• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Datsyukian-Deke

Red Wings have Recalled Pulkkinen from Grand Rapids

Rate this topic

Pulkkinen is the obvious next forward call up, leading the Griffs in goals and points at the moment.

But has anyone seen Almqvists numbers this season? I know many of you have considered shipping him out in a trade, but damn he's proving to be an offensive force as a Dman. Despite his size I'm starting to favor him over Marchenko, Ouellet, Sproul and Jensen. Blashill said at the beginning of the year that he's undersized and would have to find his niche as smart puck mover if he's ever going to make the big leagues. He seems to be taking that to heart. We might have a Torey Krug on our hands.

Why?

I think Jurco has a lot of talent but I see him more as a 3rd liner. Teemu has the scoring ability to be a top 6 forward. Of course this is speculation and my opinion after seeing both Jurco and Teemu play in GR

Jurco is bigger faster and other than his shot he has better hand than Pulk. I don't see him as a 3rd liner.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/helm-weiss-and-samuelsson-skating-early

Looks like the ines in practice are:

93 - 17 - 8

21 - 15 - 14

44 - 41 - 11

20 - 25 - Pulkinen

Playing with Miller and Emmerton on the fourth line should give him ample chance to prove himself :sarcasm:

At least they have him on the point on the second PP unit.

No kidding. Even our front office can see that's where he needs to be with that slapper.

A friend of mine is a bartender at a bar in Grand Rapids that the Griffins frequent quite a bit. He's met Teemu a couple of times and said that he's incredibly nice and friendly and down to earth (unlike others he's met, like Smith, who he says used to get wasted and run his mouth like he's hot stuff) he's also spoken with Glendening a few times, who he says is also very classy and soft spoken in real life. He said to me that he asked Glenny about Pulkkinen, and all Luke had to say was that his slap shot is unreal and is "the best he's ever seen"

He works as a bouncer as well and experienced Chris Chelios coming into the bar about a year ago as well. He said he took Chris's ID before looking at him and said "hey, your Chris Chelios" (as an excited fan would) Chris apparently responded "Glad you can read" and proceeded into the bar lol

lol

Yeah, Pulkkinen is very nice, friendly, from what I've seen of him. I can totally see Smith getting wasted and calling himself the next Tom Brady or something. And that sounds like classic Chelly.

As for Jurco - he's probably more of a third-liner right now, but certainly he projects as a first-line player. Which is great. As much as I like Pulkkinen, he doesn't project as a first-liner. More of a second-liner, maybe a third-liner.

As for Jurco - he's probably more of a third-liner right now, but certainly he projects as a first-line player. Which is great. As much as I like Pulkkinen, he doesn't project as a first-liner. More of a second-liner, maybe a third-liner.

dat shot tho

lol

Yeah, Pulkkinen is very nice, friendly, from what I've seen of him. I can totally see Smith getting wasted and calling himself the next Tom Brady or something. And that sounds like classic Chelly.

At this point, neither of them are probably good enough defensively to play in Babcock's top six when the team is healthy.

Jurco's size makes him a better fit in the top six though. I can see Pulkinen being used like Hudler was back in the day: 3rd line with 2nd line updise.

I'd love to see Jurco on Datsyuk's wing in the near future. I feel like he could haul the piano like Abby, but also play it a bit too.

That shot is awesome. I'm worried that he won't have the time or space to tee it up in the NHL as frequently as he's used to, but I definitely could see him being an impact player on the power play, if nothing else.

It's definitely going to be much harder for him in The Big League. Which worries me. Half a second and half an inch is HUGE. But I feel like his shot is literally as good as it could possibly, humanly be, so we'll see how it plays out. Playing the point on the PP will give him some time and space and leeway to figure some things out, hopefully.

At this point, neither of them are probably good enough defensively to play in Babcock's top six when the team is healthy.

Jurco's size makes him a better fit in the top six though. I can see Pulkinen being used like Hudler was back in the day: 3rd line with 2nd line updise.

I'd love to see Jurco on Datsyuk's wing in the near future. I feel like he could haul the piano like Abby, but also play it a bit too.

No, I absolutely agree - Babs will die before he gives either of them serious top-six duties on a healthy roster, unless he feels like he really has to. But Jurco is definitely much better suited for it now than Pulkkinen is because of his size and the game he plays.

I still think Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Jurco could be awesome.

Edited by Dabura

93 - 17 - 8

21 - 15 - 14

44 - 41 - 11

20 - 25 - Pulkinen

Playing with Miller and Emmerton on the fourth line should give him ample chance to prove himself :sarcasm:

I'd much rather something like...

Nyquist - Franzen - Alfredsson

Tatar - Legwand - Pulkkinen

Abdelkader - Sheahan - Bertuzzi

Miller - Glendenning - Callahan

Babcock is terrible at line adjustments.

Abdelkader is not a top line player. How is Alfredsson supposed to do anything on a line with Glendenning and Bertuzzi? How is Pulkkinen supposed to show what he can do on the 4th line with Emmerton and Miller? C'mon Babs, put players in a position to succeed, instead of always setting them up for failure.

Edited by krsmith17

The one thing that should really work in Pulks's favor is that Babs has complained, quite explicitly, that we don't shoot the puck enough, and that that's a big reason why we're always hurting for goals. Given that, and the fact that we've scored all of one goal across our last two games (against the Rangers and Jackets, two beatable teams), and the fact that our PP hasn't been getting it done...to me, that should at least get Pulkkinen into game action.

On a more general note - it's kinda weird to me that we've had all this success with rookies and call-ups, but we're so hesitant to give this kid and his ten-ton cannon a legitimate...shot. (Pun.) I mean, I can understand the reasoning. Bertuzzi's actually been reasonably productive (and a threat on the PP), so swapping him for a diminutive, defensively suspect call-up probably won't give us more than what we'd get by just keeping Bertuzzi in. But we won't really know for sure unless we try. And, again, it's not like our rookie forwards haven't been blowing away expectations all season long.

I think between Tatar, Nyqvuist, Sheahan, and Jurco, the Wings' organization should have enough evidence to loosen the leash a bit on our prospects. I fully understand starting Pulkinen on the fourth because we frankly know nothing about his NHL game, but if he is demonstrating solid play in the first period on the fourth line, Babs needs to be ready to shuffle him up and see what happens.

I think between Tatar, Nyqvuist, Sheahan, and Jurco, the Wings' organization should have enough evidence to loosen the leash a bit on our prospects. I fully understand starting Pulkinen on the fourth because we frankly know nothing about his NHL game, but if he is demonstrating solid play in the first period on the fourth line, Babs needs to be ready to shuffle him up and see what happens.

The problem is, he probably won't demonstrate solid play on the 4th line, because that just isn't his game. He is not a checker so why put him in that role? Put the kid on a line with a couple players that can actually tee it up for him in the slot. Emmerton and Miller are not those players.

93 - 17 - 8

21 - 15 - 14

44 - 41 - 11

20 - 25 - Pulkinen

Seeing #11 there scared me for a second,then I realized it's #71 now :lol:

Frankly, I'm just excited to see what he's got. I'm hoping he plays well enough in the first to get a promotion to another line. We shall see, but here's hoping the Oilers take a few penalties in the first. Anyone know what number he's wearing?

Scratch that...

looks like number 56 according to Ansar

Edited by wings4thecup06

With Jurco out, why is Alfredsson still not playing with Sheahan and Tatar? It could boost his production and give the kids a really good producer.

Maybe with Alfies age they dont want him getting second line minutes.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

Maybe with Alfies age they dont want him getting second line minutes.

He's not being used with his strengths. He was almost a PPG earlier this year playing in a top 6 role, now he is playing with players that aren't that good in comparison to how he plays the game.

He deserves to be given top 6 role. No offense to Abby but he doesn't deserve to be on the top line over Alfie, especially since he has 1/3 the amount of points.

I disagree that Pulkinen should be on the 4 th line. Put him itch Tatar and Sheahan. My biggest complaint about Babcock is his inability to put proper players together. If Pulkinen is on the 4th line, it explains one of the reasons why the Wings are in the mess they're in.

i agree we need to win games and on paper he would mesh well with tatar and sheahan but we dont know what hes capable of yet. he might be a turnover machine, defensive liability, etc.

hope he rips a couple huge slappers tomorrow