Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

3/6 GDT: Avs 3 at Red Wings 2 (OT) Sorry Nick.

gdt

• Please log in to reply
591 replies to this topic

#561 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

Ugh, I'm having such a hard time right now.  I REALLY don't want to join the ranks of cynical hater, but I also don't want to sit here and say "it's just the injuries".  It is the injuries, plus the fact that all of our current best players are guys who our coach and/or GM didn't even envision on the team 8 months ago.

Welcome to the darkside

#562 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

Played soid winning hockey since the Olympic break all these games we should have won. Something's gotta give keep playing like this and the wins will roll in
We should be playing Gustavsson down the stretch if he gets a win and looks good tomorrow. Jimmy's record is pitiful. When's the last time a wings goalie finished the season with a losing record

#563 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:01 AM

Great game imo. We played an awful OT, but we were unlucky not to win in regulation.
I hope Gustavsson gets some more starts the rest of the way. Howard for some reason isn't getting it done in most games. Never a big save at a key moment.

Never a big save at a Key moment ... Yet he's suppose to be an "elite" goalie ..... Like you just said for some reason howard seems to never make the big save when we need him to

#564 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:02 AM

The injuries you couldn't have predicted but that defense was awful when the season started and its still awful.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#565 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:08 AM

This is what happens to seeming 85% of goalies after they sign a huge contract. Hopefully he can bounce back next year cause he seems to be totally shot for the year. I'd go with Gustavsson until he lays a dud.

#566 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:09 AM

This is what happens to seeming 85% of goalies after they sign a huge contract. Hopefully he can bounce back next year cause he seems to be totally shot for the year. I'd go with Gustavsson until he lays a dud.

I can't totally blame Howard, when your best player in the game is Bertuzzi, you don't have much hope to win.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#567 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:11 AM

The injuries you couldn't have predicted but that defense was awful when the season started and its still awful.

More than that. It's funny everyone, including management, seems to blame injuries, but even when we had a full lineup for the first 1/4 of season, we looked awful. This is a team who barely BARELY beat Buffalo and started barely .500 before the injuries started. 

Point is, even with a full deck our team blows. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#568 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:13 AM

Yep and the biggest reason we suck is that Holland had been unable to find even a halfway decent defenseman in the last three seasons.

#569 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:19 AM

More than that. It's funny everyone, including management, seems to blame injuries, but even when we had a full lineup for the first 1/4 of season, we looked awful. This is a team who barely BARELY beat Buffalo and started barely .500 before the injuries started. 

Point is, even with a full deck our team blows.

Exactly, most of the teams forwards to start the season were 3rd and 4th liners and some shouldn't have even been on the team in the first place.
It took Tatar awhile to crack the lineup and even longer to play on the top two lines, and Nyquist was stuck in the AHL, if they both played earlier we might have won some games at the beginning.

Rafalski left, Stuart left, Lidstrom left, and non of them were replaced. Holland is lucky Dekeyser fell into his lap.

Edited by wings87, 07 March 2014 - 12:21 AM.

#570 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:21 AM

sweet defense on the night they retire the best dman to ever play in the NHL

also lol at Howard getting outplayed by ol Giguere, why didn't we try for Tim Thomas? ahaha

imagine if they were in the West right now lolololol just getting pumped probably chilling downstairs with Calgary and Edmonton

Edited by Yak19, 07 March 2014 - 12:26 AM.

#571 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

really glad they picked up a real dman at the deadline

was getting tired of blowing 3rd period leads game after game

..wait, what's that?  they didn't upgrade the defense and they're still blowing 3rd period leads?

this team is really something.

#572 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,609 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:30 AM

Tough loss but I'll take the point. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#573 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

Exactly, most of the teams forwards to start the season were 3rd and 4th liners and some shouldn't have even been on the team in the first place.
It took Tatar awhile to crack the lineup and even longer to play on the top two lines, and Nyquist was stuck in the AHL, if they both played earlier we might have won some games at the beginning.
Rafalski left, Stuart left, Lidstrom left, and non of them were replaced. Holland is lucky Dekeyser fell into his lap.

If Tatar and nyquist started with the team last year they'd be a lot better than they already are now .... It's unfortunate it takes a ton of injuries to get the kids to play ... Even worse that it happens in bunches

Nyquist Tatar jurco sheahan .... Guess we can say were lucky or unlucky depending what you think of our defense that our defense has pretty much been ok .... No really longterm injuries in the back end

Tough loss but I'll take the point.

Tomorrow is a must win

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 07 March 2014 - 12:39 AM.

#574 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

Yep and the biggest reason we suck is that Holland had been unable to find even a halfway decent defenseman in the last three seasons.

We've been relying on our centers A LOT defensively for years. Our defense isn't great but with good puck carrying centers it looks miles better. Sadly I more and more start to feel like Filppula was a bad loss for us. Offensively he was questionable but he fit our defense very nicely with his ability to skate the puck up ice.

#575 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

That is true but when you lose three defenders like we did you have to do at least something and if we didn't luck out and get DD our defense would be a complete disaster right now.

#576 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:57 AM

Didn't watch the game but just looked at boxscore ... Legwand -2, was he really that bad?  Looks like Howard has got to play better for us, not that many shots on him.  

#577 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,150 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

Not sure which one this team is the Titanic thats about to hit the iceberg, or the iceberg that's dead in the water.

The iceberg sinks the titanic, I'll be the iceberg

#578 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

So glad I've decided to not watch it after the ceremony.

btw. congrats to MacKinnon for breaking the great ones record. This kid is something special.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#579 Sgt. Angry

Sgt. Angry

Sgt. Angry

• PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

Morning after b***h fest.

Didn't get to watch the Lidstrom ceremony until this morning. And I was very upset that I had to watch John Keating running his yap, while they SHOULD have been showing us the introductions of all of the former players and coaches. And then, while several speakers noted that "Nobody else would ever wear #5 again," someone decided to put Lidstrom's jersey on a whole team of sub-par performers, who can't ever seem to even play a whole 60 minute game. Harumph!

Watch out!!!! - it's the Sheik ---- and he's got an object!!!!

#580 Sgt. Angry

Sgt. Angry

Sgt. Angry

• PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

So glad I've decided to not watch it after the ceremony.

btw. congrats to MacKinnon for breaking the great ones record. This kid is something special.

So happy for MacKinnon that he wasn't drafted by Detroit. If he was, instead of breaking Gretzky's record, he'd still be in Grand Rapids, and we'd be pleading with Holland to bring him up!

Watch out!!!! - it's the Sheik ---- and he's got an object!!!!