• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matt198913

21 games to make it 23 years

Rate this topic

It's these arm chair GM wannabes that want us to tank. I'm happy the franchise has a commitment to make the playoffs. It's called a winning environment and we're not trying to take any short cuts to success

Commitment to winning or commitment to being mediocre, same difference it seems.

I want this team to commit to winning a Stanley Cup. Barely making the playoffs every year and then not going anywhere isn't success in my mind. And if the team can't realisitically compete for a cup that season, I want the team to put itself in a position to compete for it in the future. If that means cutting some veterans and letting the youth get a chance to learn the NHL game, so be it. If that means that a streak is sacrificed so the team doesn't throw away picks and prospects for bandaides, so be it. This move by Holland does not make this team a Cup contender, it makes it first round fodder, and it makes it a less viable team in the near future as well.

Jarnkrok is a kid. He would not have made an impact next year. Or the year after. Maybe in 3 years. Unless he pulls a Ryno and runs home or never develops. So much angst for a prospect who may or may not be good. How many "can't miss" prospects have we seen not come close to their potential over the years? Jarnkrok isn't even can't miss.

When fully healthy and operational:

Zetty- Datsyuk- Bertuzzi (This line was amazing at the start of the year)

Franzen- Weiss- Alfie (I truly think this line will get it together and when Weiss comes back from injury, I think this will be the line until Pavs and Hank are back)

Nyquist- Legwand- Tatar (I think this would be a fantastic 3rd line... 2 kids who have chemistry together and a solid veteran)

Abby- Helm- Sheahan/Miller

Say what you want, but that team can totally compete against the Boston Bruins and Penguins. All we have to do is get into the playoffs and our team, when healthy, can make anything possible.

When fully healthy and operational:

Zetty- Datsyuk- Bertuzzi (This line was amazing at the start of the year)

Franzen- Weiss- Alfie (I truly think this line will get it together and when Weiss comes back from injury, I think this will be the line until Pavs and Hank are back)

Nyquist- Legwand- Tatar (I think this would be a fantastic 3rd line... 2 kids who have chemistry together and a solid veteran)

Abby- Helm- Sheahan/Miller

Say what you want, but that team can totally compete against the Boston Bruins and Penguins. All we have to do is get into the playoffs and our team, when healthy, can make anything possible.

Yeah until you look at the defense and the goaltending. Honestly, outside of Kronwall, and at times Ericcson, the defense has been bad this season. Dekeyser and Smith are both young, and in a few years will be able to step to top 4 roles, but right now both are just not quite there. Kyle Quinecy and Kindl both need to be dropped as soon as possible. Boston and Pittsburgh would have a field day against this D.

Commitment to winning or commitment to being mediocre, same difference it seems.

I want this team to commit to winning a Stanley Cup. Barely making the playoffs every year and then not going anywhere isn't success in my mind. And if the team can't realisitically compete for a cup that season, I want the team to put itself in a position to compete for it in the future. If that means cutting some veterans and letting the youth get a chance to learn the NHL game, so be it. If that means that a streak is sacrificed so the team doesn't throw away picks and prospects for bandaides, so be it. This move by Holland does not make this team a Cup contender, it makes it first round fodder, and it makes it a less viable team in the near future as well.

Yes, I think we fully understand your line of thinking. A commitment to losing now is a commitment to winning later. And, you think that automatically will turn Detroit into the new Pittsburgh and Chicago. The main problems that I have with that are that (as has been pointed out to you already), top draft picks do not always lead to Stanley Cups or even general success. There are more examples of teams that drafted high for multiple seasons and it didn't work out that well for them than the other. And, I don't think losing purposefully for any reason is respectable and I can not and will not buy into it. I don't root for my team to lose - that's what fans of the other teams do.

Yes, I think we fully understand your line of thinking. A commitment to losing now is a commitment to winning later. And, you think that automatically will turn Detroit into the new Pittsburgh and Chicago. The main problems that I have with that are that (as has been pointed out to you already), top draft picks do not always lead to Stanley Cups or even general success. There are more examples of teams that drafted high for multiple seasons and it didn't work out that well for them than the other. And, I don't think losing purposefully for any reason is respectable and I can not and will not buy into it. I don't root for my team to lose - that's what fans of the other teams do.

You obviously don't understand my line of thinking.

You obviously don't understand my line of thinking.

So, you didn't say that you'd rather see the Wings finish dead last than 7th-10th?

And, that doesn't qualify as wanting the Wings to lose?

Edited by barabbas16

So, you didn't say that you'd rather see the Wings finish dead last than 7th-10th?

And, that's not wanting the Wings to lose?

I'd rather see a clear plan and not half measures. The current plan is purely half measures, not wanting to either do what it takes to compete for a cup nor actually put the effort into a real rebuild. And to be honest I think that it will cause it to take more years to do it this halfassed way than it would to actually commit to a rebuild.

I'd rather see a clear plan and not half measures. The current plan is purely half measures, not wanting to either do what it takes to compete for a cup nor actually put the effort into a real rebuild. And to be honest I think that it will cause it to take more years to do it this halfassed way than it would to actually commit to a rebuild.

I guess I've been still holding out that this 'rebuild on the fly' deal that they're been trying to pull off would work out. It would be way more awesome if they were able to retool the lineup and get back into Cup contention without missing the playoffs. It seemed like it was going pretty well until they ran into all of these injuries this season and last.

Yeah, and you're pretty short sighted to not see that once the Blackhawks started to play the Wings seriously it was over. After game 4 the the Wings scored 5 goals in 3 games, it wasn't as close as people like to pretend it was.

Really can't get much closer than OT in game 7. Regardless of what would have happened if Chicago (or Anaheim) had played their best the whole series, or how easily they might have had it had they been more "serious", the fact is we were one shot away from beating them. One lucky bounce, one good snipe, one little mistake from them...

False dilemma. Realistically, this trade probably means next to nothing in regards to our future.

We were desperate for an NHL center. We got one. Maybe at a steep price, depending on what Jarnkrok does. It may or may not help in the short term, May or may not create other options in the future. Most likely it doesn't make much difference to anything.

We have a pretty darn good NHL center in Legwand. Yeah we gave up Jarnkrock to get him, but c'mon ya have to give something to get something. He can step in and hold the fort until Pav or Helm or Weiss gets back going. I really think this team will compete in the playoffs of healthy. These last 21 will also show us how good Bab's really is. If he can take this rag tag bunch of misfit toys and get into the playoffs, how is he not coach of the year?!!!!

What's the point of making the playoffs. ? This team would be get absolutely grilled against Boston or Pittsburgh also now they need to look for a top center prospect in the upcoming. Draft.

Dear god people are freaking out! Jarnkrok was not a top center prospect. Maybe once upon a time he was, maybe, but he hasn't had the development most had hoped. Good prospect, certainly not a top prospect. And this is coming from a huge Jarnkrok fan.

As for the playoffs, if we make it we will most likely get Z back.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Sheahan

Franzen-Legwand-Nyquist

Tatar-Weiss-Alfredsson

Abdelkader-Helm-Miller

Yes our defense has holes and Howard has to get his game together, but that forward lineup imo would not be an easy one for ANYONE to match up with.

Again, people keep talking about a playoff streak in a league where more teams make the playoffs than miss it. It's really not that special. Want something special? Once the Wings can start challenging the Habs for number of cups I will be really impressed.

If it's really not something special, how come other teams aren't close to our streak. If you don't want to compare the streak to other sports - It's the 5th longest streak in NHL history, but all the longer streaks were started in 60s or 70s - long before the 92 expansion. If you miss the significance of being able keeping a competitive hockey team for that length of time in the modern NHL, you are missing a large part of what has made the Red Wing under Illitch a very unique organization.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

dats sick.....On February 26, 2014 Hockeysfuture.com updated the top 20 prospects for the DRW. Mantha was 1, Mrasek was 2, Jurco was 3, Jarnkrok was 4, Dekeyser was 5, etc........ Now think about that group. Our Future top line LW, future starting G, future second line LW/RW, future top pair Dman and maybe captain, and jarnkrok.

Now only 1 or 2 things can be, either all of our prospect rankings are wrong, or Jarnkrok was a highly ranked prospect that we just wasted on a rental. can only be 1 or the other.

dats sick.....On February 26, 2014 Hockeysfuture.com updated the top 20 prospects for the DRW. Mantha was 1, Mrasek was 2, Jurco was 3, Jarnkrok was 4, Dekeyser was 5, etc........ Now think about that group. Our Future top line LW, future starting G, future second line LW/RW, future top pair Dman and maybe captain, and jarnkrok.

Now only 1 or 2 things can be, either all of our prospect rankings are wrong, or Jarnkrok was a highly ranked prospect that we just wasted on a rental. can only be 1 or the other.

Sure he was a highly ranked prospect. One of my favorites. But in most people's eyes, and certainly in the eyes of management/Babcock, Sheahan has jumped ahead of him this season. Putting him into 'expendable' territory. Especially if he didn't want to do another year in GR, which he 100% would have had to do in our system.

I'm sad to see him go but we should wait and see both what Legwand brings and what Calle actually can do if he gets to see the NHL ice this season.

Can someone point me to the quote where Holland says he's not going after a rental? I'm sure it exists, but I'd just like to have reference to it.

Just as a sidenote: Babcock was quoted today with wanting to not lose young talent from within the locker-room. Specifically: Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Glendening, and DeKeyser.

http://redwingsfront.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/according-to-babcock-dont-look-for-wings-to-part-with-any-young-assests-inside-the-locker-room/

When you increase your value internally, I guess what I would say is I’m not in any big hurry to get rid of these people,” Wings coach Mike Babcock said after practice at Joe Louis Arena. “I guess it depends on where you’re from and what your thought process is, to me if you want to have a championship team for a long period of time you have to build it.”

“And you’re not building it by getting rid of your young guys, you have to build it,” Babcock said. “When you get to a certain point then you can move assets. We’re not at that point.”

Calle falls outside of that realm, I guess.

http://redwingsfront.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/according-to-babcock-dont-look-for-wings-to-part-with-any-young-assests-inside-the-locker-room/

Can someone point me to the quote where Holland says he's not going after a rental? I'm sure it exists, but I'd just like to have reference to it.

Just as a sidenote: Babcock was quoted today with wanting to not lose young talent from within the locker-room. Specifically: Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Glendening, and DeKeyser.

Calle falls outside of that realm, I guess.

I don't have the quote but it was said a few days ago, before it was known that Datysuk would be missing serious time, and before Helm got injured. During the deadline fury, some beat writer or analyst mentioned (or maybe quotes Holland?) that the injuries threw a wrench into Holland's original deadline plans.