• Please log in to reply
1226 replies to this topic

#1101 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the two lines of thinking aren't mutually exclusive. 

Chances are we did overpay for Legwand because Poile would be the worst GM in the world to not make us overpay.  He had us over a barrel and he knew it, why not try and get more than you would under normal circumstances?  If we weren't so injured he'd likely have asked for less rather than lose Legwand for nothing in July. 

However, that doesn't mean that Legwand is bad, or wasn't worth the price, or that he isn't playing a huge role in our recent successes. 

There are a lot of instances when a team overpayed for someone AND it turned out to be a good move.  I bet Columbus isn't regretting the Wisniewski signing right now, nor Toronto the Kessel trade. 

So congrats, everybody is a winner in this debate.

Edited by kipwinger, 25 March 2014 - 06:53 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1102 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

Do you think Kesler, Backes and Dubinsky are top 6 forwards?? Because they have almost an identical points per game as Legwand and are also good defensively...

didn't i also say some teams don't have too many good forwards that some guys get to play in top 6 roles and get more ice time???

Kesler and backes are 2nd line guys Dubinsky depending on the team in question I'd consider more of a really good 3rd line guy

Fran's nielson has 50 pts with the islanders .... Does that make him a top 2 center on most good teams? All depends on the teams and rosters he's taken advantage of a weak islanders roster

#1103 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

Teams like Boston and Philly wouldn't sign Legwand because they already have 2nd line centers. Be realistic here. The teams who would sign Legwand are teams who need someone like Legwand. Boston wouldn't go and sign him for s***s and giggles. If he went to the Islanders? Guess what. They become a better team. A cup contender? No. Because they are missing more than just centers at this point. Legwand was good for 40+ points on a team that barely scored. A team that depended on a solid defensive system and low scoring to win games. Legwand on a team like a healthy Red Wings team will likely be a 60 point player. 

But either way, I'm done with this thread. It is silly at this point. It has become a thread of people complaining every time Jarnkrok gets a point. It is pointless. There is no longer a constructive discussion in here. You keep going on saying everyone suddenly thinks jarnkrok is a useless prospect. No, he is not. But he is useless to us because he is with Nashville now. That will not change. So if you want to keep stressing out as if Jarnkrok is all but guaranteed to be a big star, go ahead. I, along with many Wings fans, can actually see the positives in this trade and not dwell on what ifs. 

So glad we have a GM who isn't willing to give up on a season because he is too afraid to trade 1 prospect, when we still have many others, and will continue to draft more.

Well what the hell do you think I'm saying???? On a really good team he'd be a good 3rd line player which is where he's better suited at .... Why would Boston sign him for s***s and giggles ? How stupid of a comment is that?

How about putting him in the 3rd line ? How much better would the bruins be with legwand on the 3rd line

Just because your a top 6 guy with the Nashville predators doesn't make you a top 6 forward everywhere in the nhl

You say legwand will get 60 + pts with the redwings (which he got once in his career , and he's 33 now not 23)I'd say when we're healthy he'd be a perfect 3rd line guy which will give us a deeper team and hed continue to get his 40 pts

I never said jarnkrok would be a sure fire nhl superstar I said he was a top prospect .... And what the hell are you going on about??? Maybe you need to reread posts ...... After jarnkrok was dealt most people were acting like we gave up a tvrdon type prospect who was never gonna be anything in the nhl,a bottom 6 guy when in fact he was a highly touted prospect of ours for years who had finally made a turn with the griffins that's what pisses me off the most

It's as if we would of traded mrazek for legwand instead and people tomorrow would be like ah well mrazek was never gonna play in the nhl anyways he'd lucky to be a backup ... Great trade!

That's what gets to me

#1104 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Well what the hell do you think I'm saying???? On a really good team he'd be a good 3rd line player which is where he's better suited at .... Why would Boston sign him for s***s and giggles ? How stupid of a comment is that?

How about putting him in the 3rd line ? How much better would the bruins be with legwand on the 3rd line

Just because your a top 6 guy with the Nashville predators doesn't make you a top 6 forward everywhere in the nhl

You say legwand will get 60 + pts with the redwings (which he got once in his career , and he's 33 now not 23)I'd say when we're healthy he'd be a perfect 3rd line guy which will give us a deeper team and hed continue to get his 40 pts

I never said jarnkrok would be a sure fire nhl superstar I said he was a top prospect .... And what the hell are you going on about??? Maybe you need to reread posts ...... After jarnkrok was dealt most people were acting like we gave up a tvrdon type prospect who was never gonna be anything in the nhl,a bottom 6 guy when in fact he was a highly touted prospect of ours for years who had finally made a turn with the griffins that's what pisses me off the most

It's as if we would of traded mrazek for legwand instead and people tomorrow would be like ah well mrazek was never gonna play in the nhl anyways he'd lucky to be a backup ... Great trade!

That's what gets to me

highly touted prospects don't turn out to be great nhl players all the time. People were upset about the trade, then there were those who stepped back and looked at the trade rationally, we got a legit 2nd line center(yes he is) for a unproven prospect and a draft pick pretty much, nothing wrong with that trade, because it NEEDED to be made. Jarnkrok had never even stepped on the nhl ice, and we needed someone we knew we could rely on. Maybe Jarnkrok will be a top 6 guy, maybe not, but right now he isn't and he would have been useless for us trying to make the playoffs. We have given lots ok kids a chance to make a name for themselves in the nhl over the last 2 seasons, unfortunately under the circumstances we had to let our highly rated center prospect go, we still have Sheahan, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Legwand, Weiss, Helm and Glendening. I won't lose any sleep over if and buts

#1105 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:28 PM

highly touted prospects don't turn out to be great nhl players all the time. People were upset about the trade, then there were those who stepped back and looked at the trade rationally, we got a legit 2nd line center(yes he is) for a unproven prospect and a draft pick pretty much, nothing wrong with that trade, because it NEEDED to be made. Jarnkrok had never even stepped on the nhl ice, and we needed someone we knew we could rely on. Maybe Jarnkrok will be a top 6 guy, maybe not, but right now he isn't and he would have been useless for us trying to make the playoffs. We have given lots ok kids a chance to make a name for themselves in the nhl over the last 2 seasons, unfortunately under the circumstances we had to let our highly rated center prospect go, we still have Sheahan, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Legwand, Weiss, Helm and Glendening. I won't lose any sleep over if and buts

Your right .... Not all top prospects are sure nhl players ... Just bugs me everyone was acting like he was a nobody prospect we gave up

You just never know what you'd got until you play the kids , look, at sheahan everyone thought he was gonna be a bottom 6 guy but he's been really impressive and proving he might be a 2nd line center after all

Anyways gonna take a break from all this and do my workouts before the habs game starts lol

#1106 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Your right .... Not all top prospects are sure nhl players ... Just bugs me everyone was acting like he was a nobody prospect we gave up

You just never know what you'd got until you play the kids , look, at sheahan everyone thought he was gonna be a bottom 6 guy but he's been really impressive and proving he might be a 2nd line center after all

Anyways gonna take a break from all this and do my workouts before the habs game starts lol

Nobody is acting like he is a nobody prospect. You're making that up. People are being rational and saying he, like almost every other prospect, is never a sure thing. Both teams got what they needed out of this trade. Just accept it and move on. Regardless of how he turns out, there is absolutely no chance he would have stepped in and filled the role Legwand is filling RIGHT NOW. That is what the trade comes down to. Stop assuming everyone is saying Jarnkrok is a nobody prospect. Nobody has said that at all.

There is a difference between being happy with the trade and thinking Jarnkrok is a nobody. You're acting as if there is no middle ground here. 

#1107 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

The two assists that Jarnkrok has so far were not good plays by him. They were both great individual efforts by the goal scorer. I'm not reading anything into his performance yet.

#1108 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

Legwand wasn't brought here to be a star, he was brought here to supplement our stars and add some versatility to the mix. The guy has shown immediate chemistry with Goose and Mule (he and Mule have had some battles in the past as a Pred) and has yet to play alongside Pav and Hank. Jarnkrok may have potential, but him being one of the last two guys to have possession of the puck before a goal was scored is no reason to get the proverbial panties in a wad. There is no way whatsoever a team would have traded a roster player for him straight up, a franchise player at that. 

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#1109 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

Participation trophies all around!

So contrats, everybody is a winner in this debate.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#1110 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:17 AM

If we can't maintain civil and rational discussion about this trade and thread topic, it will be locked and we can all move along. I've already deleted multiple posts of people getting a bit too out of hand and tossing around borderline personal attacks here. Cool your jets and knock off the fighting, next step will be warnings issued.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#1111 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

Jarnkrok with another assist tonight. That's 3 points in 3 career games. I don't think he is getting sent back down anytime soon.

#1112 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Jarnkrok with another assist tonight. That's 3 points in 3 career games. I don't think he is getting sent back down anytime soon.

Brunnstrom scored a hat trick in his first game and scored 17 goals and 12 assists in 59 games in his rookie season in the NHL for the stars.  I am glad to see Jarnkrok with 3 points in 3 games, but longevity is the key.  The milestones should be...

1.  The first 5 games.  So far so good.

2.  The first 15 games.

3.  The first full season

4.  The second full season

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#1113 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

#1114 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

He also had an absolutely horrible giveaway that lead directly to Colorado's second goal.

It's not all rainbows and puppies.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#1115 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,177 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

He also had an absolutely horrible giveaway that lead directly to Colorado's second goal.

shhh... not too loud, reason and logic are null and void in some parts around here

#1116 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

Was losing my mind at the bar with my friends who are habs fans watching the game and saw 4-0 Nashville and just laughed

Jarnkrok got his first nhl goal tonight

1 goal 3 assist in 4 games ..... And please save the legwand argument who's now pointless in 9 of 12 games and a nice -8

So pissed off with the redwings tonight .... Hated watching all those habs losers at the bar celebrate and this is just a perfect ending to the night

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 27 March 2014 - 09:39 PM.

#1117 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

shhh... not too loud, reason and logic are null and void in some parts around here

For a rookie playing his first handful of games in the NHL? God forbid! :P Seriously, have you seen some of the crap Legwand has been laying out there? Even Tatar continues to turn the puck over with some regularity in terrible spots on the ice, but I'd take him over not only Legwand, but any trade acquisition we've had since.... when did the PS2 launch?

#1118 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

For a rookie playing his first handful of games in the NHL? God forbid! :P Seriously, have you seen some of the crap Legwand has been laying out there? Even Tatar continues to turn the puck over with some regularity in terrible spots on the ice, but I'd take him over not only Legwand, but any trade acquisition we've had since.... when did the PS2 launch?

As much as it would hurt to see jarnkrok be a star I'll take it just so we think twice before trading another top prospect

Just hope it becomes nowhere near as bad as the habs trading ryan McDonagh away for Gomez .... Now that's brutal , could of had Subban and Mcdonagh

#1119 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

Jarnkrok, acquired from the Detroit Red Wings at the NHL Trade Deadline in exchange for David Legwand, has had a point in each of his first four NHL games (one goal, three assists) since the Predators called him up. He also has had a plus rating in each game.

As Babs would say, Good for him.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#1120 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

Apparently there was a bit of an "office meeting" with Legwand and Babcock this morning.

He's been demoted to 3rd line and they're not happy with his defensive play.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS