• Please log in to reply
1226 replies to this topic

#441 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

I don't know if the Preds wanted Andersson, but I would have traded him instead of Jarnkrock.

Usual spins from Ken's writers.You don't need to be a scout to realize Jarnkrok's better

#442 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 257 posts

I can tell you based upon what we saw today that Detroit got hosed. I can tell you based upon Holland's own statements and the information available that the deals that were offered for players like Yandle and Jbo (among others) were in the same ballpark as what other teams were asked or actually paid. So I have to believe that Holland is the issue, not the 29 other GMs.

If it was that easy, I can't believe it didn't happen.

It's easy to sit here looking at a roster and making up trades that "could've" gotten it done.

#443 brooklynsour

brooklynsour

Fedorov

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

We gave up 2 players one with potential and a pick for someone who A might not even resign(hopefully not) B old C doesn't provide enough scoring to justify the trade

Eaves is a freebee. Anyone could have had him off wavers for nothin'. He does play. Don't act like he's a great value lost. He had no value to anybody, because no one took him for free (Even though I like him a lot as a player and thought he should have been kept over Miller) It's a move that gets him playing in the NHL again

Harosho, on no way everyone on this thread bitchin that we sent eaves away... Sending a young promising prospect and a 2nd conditional PLUS a roster player for someone who will be a 3rd or 4th liner if he resigns, I pray we don't resign him, him and Weiss contracts will easily out this team in a hole.....

#444 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,225 posts

Horrendous. Kenny has outdone the Kyle Quincey debacle somehow. I said it in numerous threads leading up to the deadline, but for once kicking tires and standing pat would have been prudent. Realistically, the Red Wings were at best going to sneak into the playoffs once Z was declared out for the regular season. Then you throw in Pav being gone now, Weiss having a setback and Helm injured again. You just don't overcome those losses and even if you do, is this group a real contender anyways? 

Nothing against Legwand, but what happened to no rentals? If Holland was looking for 'hockey deals' and willing to overpay with prospects and picks, then he should have actually acquired an impact player like Kesler or Ehrhoff. Legwand is an upgrade over Andersson logging first line minutes, but what's the goal here? Either embrace trying to improve fully or stick with what you have and play the season out. 

I just don't understand what Holland's intended direction is for the organization since Nick retired. The Red Wings are stuck in transitional years. Being mediocre is the worst spot to be, especially when it appears your philosophy is to rely more on drafting well. 

Panic move and went against everything Holland preached leading up to the deadline. He has been absolutely atrocious since Nick left with personnel decisions. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#445 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

Now that I've gotten all the frustration out of my system, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's game and seeing the Captain again.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#446 CrimsonFlame

CrimsonFlame

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

Usual spins from Ken's writers.You don't need to be a scout to realize Jarnkrok's better

If it's obvious that Jamkrok is better, then why hasn't he been up here instead of Anderson? 

#447 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

Immediate, gutcheck reaction to including Järnkrok in this trade: "oh noezzz! he was our #1 ranked prospect last year! Someone called him the next Zetterberg! WE GAVE UP ZETTERBERG FOR LEGWAND!"

Now, take a deep breath and look at the trade from a 1000 ft view.

Eaves is an obvious throwaway.  I wish him well.  The draft pick stings a bit, especially since it seems like we've been really starting to hit on our early round picks lately.

As for Järnkrok, let's state what he does well first.  He's clearly a talented player whom many peg to make it in the NHL.  He's struggled in his first season in North America, but he's been playing really well the past few weeks.  He's an above average skater and good passer.  He's responsible defensively.  He's got upside, obviously.  By all accounts, he's a hard worker who wants to keep getting better.

With that said, the Next Zetterberg hype is clearly overblown.  Calle has 99 shots in 57 games - an indication of an extremely tentative shooter.  Detroit has enough of those already.  I've watched a few Griffins games and I've listened to more in-tuned Griffins fans talk about him, and he's clearly not been showing any signs of one who can take things into his own hands and try to score a goal when the time comes - the exact opposite of Zetterberg, who loves to shoot.  Could this skill develop within him eventually?  Sure.  But that's wishful thinking, and I'm sure if Holland, Blashill and co. saw that potential in him, they wouldn't have traded him for a guy who may not be on our roster next season. 

He's listed at around 5'10 185, and while that's not unlike the specs of Zeta and Dats, he's still got a ways to go, strength-wise.  A guy with okay speed and a slender frame needs to develop some seriously unique skills to stick in the NHL (think Hudler, who showed he had NHL goal-scoring prowess).  Going by the tape, those skills simply are not there or still a ways from being there.  And if you're not showing those skills in your age-22 season, you're starting to value hope way more than reality at this stage in a prospects career. 

Overall, the guy is clearly a talent.  He's not unlike Filppula or Weiss in the sense that he projects as a 2nd-line guy with good passing skills and responsible defense.  He's also not unlike them in the sense that he can't score worth a lick.  We've had enough guys in this mold come through the Wings system, and the results have always been good - just never great.  Things are changing for the Wings, though, with guys like Mantha and Jurco violently assaulting the twine as they've progressed.  Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Pulkkinen was valued more than Calle by the organization due to his shooting skills.

Bottom line:  It is what it is.  The Red Wings are in an extremely desperate situation at center, and getting Legwand helps tremendously to ease some of those concerns.  If you think Järnkrok is the real deal, yeah, this trade kind of sucks.  However, I think you may be slightly reaching on what the hype is all about with him.  He's going to be a good pro, but I don't think he'll be making us regret moving David Legwand for him. 

That's enough from me.  Sorry for rambling.

Dont be sorry...was a good post.

The biggest thing to me is that you dont trade a player who projects, by most all indications, to be better than the player your getting within a very short time frame (ie 2-3 years). Thats why the Erat trade was so bad...if its not a clear upgrade in attempt to win big in a short window, its better to be patient with the prospect. Especially this guy...he has all the right tools...high hockey sense, compared to Zetterberg because of his compete level.

#448 brooklynsour

brooklynsour

Fedorov

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

If it's obvious that Jamkrok is better, then why hasn't he been up here instead of Anderson? 

Because the wing way to keep prospects in minors for a few years before bringing them up....

#449 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Legwand

"He currently holds virtually every franchise record for the Predators, including most games played, goals, assists, and points."

Sounds a lot like that one Weiss guy

#450 brooklynsour

brooklynsour

Fedorov

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Legwand
"He currently holds virtually every franchise record for the Predators, including most games played, goals, assists, and points."

That's wtf I'm saying..... He'll be another wash up sorry to say like cleary Bert and Weiss. All those guys best years are in the past and with the injuries in recent years they only seem to be declining and j see legwand following that same path

Edited by brooklynsour, 05 March 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#451 Franzine

Franzine

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

The Red Wings got the better end of this trade.

#452 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Uh, because he spent his whole career on a much larger ice surface in another country and needed more than 30 games to acclimate himself. And Andersson is significantly older (prospect wise).

#453 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Well... I don't like the price that Holland paid (including Jarnkrok) for a rental....perhaps he's out of practice on wheeling and dealing... But it's an acceptable trade.

B-

#454 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,738 posts

Legwand

Except healthier

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#455 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,599 posts

I wonder what number he'll wear.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#456 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

Isn't Andersson out of waiver options?

#457 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Let's have a look at the positives of this trade though:

1. Legwand has 40 points in 60 games under Barry Trotz's Nashville system

2. Legwand waived his NTC to come here, has a place here, so chances are he re-signs here (hopefully for a good cap hit)

3. Our centre depth is ridiculous, and will be for at least another 4-5 years (D,Z, Legwand, Weiss, Helm, Sheahan, Andy, Glendening) which made Jarnkrok expendable (Babcock would have none of that attitude)

4. Legwand has managed to stay relatively healthy most of his career, whereas our other centres are made of glass right now

5. He's got great speed and is a decent 2 way centre (you can't play in Nashville if you're not a 2 way player)

All in all, Legwand makes our team look much, much better. He gives us a chance at the playoffs, especially since Datsyuk is now out for three weeks and Helm is out. Andersson as our 1C for one game is one game too many. On another note, I absolutely love Sheahan and his line. Their shifts are easily our most exciting shifts each game.

Our center depth is decent now, but in 4 -5 years?

Dats might be done, Zetterberg is going to be decidedly on the back-end of his career, as is Legwand.

Andersson is...passable I guess, Glendening is not a real hockey player. Helm can't seem to put more than 5 games together, and Weiss, almost a season into his DRW career, hasn't shown is anything at all.

It's like a lot of names, but really not a great group, IMO.

what

#458 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Järnkrok isn't better, these are two players with completely different skillsets. 

Andersson right now is good enough on his strong suits to play in the NHL and Järnkrok isn't good enough on his.

Järnkrok definitely has a lot more talent though and he could if everything pans out become a much better player but he has a long way to go first.

#459 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

@mabusincarnate to give up what we did for a mediocre player past his prime, he'll be another cleary Bert Weiss.... I don't need any factual stats I seen him play he's nothing special and certainly not someone who will 'help carry' this team with our real stars injured....

Lol because factual stats dont determine how a good a player is ehh?

The Wings are a better team right now than they were at 8am this morning. Dont forget the Wings had Joakin Andersson as there #1 center last night. They needed a center. Sure Jarnkrok was a good prospect but he was doing nothing to help the wings right now. Legwand on the other hand has 40 pts on a bad Nashville team that really doesnt give him much support. He is not the scrub your trying to make him out to be. He will help Detroit. Plus he also brings in something the Wings desperately need.....someone whos healthy. 

Eaves - No real value. He couldnt crack the lineup even with all the injuries. More than likely the Preds had to take him in the deal more than they sought him out.

Jarnkrok - Sure hes a good prospect but hes not the best prospect in the org. If the rumors of him bolting are true then his value is nothing to the Wings. The Wings will never say its true as they could be sanctioned by the league for not negotiating in good faith so we might never know. Nashville also can offer him a roster spot which is something the Wings couldn't for a couple more years. Holland knows a heck of a lot more of the situation than we do. Look how long it took Tatar and Nyquist to be getting minutes in Detroit and they were better prospects at the point of NHL entry than Jarnkrok is. He was atleast 2 years away from meaningful minutes and I dont think he accepts that.

Pick - A 4/3 conditional would have been better but this isnt to big of a loss. 2nd rounders are traded all the time and whoever is drafted wouldnt have influenced the Wings for atleast 5 years.

Legwand - Aging but still putting up solid numbers for a real bad team. Plays both ends. Sure he could be a rental but thats a rental at a position the Wings NEED someone at right now. 

Simply put people here are putting Jarnkrok higher on pedestal than he really was and denouncing Legwand more than they should. To put it plainly one is a proven NHL player and the other was a unproven prospect who might have put the Wings in an NHL me or Im bolting situation. Easy call for a GM. 

Judging by how the game day threads go most fans still want the Wings to be winning right now. If Holland had done nothing or gave up on the season there would be bigger riots here. Hopefully all those raging saying they are done with the Wings hold true to there words. It will be a lot more peaceful here.

#460 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

This trade is gonna haunt me for a very long time

I can see it now .... Hanging out with friends at a summer BBQ .... Handed a beer .... Take a chug ... Remember janrkrok is no longer a redwings..... F*ckkkkkkkkkk! Whips beer lmao

Seriously though this trade is gonna hurt for a while ... Total stupidity on Hollands part .... To bad he didn't trade himself for Jim nill