• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

What's the point of making the playoffs. ? This team would be get absolutely grilled against Boston or Pittsburgh also now they need to look for a top center prospect in the upcoming. Draft.

Dear god people are freaking out! Jarnkrok was not a top center prospect. Maybe once upon a time he was, maybe, but he hasn't had the development most had hoped. Good prospect, certainly not a top prospect. And this is coming from a huge Jarnkrok fan.

As for the playoffs, if we make it we will most likely get Z back.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Sheahan

Franzen-Legwand-Nyquist

Tatar-Weiss-Alfredsson

Abdelkader-Helm-Miller

Yes our defense has holes and Howard has to get his game together, but that forward lineup imo would not be an easy one for ANYONE to match up with.

#42 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

Yeah I think we've got a fair shot

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#43 trule23

trule23

Prospect

• 44 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:30 PM

yup

Edited by trule23, 05 March 2014 - 10:34 PM.

#44 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

Again, people keep talking about a playoff streak in a league where more teams make the playoffs than miss it. It's really not that special. Want something special? Once the Wings can start challenging the Habs for number of cups I will be really impressed. 

If it's really not something special, how come other teams aren't close to our streak. If you don't want to compare the streak to other sports - It's the 5th longest streak in NHL history, but all the longer streaks were started in 60s or 70s - long before the 92 expansion. If you miss the significance of being able keeping a competitive hockey team for that length of time in the modern NHL, you are missing a large part of what has made the Red Wing under Illitch a very unique organization. 

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk, 05 March 2014 - 10:55 PM.

#45 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

dats sick.....On February 26, 2014 Hockeysfuture.com updated the top 20 prospects for the DRW. Mantha was 1, Mrasek was 2, Jurco was 3, Jarnkrok was 4, Dekeyser was 5, etc........ Now think about that group. Our Future top line LW, future starting G, future second line LW/RW, future top pair Dman and maybe captain, and jarnkrok.

Now only 1 or 2 things can be, either all of our prospect rankings are wrong, or Jarnkrok was a highly ranked prospect that we just wasted on a rental. can only be 1 or the other.

#46 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:44 PM

Dekeyser isn't a prospect.  He's a roster player.  So yeah, ALL OF THE PROSPECT RANKINGS ARE WRONG!!!

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#47 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

dats sick.....On February 26, 2014 Hockeysfuture.com updated the top 20 prospects for the DRW. Mantha was 1, Mrasek was 2, Jurco was 3, Jarnkrok was 4, Dekeyser was 5, etc........ Now think about that group. Our Future top line LW, future starting G, future second line LW/RW, future top pair Dman and maybe captain, and jarnkrok.

Now only 1 or 2 things can be, either all of our prospect rankings are wrong, or Jarnkrok was a highly ranked prospect that we just wasted on a rental. can only be 1 or the other.

Sure he was a highly ranked prospect. One of my favorites. But in most people's eyes, and certainly in the eyes of management/Babcock, Sheahan has jumped ahead of him this season. Putting him into 'expendable' territory. Especially if he didn't want to do another year in GR, which he 100% would have had to do in our system.

I'm sad to see him go but we should wait and see both what Legwand brings and what Calle actually can do if he gets to see the NHL ice this season.

#48 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:16 PM

Edit wrong thread.

The end of the season is way exciting when nothing is a sure thing

Edited by Echolalia, 05 March 2014 - 11:19 PM.

#49 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

Can someone point me to the quote where Holland says he's not going after a rental?  I'm sure it exists, but I'd just like to have reference to it.

Just as a sidenote:  Babcock was quoted today with wanting to not lose young talent from within the locker-room.  Specifically:  Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Glendening, and DeKeyser.

http://redwingsfront...he-locker-room/

When you increase your value internally, I guess what I would say is I’m not in any big hurry to get rid of these people,” Wings coach Mike Babcock said after practice at Joe Louis Arena. “I guess it depends on where you’re from and what your thought process is, to me if you want to have a championship team for a long period of time you have to build it.”

“And you’re not building it by getting rid of your young guys, you have to build it,” Babcock said. “When you get to a certain point then you can move assets. We’re not at that point.”

Calle falls outside of that realm, I guess.

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#50 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

Can someone point me to the quote where Holland says he's not going after a rental?  I'm sure it exists, but I'd just like to have reference to it.

Just as a sidenote:  Babcock was quoted today with wanting to not lose young talent from within the locker-room.  Specifically:  Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Glendening, and DeKeyser.

I don't have the quote but it was said a few days ago, before it was known that Datysuk would be missing serious time, and before Helm got injured. During the deadline fury, some beat writer or analyst mentioned (or maybe quotes Holland?) that the injuries threw a wrench into Holland's original deadline plans.

#51 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:26 PM

But injuries to key top-six forwards apparently will not alter the Red Wings’ trade deadline strategy: They’re still not interested in paying a premium (top young players, high-end prospects and/or a first-round pick) for a rental player. And if they make a deal by 3 p.m. Wednesday it’s more likely to be for a defenseman.

General manager Ken Holland reiterated on Monday that he’s not looking for a short-term fix. With the Red Wings on the playoff bubble it makes no sense to Holland to spend assets on a player who is in the final year of his contract, in a year the club might not even make the postseason.

“I consider a hockey trade where you can get a player that’s going to be on your roster in September,” Holland said. “Because of where we are in the standings and because of the unknown with the number of our key players with regards to injury it’s pretty difficult to step up and trade high draft picks and real top prospects in order to get short-term players.

“Will you trade a mid-round pick or (middling) prospects for rentals? Yeah, but those rentals, they’re not going to have a big impact on your team. We’ve got players as good as those guys or better.”

http://www.mlive.com..._to_key_fo.html

He never says it outright.  this as about as close as he comes, with a disclaimer. 

“I think this time of year you’re always looking for defensemen, but obviously there’s a lot of teams looking for defensemen,” Holland said. “We’ll see. It depends on what’s available. I don’t see us playing a big price on a rental. I don’t believe that’s the direction we should go but you never know when you get to Wednesday.”

http://www.mlive.com...d_says_hed.html

#52 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

Seriously? Not long ago you didn't think enough of Jarnkrok to even include him in our list of prospects...

#53 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:47 AM

Seriously? Not long ago you didn't think enough of Jarnkrok to even include him in our list of prospects...

Stop Judging Rich, we all think irrationally sometimes

#54 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:51 AM

Dear god people are freaking out! Jarnkrok was not a top center prospect. Maybe once upon a time he was, maybe, but he hasn't had the development most had hoped. Good prospect, certainly not a top prospect. And this is coming from a huge Jarnkrok fan.

As for the playoffs, if we make it we will most likely get Z back.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Sheahan

Franzen-Legwand-Nyquist

Tatar-Weiss-Alfredsson

Abdelkader-Helm-Miller

Yes our defense has holes and Howard has to get his game together, but that forward lineup imo would not be an easy one for ANYONE to match up with.

Shutdown the first line Kings, Blues or Bruins style and well add to that our  unreal defense I'm sure the contenders are already in fear of potentially playing us.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#55 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:24 AM

Jarnkrok is outside of that realm, as he's: 1) not a roster player, 2) not a regular call up player and 3) moving ONE player is not selling the farm like Babcock was eluding to. 

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#56 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

Shutdown the first line Kings, Blues or Bruins style and well add to that our  unreal defense I'm sure the contenders are already in fear of potentially playing us.

Sacrificing Jarnkrok to make the playoffs is worth it to me. It would be nice to end this disastrous season on a positive especially for the young guys. This stretch will be huge for them and will be pretty damn exciting for a Red Wings fan.

Edited by joesuffP, 06 March 2014 - 01:33 AM.

#57 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

Thanks Harold.

I don't have the quote but it was said a few days ago, before it was known that Datysuk would be missing serious time, and before Helm got injured. During the deadline fury, some beat writer or analyst mentioned (or maybe quotes Holland?) that the injuries threw a wrench into Holland's original deadline plans.

That's what I had seen today yesterday as well, Echolalia.  I just wanted to compare what he had said previously to what he said today yesterday.  It's not surprising to me at all that he made the move... and after 15 hours of sitting on it, I'm fine with it.

It'll help us get into the playoffs and it gives us depth at center that we can truly use to our advantage heading into the off season and even into next season.

---

Also, it was nice to see that Philly and Calgary were able to keep the Caps and Sens in check for us last night.

Too bad Toronto was able to pick up some points.

I do think that this year is again going to be as much about us winning as others losing.  I hate it when it's like this.

For example:  Tonight it'd be great if we can win, and Buffalo, Boston, and Chicago also win.

I know WE can only control whether we win or not, but I'm one to sit and watch the standings from day to day and gnaw my fingernails to nubs as we inch closer and closer to the playoffs.  (...but that's just me.)

Edited by e_prime, 06 March 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#58 AndrewK80

AndrewK80

Jr. Prospect

• 22 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

What's the point of making the playoffs. ? 

You need a goal in mind when playing the final 21 games of the season.

#59 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

Can we get 21 points? That would be playing .500. If all of our young players are truely good players, should be no problem right? After all we have played the whole season without Z and/or Datsyuk, so there should be no excuse. These guys are just to good to be put into a package deal for a proven STAR.

#60 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

Okay, again in the NHL over 50% of the teams make the playoffs. 

To give you an idea how easy it is lets compare it to the NFL and MLB

In the MLB there are 30 teams, 8 make the playoffs. Percent of teams that make it any given year: 26%

In the NFL there are 32 teams, 12 teams make the playoffs. Percent of teams that make it any given year: 37.5

In the NHL has 30 teams, 16 make the playoffs. Percent of teams that make it any given year: 53%

Not really as big a deal compared to other leagues, now is it? 

Best and most intense playoffs in all of sports.  There's a solid 100% ;)

Can we get 21 points? That would be playing .500. If all of our young players are truely good players, should be no problem right? After all we have played the whole season without Z and/or Datsyuk, so there should be no excuse. These guys are just to good to be put into a package deal for a proven STAR.

We're 2-1 since the Olympics, so that's already 66% wins.  I'm pretty ok with our odds, especially looking at the Leafs right in front of us who love choking and the pile of crap behind us in the standings.

We're 2-1 since the Olympics, so that's already 66% wins.  I'm pretty ok with our odds, especially looking at the Leafs right in front of us who love choking and the pile of crap behind us in the standings.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.