If management wishes to move this, feel free. But this is way beyond just the trade.
1. A couple of years ago the RW's and Hawken were running around talking about Jarnkrok is "NHL ready right now". he was in our top ten prospects list. Yet he only has 33 year old UFA checking C value in a trade. This all can't be right. If he is good, then he would have much more value. Are the RW's way over valuing our prospects?
2. What is the difference in performance between Legwand, Helm, Andersson, Abby, and Sheahan? TBH I don't see it. Yes there are some size differences etc.... But in terms of what they bring to the RW's in game, there isn't much. All play a 2 way game. Most bump and bang a little bit, and once in a while they all score a goal. By my math, that makes 5 guys that are 3/4 C's at best. So what did we gain?
3. If we did over value jarnkrok, are we doing the same thing with others? As the smoke clears we will hear many of the proposed trades. Some we have already heard rumors about. It sure seems like the rest of the NHL has much lower opinions of our "prospects" than we do. The same thing happens here with our fans. We can't trade..... "insert prospect name here" because they are to good! Well, if they are so good, then we should make the playoffs no problem. We have 21 games and 42 points available this season. If Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco, Sheahan etc... are really good young players then we should be able to play at the same .500 level we have been at all year. After all we have been without Z and/or dat off and on all year.
4. Fact is Holland lied to the fans and got screwed. he said several times: "No rentals". Legwand is a rental. UFA this summer. He is also old and LHed. Bringing him in doesn't solve any of our issues or problems. No I am not bagging on Legwand. In fact I like him as a player. If we did this deal 5 years ago, it would be a much better deal. he was signed long term then.
Holland talked for days in not a couple of weeks that he was looking for a hockey trade. Sorry but this isn't one. This is a panic move and a rental.
5. Now the moves made not made. For the past week many on here were discussing the +/- of kesler. he is 29 and has a cap hit of 5 million. Legwand is 33 and has a cap hit of 4.5 million. Kesler is looking even better now isn't he! In fact the idea of moving a helm, jarnkrok, 1st, and one more prospect doesn't look so bad does it? We paid almost the same for Legwand. Now granted we don't know what the Nucks were after or if Kesler would even say yes to a deal. But it is the perspective I am talking about more than the deal/no deal. This also brings us to helm. legwand has a cap hit of 4.5 million per year. helm is a similar player. Better on D not as good on O.
6. Holland. There are many of us that have been doubting Holland for the past couple of years. Not sure if he has "it" anymore. days like today reinforce that belief. Fails to make moves to try to improve the team, bad UFA signings, and now I am getting more worried about his drafting. Our prospects don't have much value. Young guys that we trade or let walk are failing to develop for other NHL teams. A few years back it was Rottila. Last 2 years it was Mursack and Emmerton. Now we will find out about Jarnkrok, tatar, nyquist, sheahan, jurco etc.....
7. TBH I wasn't expecting a deal today. After what we did, I wish we would have stood pat and done NOTHING. There is no doubt in my mind that if we wanted to, we could have signed Legwand as a UFA. So we have paided 2 players and a draft pick for a guy that would have gladly signed here.
8. The only positive from today is, some of the guys we were after are still with their teams and will be available this summer. kesler will be out there, edler will, Myers will, erhoff will, etc..... The real question is, will we have a GM willing to go after them? same with the UFA's vanek, moulson, Callahan, etc.....
Ok flame away!