• Please log in to reply
1226 replies to this topic

#941 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:20 PM

We can go back and forth about Jarnkrok all we want, but the fact is no one knows how good or bad of a trade this was for at least another 3-4 years and we can actually see what Jarnkrok does at an NHL level. 

Smith was supposed to be a future top 2 defender for us. Cory Cross was drafted 1st round 1st overall. A lot of times guys just don't work out, sometimes they do. It's very difficult to debate about a player's unknown future when it is so far off and no one here is psychic. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#942 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

According to some people Poille looks as stupid as Garth Snow for letting go very good player Legwand for injury prone bottom liner Eaves,future bottom liner Jarnkrok and a pick :confused:

#943 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

According to some people Poille looks as stupid as Garth Snow for letting go very good player Legwand for injury prone bottom liner Eaves,future bottom liner Jarnkrok and a pick :confused:

Legwand didn't want to re-sign with them

#944 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

He really only let him go for 20 games though. 

To get a prospect, a decent bottom sixer and potentially a 2nd round pick for those 20 games seems pretty good to me.  Especially since I think Legwand had a NTC and could pick where he would go. 

#945 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

Legwand didn't want to re-sign with them

David legwand did not ask to be traded,he wanted to play in nashville,but the preds weren't gonna offer him a contract,so instead of letting him walking in the offseason,like suter did and got nothing for him,They decided to trade legwand,he had other offers from other teams,but detroit is where he wanted to go,so the preds found a way to get him to detroit

#946 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

David legwand did not ask to be traded,he wanted to play in nashville,but the preds weren't gonna offer him a contract,so instead of letting him walking in the offseason,like suter did and got nothing for him,They decided to trade legwand,he had other offers from other teams,but detroit is where he wanted to go,so the preds found a way to get him to detroit

That bodes well for his chances of re-signing with Detroit. 

#947 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

I believe you, but out of curiosity why weren't they offering Legwand a contract? 

He's 33 and still probably has a few good years in him, is a career Predator (wasn't he their first ever draft pick?)  and was their leading scorer at the time of the trade.  

Seems like the kind of player you'd want to offer at least a 2 or 3 year deal to. 

#948 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

I believe you, but out of curiosity why weren't they offering Legwand a contract? 

He's 33 and still probably has a few good years in him, is a career Predator (wasn't he their first ever draft pick?)  and was their leading scorer at the time of the trade.  

Seems like the kind of player you'd want to offer at least a 2 or 3 year deal to. 

They wanted to get younger and save some money.  Even if he took less money, they'd still have to pay him $4 mil or so.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#949 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

He really only let him go for 20 games though. 

To get a prospect, a decent bottom sixer and potentially a 2nd round pick for those 20 games seems pretty good to me.  Especially since I think Legwand had a NTC and could pick where he would go. 

I was sarcastic though.Good moves by Poille.Swapped Erat for Forsberg then Legwand for Jarnkrok ;)

#950 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

I was sarcastic though.Good moves by Poille.Swapped Erat for Forsberg then Legwand for Jarnkrok ;)

excuse me if i do not understand, but how were you being sarcastic, you either heard that people were saying that about Poile, or you made it up, and I have not heard anyone calling Poile dumb yet... not sure if you understand sarcasm or...

sar·casm   [sahr-kaz-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngm]  Show IPA
noun
harsh or bitter derision or irony.
a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

what you said was not sarcasm, rather just a weirdly made up non fact, a sarcastic way of saying it would have been, man I bet Nashville fans wish Poile had gotten them the deal Holland got us, or some other parting shot like that

EDIT: Grammar 

Edited by Euro_Twins, 08 March 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#951 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

On the difficulties of starting fresh with a new team for traded players [Backhand Shelf]

Makes you really appreciate what Legwand did last night. Guy's played his whole NHL career with one team, one coach, one system. He gets traded to a very different thing in the Red Wings and it takes him all of one game to figure s*** out and be a force.

Also. Been sniffing around the Preds community. Seems a number of fans feel Trotz doesn't understand how to utilize high-end, top-six forwards. Like Legwand. Maybe instead of a 2C good for 40+ points, he's actually a 1C good for 50+ points.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#952 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

On the difficulties of starting fresh with a new team for traded players [Backhand Shelf]

Makes you really appreciate what Legwand did last night. Guy's played his whole NHL career with one team, one coach, one system. He gets traded to a very different thing in the Red Wings and it takes him all of one game to figure s*** out and be a force.

Also. Been sniffing around the Preds community. Seems a number of fans feel Trotz doesn't understand how to utilize high-end, top-six forwards. Like Legwand. Maybe instead of a 2C good for 40+ points, he's actually a 1C good for 50+ points.

He's currently on pace for 54 I believe

#953 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

He's currently on pace for 54 I believe

And people say he's a 3rd liner at best? I'd say fourth line...

#954 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

excuse me if i do not understand, but how were you being sarcastic, you either heard that people were saying that about Poile, or you made it up, and I have not heard anyone calling Poile dumb yet... not sure if you understand sarcasm or...

sar·casm   [sahr-kaz-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngm]  Show IPA
noun
harsh or bitter derision or irony.
a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark: a review full of sarcasms.

what you said was not sarcasm, rather just a weirdly made up non fact, a sarcastic way of saying it would have been, man I bet Nashville fans wish Poile had gotten them the deal Holland got us, or some other parting shot like that

EDIT: Grammar 

So basically,you have problem with one of my (non)sarcastic post,but you don't mind listening,hearing,reading one spin after another first from Ken and then from some ppl here how our top,Hank like prospect,turned into expendable bottom liner just over night.

I respect your choice,really do(not being sarcastic nor ironic)

#955 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

And people say he's a 3rd liner at best? I'd say fourth line...

Legwand still may ultimately end up centering the third line if Pav and Weiss ever come back, this season or if Legwand sticks around. Not that he is a third line quality center (though, I would say second is more appropriate than first), but that's where he might be slotted given the Red Wings depth up the middle. Playing with Mule and Gus doesn't hurt his cause right now either. 

Edited by GoWings1905, 08 March 2014 - 08:23 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#956 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

Legwand still may ultimately end up centering the third line if Pav and Weiss ever come back, this season or if Legwand sticks around. Not that he is a third line quality center (though, I would say second is more appropriate than first), but that's where he might be slotted given the Red Wings depth up the middle. Playing with Mule and Gus doesn't hurt his cause right now either. 

Definitely a 2nd liner. Good insurance for if Weiss does completely bust on us

#957 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,123 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

He's topped 50 before. I'm just talking his approximate average. Actually, I don't even want to be that specific. My point was simply that David Legwand the Red Wing may be > David Legwand the Predator. Maybe he's got another level that he could never really hit as a Pred, given their system and such. Some Preds fans certainly think so.

Consider Flip. He was good for us, but the Bolts seem to be a better fit for him. Actually, maybe that's a bad example, since the implicit understanding in what I'm saying is what Barry Melrose (of all people!) has often said: wearing the Winged Wheel brings out the best in players (except Quincey).

Don't Toews me, bro!

#958 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

So basically,you have problem with one of my (non)sarcastic post,but you don't mind listening,hearing,reading one spin after another first from Ken and then from some ppl here how our top,Hank like prospect,turned into expendable bottom liner just over night.

I respect your choice,really do(not being sarcastic nor ironic)

You made a post saying everyone was unhappy, then said later it was sarcasm. It made no sense, I was trying to show you the difference. Didn't mean anything by it.

Jarnkrok was promising but he's also 22 already and hasn't really shown his potential at all. I wish him the best but too many guys already ahead of him. If it came down to sheahan or jarnkrok I would take sheahan any day.

#959 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:58 PM

This is the first time for me chiming in on this trade.

While it was far from glamorous, I think it was an alright deal. People are calling it a "panic" move. It wasn't. It was a move to fill a massive hole at center on a team ravaged by injuries in a dog fight to make the playoffs. If Holland had done nothing, most of us would be losing our minds.

I liked Jarnkrok as prospect. I defended the s*** out of him in the "Dirty Harry" Callahan thread a while back. But the fact is, right now, the Wings have too many B-B+ prospects. Make no mistake, that's what Jarnkrok was. They could afford to make this deal.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#960 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,926 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

Not true, I knew you were going to say that.

It's very difficult to debate about a player's unknown future when it is so far off and no one here is psychic

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13