. Jarnkrok, like all prospects, isn't a sure thing. There is no guarantee he even makes it to the NHL (especially with all the speculation that he returns to Sweden), and if he does make the NHL, there's no guarantee that he will be a top six centerman of Legwand's calibre.

It probably doesn't make it any easier for most of you to swallow, so instead I can just post what our lines could look like should we make the playoffs:

Tatar Sheahan Jurco

The problem is the window for success. Weiss, Datsyuk, Z, Legwand will all be gone within years of each other likely. We traded away our next up and coming C to replace them. The task is now to find those replacements or we are screwed. If Legwand was 27 and filled out our age gaps I would have been much happier about the acquisition even if it cost more (which it would have).

Unless J-rok becomes a 1st line scorer in the NHL, I think I'm ok with this trade now.

I don't know if it's just me but I really want our playoff streak to survive so Legwand helps our team right now and maybe for 2-3 years (hopefully at like 2.5mil, even if maybe its unrealistic). We can pay him from the No Cleary/Bert/Sammy fund.

Pulkkinen sounds like he can be legit just from his shot alone. “He can create something out of nothing,” said Griffins head coach Jeff Blashill. “He can score goals from everywhere on the ice because he has an extremely dynamic shot — both his slap shot and his wrist shot. When goals are at such a premium in hockey, he’s one of those few guys who only needs one chance to score. His shot is that good.” http://www.redwingscentral.com/2014/03/03/4483/pulkkinen-becoming-a-commodity-in-a-hurry/ ... We have enough play makers on our team as Babcock is always begging people to shoot.

With prospects Pulkkinen, Mantha, Athanasiou.. and rookies Sheahan, Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist, Andy .... Kind of makes J-rok worth the risk to keep that streak I want alive. Athanasiou is a player on fire in the OHL from that aritcle he's had "...another hat trick on March 1. He’s had three other hat tricks since mid-December, with two four-goal games and a five-goal outburst."

Legwand will be a huge boost for these next three weeks cause we play a lot of games with few days between.

IF fully healthy and IF we make the playoffs

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Helm-Franzen
3a. Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco 3b. Legwand-Weiss/Andy-Abby

Cleary, Bert, Miller, Andy, Glen

Lots of depth and having Legwand over Miller I think adds a lot more offensive threat, skill, and experience. He's even better on PK than Miller.

All if we are healthy but if we are not, he's even more important.

... Wicked ... a weird bounce just tied the Montreal Game

see this is you talking as a preds fan.... Sure send him (s***) to Detroit his best days are behind him. Idgaf that he waived his ntc, he's trash and shoulda stayed where he belongs cuz 100% he don't belong in a wing jersey... f*** Holland really blessed your team, why do u make it seem like this trade was even 60-40 fair???

Dude... have some class

Tatar Sheahan Jurco

If we get healthy up front we can match with anyone, just need Jimmy to be Jimmy and the D to be steady.

Coming off an injury - nobody knew what would happen. Some players are never the same. We are also dealing with 25 million versus measly pennies for a kid. I think Jarnkrok easily would have bested Weiss' stats this year with his ice time.

I agree that nobody knew what could happen, but my point is that Weiss has proven that he can play in this league when healthy. Jarnkrok has not. I'm not disagreeing that in 3 years I would probably rather have Jarnkrok than Weiss. But right now I'd still rather have a guy that has proven he can play than one who hasn't. And I'd take Legwand over both of them.

The problem is the window for success. Weiss, Datsyuk, Z, Legwand will all be gone within years of each other likely. We traded away our next up and coming C to replace them. The task is now to find those replacements or we are screwed. If Legwand was 27 and filled out our age gaps I would have been much happier about the acquisition even if it cost more (which it would have).

I agree it would have been ideal to get a younger center, but based on who was and wasn't moved, that wasn't an option. Detroit was in the thick of the Kesler trade talk up until the Canucks pulled out. At that point the next best option became Legwand. He doesn't solve our problems five years from now, but he is the best option for success today. Holland had a choice to sacrifice a player who may (or may not) be a solid player years from now for a solution to our current injury problems and went for it. There's still several years to figure out who will replace our centers when they retire.

I was a Jarnkrok fan too. But, given the situation the Wings are in, it was a good trade. Legwand is a proven solid top six forward for at least five more years. I assume he will resign in Detroit for a reasonable price. Calle may not ever be a top six NHLer or even play in NA. The Wings are loaded with young forwards. Kenny knows all of this and how to do his job WAY MORE than any of us do. Relax people...or go away.

I WAS a jarnkrok fan. But looking at his evaluations and where he's at in his career I think this might end up being a very good looking deal in a few years. He's farrrrrr behind being the "next zberg". Jarnkrok was definitely hyped... perhaps over-hyped... If Holland cashed in on an over-hyped prospect on a hot streak, that's a good thing. We really won't know a thing about this trade until Jarnkrok hits NHL ice whenever they may be. Very real possibility that it may never happen. Look at Erat for Forsberg. HIGHLY touted Forsberg has done NOTHING in the NHL thus far. And Jarnkrok has many more flaws than him at the moment.

I agree it would have been ideal to get a younger center, but based on who was and wasn't moved, that wasn't an option. Detroit was in the thick of the Kesler trade talk up until the Canucks pulled out. At that point the next best option became Legwand. He doesn't solve our problems five years from now, but he is the best option for success today. Holland had a choice to sacrifice a player who may (or may not) be a solid player years from now for a solution to our current injury problems and went for it. There's still several years to figure out who will replace our centers when they retire.

I just fear the day when 5 years from now comes around and Holland has conveniently retired and our new GM is in the exact situation the Leafs are in now with no top 6 C prospect and just standing around with our hands in our pockets waiting for something to happen. Our young wingers and dmen will keep us afloat to the point where we never see a top 5 pick and we won't get that slam dunk C prospect and so begins the era of the Wings with no top 6 C depth (which has always been a strength).

This season was a waste when we played with ToToo, Samuelsson, Bertuzi and Cleary prior to the season start and didn't address defense. . Holland has been incapable of making trades

or acquiring talent unless the talent was Michigan bred and wanting to play for the winged wheel. The team has been in decline the last few years with no rudder or vision for the long term.

I have no issue with weeding out some of the young talent we don't want or won't need in trade for solid proven players...Ryan, Vanek etc....but this move was desperation and is more of the same.

Holland lost me last year and I stopped watching once the debacle of the opening roster was produced. Sorry Kenny I still hate you as a GM.

I just fear the day when 5 years from now comes around and Holland has conveniently retired and our new GM is in the exact situation the Leafs are in now with no top 6 C prospect and just standing around with our hands in our pockets waiting for something to happen. Our young wingers and dmen will keep us afloat to the point where we never see a top 5 pick and we won't get that slam dunk C prospect and so begins the era of the Wings with no top 6 C depth (which has always been a strength).

I don't think that will be the case, since the scouting department has been pretty consistent.

I was a Jarnkrok fan too. But, given the situation the Wings are in, it was a good trade. Legwand is a proven solid top six forward for at least five more years. I assume he will resign in Detroit for a reasonable price. Calle may not ever be a top six NHLer or even play in NA. The Wings are loaded with young forwards. Kenny knows all of this and how to do his job WAY MORE than any of us do. Relax people...or go away.

Like he knew how to handle Tatar in the AHL or Nyquist right ? Without injuries none of them would have been on the roster. Let's see in the offseason what Nyquist does if he bolts to Sweden the trade looks a bit better if not highway almost insane robbery. While we are at it I'm sure Jagr, Brodeur are free agents at the end of the year so maybe we can sign them and put out the oldest team in the league 38+ here we come woohoo

Accept other opinions...or go away.

If there isn't an acception of retooling/rebuilding soon we are going to end up like the Flames, having to trade way over the hill players for peanuts.

Edited by frankgrimes

This season was a waste when we played with ToToo, Samuelsson, Bertuzi and Cleary prior to the season start and didn't address defense. . Holland has been incapable of making trades

or acquiring talent unless the talent was Michigan bred and wanting to play for the winged wheel. The team has been in decline the last few years with no rudder or vision for the long term.

I have no issue with weeding out some of the young talent we don't want or won't need in trade for solid proven players...Ryan, Vanek etc....but this move was desperation and is more of the same.

Holland lost me last year.

Up until half of your last sentence I couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think that will be the case, since the scouting department has been pretty consistent.

Well if that was the case they should have hung onto Jarnkrok. We have nothing else. He could have dealt from strength like our D prospects that we have like almost too many of to have in GR.

Up until half of your last sentence I couldn't have said it better myself.

Well if that was the case they should have hung onto Jarnkrok. We have nothing else. He could have dealt from strength like our D prospects that we have like almost too many of to have in GR.

No, I agree the trade makes little sense, I'm just saying I wouldn't worry what happens five years from now, I think we'll be fine.

No, I agree the trade makes little sense, I'm just saying I wouldn't worry what happens five years from now, I think we'll be fine.

I used to think Holland planned like 10 years in the future but today proved that isn't really the case. I - just like you - just want to see the team hoist cups for many years to come. Lets hope you are right on this one!