• Please log in to reply
1226 replies to this topic

#401 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Considering how often prospects don't pan out, I'm not too upset with expending them for proven resources. 

#402 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 359 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

We don't know what any of the GM conversations were like. The other GMs could have declined any reasonable offers then everyone would be upset we didn't make a trade. Holland can't win.

#403 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

There's time to get more center prospects. There isn't time to find a patch for the Wings. This trade makes sense from almost all risk management perspectives.

This trade makes no sense:

The Wings offense is sub-par, even with the addition of Legwand, it's not going to be any better than it was in January. This team's defense still has KMFQ in the top 4, and Howard still hasn't quite figured himself out. So, instead of trading for a D-man that isn't a rental, Holland trades for a rental center. In the purely short term the moves probably would pan out to be pretty equal, in the long term its terrible. They give up one of their top center prospects for an aging rental center that because 3-4th center on the depth chart if the team gets healthy, and still haven't addressed their defensive woes.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#404 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Lot's of talk about Jarnkrock but some seem to have forgotten that if Detroit makes the playoffs Nashville also gets a 2nd. That 2nd along with other pieces could have fetched something better. I would have preffered Holland packaged a 2nd and 1st for a big player.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#405 brooklynsour

brooklynsour

Fedorov

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

There's time to get more center prospects. There isn't time to find a patch for the Wings. This trade makes sense from almost all risk management perspectives.

The Wings offense is sub-par, even with the addition of Legwand, it's not going to be any better than it was in January. This team's defense still has KMFQ in the top 4, and Howard still hasn't quite figured himself out. So, instead of trading for a D-man that isn't a rental, Holland trades for a rental center. In the purely short term the moves probably would pan out to be pretty equal, in the long term its terrible. They give up one of their top center prospects for an aging rental center that because 3-4th center on the depth chart if the team gets healthy, and still haven't addressed their defensive woes.

They short sighted only looking at finishing this season.....
How do you know if any names went around.

Edited by brooklynsour, 05 March 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#406 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

Considering how often prospects don't pan out, I'm not too upset with expending them for proven resources.

With that logic we should of sent anthony mantha for meszaros

#407 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

If Legwand signs here, it was a great deal for the Wings.  If he doesn't, it was a waste, Thats the stance I am making.

Then the conditional pick should have been if he signs, not if the Wings make the playoffs.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#408 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

Lot's of talk about Jarnkrock but some seem to have forgotten that if Detroit makes the playoffs Nashville also gets a 2nd. That 2nd along with other pieces could have fetched something better. I would have preffered Holland packaged a 2nd and 1st for a big player.

Ya don't remind me ... Almost tempted to miss the playoffs now so we can keep our 2nd and draft In the top 10 to draft a center cause of Hollands stupidity

#409 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

I wouldn't waste a 4th round pick on either of those guys.
Vanek is a rental, and have you seen Collberg?  The guy is like Mantha.  A 2nd round pick and he has a great upside.  I think Montreal overpaid.

http://www.elitepros...hp?player=16836

Dig into these trades a bit before you start saying that these are just scrub players. 

Thanks for giving me more fuel btw...take Collberg and compare him to Jarnkrok in the SEL at the same age. It makes our trade even worse.

Edited by achildr1, 05 March 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#410 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

As someone who has followed both Collberg and Järnkrok in the SHL as it's now called I can comfortably say that Järnkrok was a much better player in that league.

Järnkrok has a SHL championship as well.

Edited by Ekmanc, 05 March 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#411 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

We don't know what any of the GM conversations were like. The other GMs could have declined any reasonable offers then everyone would be upset we didn't make a trade. Holland can't win.

This kind of baseless speculation doesn't help anything. I mean I have a very hard time believing there is a huge conspiracy against Holland that other teams won't deal with him. 

The more realistic possibilities are that A) Holland low balls the other GMs and they won't pull the trigger, or B) That Holland when faced with a fair deal is unwilling to pull the trigger.

Given the news about Datsyuk this deal stinks of a desperation move on Holland's part. It completely contradicts his stated strategy of not dealing youth  they are high on or high draft picks and especially not for rentals, but trying to deal roster players and depth prospects in what he called a 'hockey trade;.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#412 brooklynsour

brooklynsour

Fedorov

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Ya don't remind me ... Almost tempted to miss the playoffs now so we can keep our 2nd and draft In the top 10 to draft a center cause of Hollands stupidity

EXACTLY this is dumb!!! The chances of us winning with Pavel knee iffy and Z coming back from back surgery (IF WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS) were alrdy slim.... Now we trade away 2 of our future players for a UFA who has only hit 60 points once and 50 points once is blasphemous

#413 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

The "hockey-trades" on defense were just not there.  Let's not pretend that there were any made today that we missed out on.

Andersson, Sheahan, Glendening, Emmerton as our Centermen for the next three weeks made trading for a Center a high priority if making the playoffs for the Detroit Red Wings is a desired result for Holland.  It obviously is.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#414 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

You have to hedge your bets. What's more likely, Legwand helps fill a void and improve the team, or Andersson becomes a serviceable 1C and Jarnkrok is a superstar? 

EDIT

Instead of superstar let's say better than Legwand.

Edited by Dave, 05 March 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#415 kiwi wingnut

kiwi wingnut

Draftee

• 12 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

I reckon this trade deserves a little respect. If it isn't made our centres for the next few weeks are Anderson, Sheahan, Glendenning, and Emmerton! That's a lets give up the season and tank it line up. Call me crazy but I'm glad to support an organization that doesn't just quit. None of us know what other teams were in on Legwand, if Jarnkrok was what was the Preds required to make it happen, so be it. He's a solid producer, and while we need D long term I'm happy we've got some help to get us to the dance. Bring back the big guns then, and we're a good looking team!

#416 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

As someone who has followed both Collberg and Järnkrok in the SHL as it's now called I can comfortably say that Järnkrok was a much better player in that league.

Järnkrok has a SHL championship as well.

Thanks...exactly my point.

#417 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

This is why holland should just sit on his hands on deadline day. I think Jarnkrok + 1st could have gotten Edler and actually solved a problem for once. 

Also Holland said he wouldn't make a move for a rental - well that meant jack squat.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#418 brooklynsour

brooklynsour

Fedorov

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

This is why holland should just sit on his hands on deadline day. I think Jarnkrok + 1st could have gotten Edler and actually solved a problem for once. 
Also Holland said he wouldn't make a move for a rental - well that meant jack squat.

Or another dman just cuz certain players didn't get moved doesn't mean they werent up for trade....

#419 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

Actual trades made today say pretty much otherwise.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#420 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

You have to hedge your bets. What's more likely, Legwand helps fill a void and improve the team, or Andersson becomes a serviceable 1C and Jarnkrok is a superstar? 

EDIT

Instead of superstar let's say better than Legwand.

Hedge what bets? Even with Legwand they aren't a contender, they still are a bubble team that will have to claw into the playoffs and then will have to play Boston or Pittsburgh with their depleted forwards and ramshackle defense. So instead of having a really good first round pick, they play 4-6 more hockey games than they would have otherwise and draft lower. 

Im Wasser verbrannt