• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

3/7 GDT: Devils 4 at Red Wings 7

Rate this topic

Weiss comes back, plays well, then in the summer we flip him for Edler and sign Legwand. Stanley Cup

If Dats is healthy in the playoffs, the kids stay strong and Weiss comes back and plays halfway descent, there's nothing stopping this team from making a run this year. I'll say it again and again: when you have guys like Dats and Z around, you've got a chance every year. We've been lucky to have the injuries in some ways because it got some of these kids taking on bigger roles that they're ready to battle into. We're a better team with our kids than we are with the scrubs Holland keeps signing. The D needs work, no doubt, but they've been better than they probably should be. Jimmy is capable when he's on his game.

There's no reason they can't do something this year if at least Dats is truly healthy in the playoffs. Z isn't going to be, but if he's around, he'll help; he'll be a strong leader and push the guys around him to be better, and he could surprise us. He's that type of player. But we can't rely on that. Dats is going to have to be big.

Franzen definitely elevating when he's the go to guy. But has anyone noticed how he's played recently? Way more in your face, running his mouth type attitude. Hoping he just feels better and is ready to push

I don't know how Franzen could look SO BAD last night against Colorado, like he'd been drinking entire bottles of Robitussin before going out on the ice, and tonight he had that perfect deft touch and control of a surgeon.

Anyone missing Brunner?

Lol funny you say that. Wasn't everyone crying all summer about losing him? When he was clearly a one dimensional player that really wasn't much value to our team. Especially with players like Nyquist and Tatar coming up. If we had Brunner this year everyone would be crying about him.

Kind of how just two days ago everyone (ss in 99.3% of all Red Wings fans on the Internet) were crying about Legwand and trying to make ridiculous claims that hes only a number 3 center? Jarnkrok who has never been in his entire career a top six type forward. Never in any league has he been a point per game type guy. This guy was a really good 3rd line center type prospect and that is it. Get real people. Legwand is going to sign in Detroit if we offer him a contract which we will likely do everything possible to make happen. What a great trade for our team. What a great hockey player and the perfect player that this team needed.

If the Wings are healthy come playoffs, we will be a team nobody wants to see.

Lol funny you say that. Wasn't everyone crying all summer about losing him? When he was clearly a one dimensional player that really wasn't much value to our team. Especially with players like Nyquist and Tatar coming up. If we had Brunner this year everyone would be crying about him.

Kind of how just two days ago everyone (ss in 99.3% of all Red Wings fans on the Internet) were crying about Legwand and trying to make ridiculous claims that hes only a number 3 center? Jarnkrok who has never been in his entire career a top six type forward. Never in any league has he been a point per game type guy. This guy was a really good 3rd line center type prospect and that is it. Get real people. Legwand is going to sign in Detroit if we offer him a contract which we will likely do everything possible to make happen. What a great trade for our team. What a great hockey player and the perfect player that this team needed.

Well said. We traded potential for established. We were in dire need of a center, and the trade had to happen. I'm very glad it did. Legwand is a great fit here. If that first line can keep it up until others get healthy, there is no doubt in my mind we make the playoffs. Hell, I still expect the team to finish 3rd in the division. BELIEVE

I don't know how Franzen could look SO BAD last night against Colorado, like he'd been drinking entire bottles of Robitussin before going out on the ice, and tonight he had that perfect deft touch and control of a surgeon.

He's lazy! duhhhhhhhhhhhh

And nights like last night and especially tonight make me feel better about standing pat in saying that I think the Wings are still going to make the playoffs, despite everything that's gone on this season, especially the last couple months. I still think the team has been poorly managed; I think Holland's done a terrible job in the offseason by signing guys we don't need and not strengthening the D which is where we really need guys. I'm still really worried about the future if he doesn't change his ways. But so long as Dats and Z are around and playing pretty well (hopefully the next 2-3 years past this one), I think we're still a consistent playoff team and a potential contender, albeit a dark horse one.

Hopefully watching some of these kids play the last couple seasons and seeing how much money he's throwing away on guys that aren't even playing, he'll change the way he does things. Let these kids play and while their contracts are cheap, find better high-mid talent to supplement them, especially on D. Stop blowing money on Samuellsons and Clearys and Tootoos. Three guys that aren't playing or contributing and we might as well overpay for someone who will! Holland's strengths in the market are finding cheap guys that bring a tremendous amount of value; guys like Miller and Eaves. With the cap going up and the lack of mid-level let alone high-level talent on D, he's got to strengthen that area this summer, via free agency or trade, and continue to work at it through the season. The following two summers and seasons, you've got to find at least one top-end forward to bring in to help transition this team when Dats and Z stop having a major impact and/or retire. With the cap going up, the majority of his signings mid-level signings blowing up in his face, the kids playing well, and the concerns about Z's back plus Dats career winding down, he's got to change his strategy moving forward.

While the kids are definitely more NHL-ready than the Wings typically seem to think, we realistically can't expect all of them to continue to play at a higher level moving forward, hence the need to consolidate some spending on impact players as opposed to again mid-level guys that almost always make too much and cost too much, if they even play. Having more impact guys around will make the young guys better and smooth out the learning curves as well. After all, we've seen too many examples of young guys come up from Grand Rapids, play great when they're filling holes and running on the excitement of playing in the NHL, and then when they go on to make the team out of camp, they struggle once they're a regular-regular. I'm optimistic about a lot of our guys and I think Tatar and Nyquist are legit talent that'll only get better, but everyone else is a wildcard next season. Some will be better, some will be worse, but all would benefit from upper-mid to high-end player to carry some of the load and lead as opposed to three guys making way more than they are to do nothing.

I believe in the core of this team now, and I want to see the core maintained moving forward. Keep a strong core, keep the kids flowing in maybe a bit sooner than you used to, supplement the core with better players, and fill out the roster with those $1-1.5 million gems that can play important roles better than most $2.5-3 million mid-level guys seem able to. I don't think it's a difficult concept, and it's only going to be easier with the cap going up. I love this team, I love having a chance to make a run at the Cup, and I love winning as much as possible. There's just no reason it can't continue if we just get better at putting money in the right places.

If the Griffins pull this off and make the playoffs for the 23rd straight season that 3 minutes 15 seconds in the second period were it went from 2-3 to 5-3 will be the catalyst.

They're going to pull it off.

Franzen definitely elevating when he's the go to guy. But has anyone noticed how he's played recently? Way more in your face, running his mouth type attitude. Hoping he just feels better and is ready to push

I'm wondering if he didn't do some introspection or if someone didn't sit down and have a serious talk with him about his effort and it's relation to his output. When the guy is in go-mode, he really is a scoring force. But far too often he just stops working hard. You can see it in his face. He's just not tenacious far too often, like he's bored and drowsy. And then he seems apathetic about it. But at more times than we've seen the last few seasons, he seems to look a little hungrier this year. He's really looked strong lately. There's no reason he can't keep it up when Dats and Z are back. He's done it before, but he's gotta play hungry, every game, every shift.

Gosh if we had ONE more solid dman this team is cup worthy. Our depth at offense is flat out scary. We can beat anyone in the east 100% healthy.

I think we still can if we get healthy and get hot at the right time. Other than a few blunders in the last 3 games, the team has been playing real solid for the last 10 games or so. Getting Dats, Weiss and Helm back will also help a lot on the whole preventing us from getting scored on deal. The key IMO is finishing 2nd or 3rd in our division to avoid a first round match up with Boston or the Pens. If that happens, I think they can stay alive long enough to get Hank back.

Jarnkrok was arguably our best prospect. People all around the hockey world weren't praising him to make Red Wings fans feel good. He's an elite young talent, and it's a big blow to lose him. That and the fact that we needed Legwand don't have to be mutually exclusive. We don't have to act like Jarnkrok's an overrated scrub who ANYONE WITH EYES could see was never a high-end player and was never going to be one. That's lame.

Along the same lines... it's easy to say now that we didn't in fact need Brunner at all and that OBVIOUSLY he was just a one-dimensional player who was gonna crash and burn blah blah blah. But, truth is, there's nothing to say he wouldn't have been a good player for us this season. Look at all the surprises we've had.

I guess I'm being a wet blanket. Apologies. I just feel like if we're gonna play the HA! EVERYONE WAS CRYING ABOUT IT BUT THE TRULY WISE AMONG US KNEW BETTER game, well, how many of us knew Sheahan would be playing and producing like a legitimate second-line pivot this season? How many of us knew Gustavsson would be the better goalie?