• Please log in to reply
1226 replies to this topic

#721 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

I'm sure he would have said "yeah we knew about that, hahaha suck it Nashville" if he had known about it...

Several people have reported that they have heard about Jarnkrok wanting to go back to sweden rather than play another year in the AHL. I'm sure Holland & Co. knew about that.

Nope. The gms were the only ones in the dark about it, didn't you hear? Holland wouldn't trade him away if there was no threat of him leaving.

#722 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

https://twitter.com/...332158477520896

https://twitter.com/...332324018311168

Panic move.

Hang the blessed DJ.

Obviously I don't think there's a whole lot of substance to the Jankrok to Sweden move.

But if there was even an inkling, there's no way Martin would confirm that.

In fact, I bet there'll be an inquiry if he does leave for Sweden next season.

what

#723 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:47 PM

That's the difference, Tatar 4 seasons in the ahl, iron hook, less then a season.

Yes and Tatar was fed up and was almost gone or dealt .... Let's not kid ourselves if they really believed he was this good they wouldn't of waited this long , this organization is obsessed with the veterans

All these injuries this season were a blessing in disguise .... It's to bad it's what needed to happen

2-0 habs .... I don't know how they keep doing it man .... Keeps getting worse for the wings

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 05 March 2014 - 10:48 PM.

#724 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

Yes and Tatar was fed up and was almost gone or dealt .... Let's not kid ourselves if they really believed he was this good they wouldn't of waited this long , this organization is obsessed with the veterans

All these injuries this season were a blessing in disguise .... It's to bad it's what needed to happen

2-0 habs .... I don't know how they keep doing it man .... Keeps getting worse for the wings

No they insist on having a culture in place where you put in your time like others have before you and you earn your spot.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#725 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

He  was 44 games away from playing his 1,000 as a nashville predator,Most of y'all aren't happy about this trade,but think about the preds fans feel,This guy was our very first draft in 1998,played 15 seasons for us and not once could we give him the gift that every hockey player dreams about:Winning a Stanley Cup

Interesting take.  If he's going to be a more talented Dallas Drake, I'm in.

what

#726 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

And another thing: What the eff is this "He was behind a lot of talent here" crap? He's a first-year Griffin, and a first-year NA pro. Since when do we hold that against a kid and tell him, "Well, you're not where the guys who are currently on our team are at, so I don't see this working out in the long run"? By the time he'd be making his fashionably late debut with the Wings (a la Tatar, Nyquist), Z and D would probably be just about done.

Holland hates kids, loves 35-year-olds.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#727 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

Holland could play 2B for the Tigers hit 80 HR's and get 195 RBi's, Throw 73 Td's for Lions, Average a triple double per game for the Pistons, and GM the most successful franchise in hockey the last 20+ years and some of you would still hold something against him.  We need warm bodies down the middle....we have none..he got one..over paid? maybe but it had to be done.  This team won't settle for missing the playoffs..this isn't Vancouver.  This place is amazing...if he doesn't panic he's an idiot, if he does he's an idiot.  Who was the last prospect he traded away at the deadline that everyone got pissed about? Oh yea it was Matthias, the guy is a 10 goal scorer who just got traded again. I think our scouting, coaches and rest of staff wouldn't have traded Jarnkrok if they knew he was a can't miss blue chipper. Legwand waived his no trade clause to play here in a season where we might actually miss the playoffs which seems like a pretty fair sign that he wants to be in Detroit possibly for longer than 20 games.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#728 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:59 PM

Holland could play 2B for the Tigers hit 80 HR's and get 195 RBi's, Throw 73 Td's for Lions, Average a triple double per game for the Pistons, and GM the most successful franchise in hockey the last 20+ years and some of you would still hold something against him.  We need warm bodies down the middle....we have none..he got one..over paid? maybe but it had to be done.  This team won't settle for missing the playoffs..this isn't Vancouver.  This place is amazing...if he doesn't panic he's an idiot, if he does he's an idiot.  Who was the last prospect he traded away at the deadline that everyone got pissed about? Oh yea it was Matthias, the guy is a 10 goal scorer who just got traded again. I think our scouting, coaches and rest of staff wouldn't have traded Jarnkrok if they knew he was a can't miss blue chipper. Legwand waived his no trade clause to play here in a season where we might actually miss the playoffs which seems like a pretty fair sign that he wants to be in Detroit possibly for longer than 20 games.

Could of signed him in the off season then ... Again I got nothing against david legwand I wanted him here before we got him ... Just don't like giving up jarnkrok .... Time will tell what happens

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 05 March 2014 - 11:00 PM.

#729 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

And another thing: What the eff is this "He was behind a lot of talent here" crap? He's a first-year Griffin, and a first-year NA pro. Since when do we hold that against a kid and tell him, "Well, you're not where the guys who are currently on our team are at, so I don't see this working out in the long run"? By the time he'd be making his fashionably late debut with the Wings (a la Tatar, Nyquist), Z and D would probably be just about done.

Holland hates kids, loves 35-year-olds.

So he finally sends Sammy down, pines Cleary and pretty much pines Bert for the last 20 games and you still think that the kids arent getting a chance...who else would you like him to sit that's over 30? Z? he's hurt  Datsyuk? he's hurt too  Kronwall? doubt it  Franzen? not right now  ...oh you want him to keep Jarnkrok and have Andersson and Glendening centering the first 2 lines because we think that some kid who has played half a season in North America is a can't miss according to the LGW scouting staff? You have to give something to get something, we were desperate..we have too many injuries...I said it before, it's not in the culture of this franchise to mail it in and miss the playoffs.

Could of signed him in the off season then ... Again I got nothing against david legwand I wanted him here before we got him ... Just don't like giving up jarnkrok .... Time will tell what happens

We don't need him the off season, we need him now WE HAVE NO CENTERS, they are hurt ( 3 weeks shut down ), hurt ( maybe for the season ) and well......hurt ( concussion like symptoms) Desperate times call for desperate measures..would you have prefered they sent Gus or Tatar, Picks, and prospects to Vancouver for Kesler?

Edited by puckbags, 05 March 2014 - 11:05 PM.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#730 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:06 PM

If you look at other deals made today it was huge overpayment. If you consider his RECENT track record he has messed up majorly in the last 5 years. He hasn't been very successful in FA pickups aside from the ones that fell in his lap. Thank GOD we have talented scouts and good coaching of the kids in GR or we would be absolutely screwed by what Holland has done and left undone recently. If he wants to win the cup he should have addressed our D rather than adding another redundant C. If Helm is out a week and Weiss is back soon then this was a huge overreaction on his part. For a guy who claims to focus on the future this seemed like a knee jerk reaction to potentially missing the playoffs. The goal should be a cup - and if that means sacrificing the season and not causing a logjam at C for the future and trading away a top prospect then that should have been what he decided to do.

Holland wants us to love him the way he loves his old veteran players and acquisitions - keep them (him) around for what they (he) have done in the past rather than what they (he) can do now. Holland has lost his touch much like his recent acquisitions and has put a sour taste in many peoples' mouths. Many players now look at what is happening in Detroit and decide its not as attractive as it once was when it was loaded coming out of the pre-cap era. Other GM's find a way to put a fresh spin on things and breathe new life into their teams - Holland seems to want to mummify this team and preserve it for ages. These are all reasons why fans are reacting so harshly.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#731 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

Personally the only way of this making sense is Jarnkrok being dead set on going home if not highway robbery by Poile. The predators are coming along nicely Forsberg, Jarnkrok another great pick this year the west shouldn't underestimate this team. As for Holland, thanks for everything you've been one of the best in the past but please give the reigns someone else. I hope come off season we send a boat load of money to the captain and let him reebuild this team. Without Nyquist, Tatar, Dekeyser this team would have been boring to watch and is filled with stopgaps and we all know baring all the injuries neither Nyquist nor Tatar would have been up Tatar would have left and joined an SEL or KHL team...

I am asking this again because I just don't see a point in making the playoffs

if the chances are so heavily against you, what's the point of making the stupid playoffs screw the "streak" I'm interested in building for the future.

Yeah let's sell our only potential future top 6 center so Pittsburgh and Boston are getting a chance to sweep us and destroy us ... good plan Holland nah superb plan .. That's exactly why I would have been fine with standing pat if you trade Jarnkrok plus the return better be something like Ehrhoff you know a big f****** need. Already nervous about the draft I can see it now Nyquist, Mantha and a first for Jagr.

Edited by frankgrimes, 05 March 2014 - 11:33 PM.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#732 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

No they insist on having a culture in place where you put in your time like others have before you and you earn your spot.

I agree that a player should put in his time and earn a spot, but I'm sure Nyquist would say that he spent too much time in the minors. As would Helm who kept getting called up for the playoffs but get sent down during regular season. I hate the whole over-ripe philosophy, when a player is ready he should get the chance.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#733 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:14 PM

I agree that a player should put in his time and earn a spot, but I'm sure Nyquist would say that he spent too much time in the minors. As would Helm who kept getting called up for the playoffs but get sent down during regular season. I hate the whole over-ripe philosophy, when a player is ready he should get the chance.

To add fuel to the fire - how does a guy like Weiss get a 5 year contract coming off an injury and never playing a game in a system like Detroit's and a kid like Jarnkrok can't get a chance in the lineup once? 

#734 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

To add fuel to the fire - how does a guy like Weiss get a 5 year contract coming off an injury and never playing a game in a system like Detroit's and a kid like Jarnkrok can't get a chance in the lineup once? 

The previous 10 year NHL career may have had something to do with it.

#735 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,055 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:21 PM

I'm pissed about losing Jarnkrok, but I've had some time to cool down and think it through some more. The Wings absolutely need a center now that Datsyuk is going to miss three weeks, Zetterberg already shut down for the season, and Helm and Weiss now questionable going forward. Legwand was the best fit for our team that was moved, and Holland did what was necessary to land him. We can all speculate whether it was possible to acquire Legwand for less, but we ultimately will never know for sure. Maybe another team had a solid offer already on the table, or maybe Polie was playing hardball. Who knows. If Eaves, a 2nd/3rd, and Jarnkrok was a take-it-or-leave-it for Legwand, I think I would have pulled the trigger too, simply to give the Wings a fighting chance to make the playoffs.
As for Jarnkrok vs Legwand, we are losing a lot of potential, certainly. But we are getting a top 6 center man (who will be second only to Zetterberg for team scoring) with a proven record of being reliable both defensively and offensively. He's also able to help the team now (as opposed to three years from now), which is important. Jarnkrok, like all prospects, isn't a sure thing. There is no guarantee he even makes it to the NHL (especially with all the speculation that he returns to Sweden), and if he does make the NHL, there's no guarantee that he will be a top six centerman of Legwand's calibre.
It probably doesn't make it any easier for most of you to swallow, so instead I can just post what our lines could look like should we make the playoffs:
Zetterberg Datsyuk Franzen
Alfredson Legwand Nyqvist
Tatar Sheahan Jurco
Abdelkader Helm/Weiss Bertuzzi/Miller
Or any combination thereof.

Any way you want to write it up, that's an upset team.

#736 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:23 PM

The previous 10 year NHL career may have had something to do with it.

Coming off an injury - nobody knew what would happen. Some players are never the same. We are also dealing with 25 million versus measly pennies for a kid. I think Jarnkrok easily would have bested Weiss' stats this year with his ice time. 

#737 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

I actually I don't have a problem with Weiss, the Wings needed a 2nd line center and they went and got one who turned out to be a dud so far; which barring hind site no one could have predicted.

My issue would be how many talented players did Holland pass up on in the last 5-7 years? A lot of them were better then Weiss and yet he decided to give Sammy 3 mil a year and sign Weiss to 5 years.

When was the last time we were genuinely surprised and excited by a Holland move? The only two have been Alfie last year and Hossa in 09 otherwise most of his moves have been predictable, even today's Legwand move wasn't a surprise.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#738 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

I'm pissed about losing Jarnkrok, but I've had some time to cool down and think it through some more. The Wings absolutely need a center now that Datsyuk is going to miss three weeks, Zetterberg already shut down for the season, and Helm and Weiss now questionable going forward. Legwand was the best fit for our team that was moved, and Holland did what was necessary to land him. We can all speculate whether it was possible to acquire Legwand for less, but we ultimately will never know for sure. Maybe another team had a solid offer already on the table, or maybe Polie was playing hardball. Who knows. If Eaves, a 2nd/3rd, and Jarnkrok was a take-it-or-leave-it for Legwand, I think I would have pulled the trigger too, simply to give the Wings a fighting chance to make the playoffs.
As for Jarnkrok vs Legwand, we are losing a lot of potential, certainly. But we are getting a top 6 center man (who will be second only to Zetterberg for team scoring) with a proven record of being reliable both defensively and offensively. He's also able to help the team now (as opposed to three years from now), which is important. Jarnkrok, like all prospects, isn't a sure thing. There is no guarantee he even makes it to the NHL (especially with all the speculation that he returns to Sweden), and if he does make the NHL, there's no guarantee that he will be a top six centerman of Legwand's calibre.
It probably doesn't make it any easier for most of you to swallow, so instead I can just post what our lines could look like should we make the playoffs:
Zetterberg Datsyuk Franzen
Alfredson Legwand Nyqvist
Tatar Sheahan Jurco
Abdelkader Helm/Weiss Bertuzzi/Miller
Or any combination thereof.

Any way you want to write it up, that's an upset team.

The problem is the window for success. Weiss, Datsyuk, Z, Legwand will all be gone within years of each other likely. We traded away our next up and coming C to replace them. The task is now to find those replacements or we are screwed. If Legwand was 27 and filled out our age gaps I would have been much happier about the acquisition even if it cost more (which it would have).

#739 TripleS

TripleS

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

Unless J-rok becomes a 1st line scorer in the NHL, I think I'm ok with this trade now.

I don't know if it's just me but I really want our playoff streak to survive so Legwand helps our team right now and maybe for 2-3 years (hopefully at like 2.5mil, even if maybe its unrealistic). We can pay him from the No Cleary/Bert/Sammy fund.

Pulkkinen sounds like he can be legit just from his shot alone. “He can create something out of nothing,” said Griffins head coach Jeff Blashill. “He can score goals from everywhere on the ice because he has an extremely dynamic shot — both his slap shot and his wrist shot. When goals are at such a premium in hockey, he’s one of those few guys who only needs one chance to score. His shot is that good.” http://www.redwingsc...ity-in-a-hurry/ ... We have enough play makers on our team as Babcock is always begging people to shoot.

With prospects Pulkkinen, Mantha, Athanasiou.. and rookies Sheahan, Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist, Andy .... Kind of makes J-rok worth the risk to keep that streak I want alive. Athanasiou is a player on fire in the OHL from that aritcle he's had "...another hat trick on March 1. He’s had three other hat tricks since mid-December, with two four-goal games and a five-goal outburst."

Legwand will be a huge boost for these next three weeks cause we play a lot of games with few days between.

IF fully healthy and IF we make the playoffs

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Alfredsson
Nyquist-Helm-Franzen
3a. Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco  3b. Legwand-Weiss/Andy-Abby

Cleary, Bert, Miller, Andy, Glen

Lots of depth and having Legwand over Miller I think adds a lot more offensive threat, skill, and experience. He's even better on PK than Miller.

All if we are healthy but if we are not, he's even more important.

... Wicked ... a weird bounce just tied the Montreal Game

#740 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

see this is you talking as a preds fan.... Sure send him (s***) to Detroit his best days are behind him. Idgaf that he waived his ntc, he's trash and shoulda stayed where he belongs cuz 100% he don't belong in a wing jersey... f*** Holland really blessed your team, why do u make it seem like this trade was even 60-40 fair???

Dude... have some class