• Please log in to reply
546 replies to this topic

#521 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

Everyone and his mom has a good feeling about Callahan. I'm not seeing it.

Glendening's no Datsyuk, but he's not supposed to be. His job is to shut down other players, kill penalties, agitate, win faceoffs, work hard, be physical. He's not the top-sixer Babcock is asking him to be.

I don't expect him to be a datsyuk but when you think back to those yrs we won the cup our 4th liners chipped in key goals .... We need them to chip in at times (Daren McCarthy cup winner vs flyers) Joey kocur key goals ..... Glendening can't shoot to save his life

If he plays 3 yrs and gets 2 goals he's expendable .... Need more than penalty killing and physicality ... Our top 2 lines produce squat in a playoff round we need botto, 6 to chip in with key goals

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 08 March 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#522 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Howard gives up 3 last night, one of which was a terrible unlucky bounce and another a complete defensive breakdown, and gets crucified by the fans after the game. The next night Gus gives up 4 and looks shakier than Howard yet the offense bails him out with 7 goals and not a peep about his less than stellar game. More proof that Wings fans will never be happy with a goaltender and will always be wanting "the next one" instead of the current one.

It's never pretty with Gus, but all he does is get points. 15-4-3. He has more wins then Howard in 13 fewer games. Howard just hasn't been good enough this season, and it is imperative that he get going because we need him to get into the playoffs. Gus is gonna win, that's the given this season, but Babs will never hand the net to him. Howard is our guy, he needs to get wins. No excuses. They both play behind the same defense.

#NOMOREKINDL

#523 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

Stripping Howard of the net would be bad for his confidence, and we've invested in him long term. He's gotta know Babs still believes in him while trying to end this slump

#524 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Are we basing this off one game ? Howard has sucked almost all year, Gus has won us some big games.

Nope. Ill be the first to say that Jimmy needs to pick up his game. What Im trying to point out is outside of the first two months Monster hasnt really been that much better. Hes getting more goal support thus hiding that fact. 

Well Howard lets in bouncy crap goals last game while the 3/4 of the goals monster let in were pretty much perfect shots.

Ya its really hard to say all of those were perfect shots. When someone uses that same excuse for Howard its turned into "well he needs to come up with a big save for the team on one of those" yet the same is not true for Monster? 

I will say, though: the Howard-never-makes-the-big-save argument is pretty weak. I feel like every game Howard plays there's at least one major stop that has everyone here saying, "Now that's the Howard we know!" There was definitely at least one of those in the Avs game. And then everyone turned right around and said, "He never makes the big stop!" Seriously?

Doesn't matter, though. Winning matters, and, for whatever reasons, we win with Gustavsson in net. That's mostly down to us scoring more when he's in net, but, hey, when deciding which goalie you want to ride, every consideration should be fair game. Of course, that's not how it works. Howard is getting paid an ass-ton to be a top goalie in this league and carry us to a Cup, so he's gonna get every opportunity to get back on the horse and regain the form which has mostly eluded him this season.

I agree it is a weak argument. Driving home from the Avs game all you heard on the radio was fans calling in saying Howard doesnt make the big save. Yet in OT Howard made an amazing save on the PK right before the Avs got the penalty. Then the defense completely breaks down and lets in an easy back door tap in and its all Howards fault. I agree the Wings need wins and Gus is getting them so we really should ride the hot hand for a couple games to see how it goes but people thinking Gus will be the savior that leads this team deep are delusional as the Wings wont be getting 7 a game in the playoffs but with how hes been playing Monster is likely to give up 4. It would be interesting to see Monster named the starter and how long it will take for those calling for him to be to turn on him. Id give it 2-3 weeks max.

Edited by GoalieManPat, 08 March 2014 - 12:24 PM.

#525 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

I think it was Dabura who mentioned that the Wings seem to score more when Gus is in net, and that inspired me to do some research and look up the actual data.

When Gustavsson is in net, the Wings score an average of 3.32 goals per game.

When Howard is in net, the Wings score an average of 2.43 goals per game.

They both have a save percentage of .912, but Gus has a lower GAA at 2.54 compared to Jimmy's 2.64.

I got the numbers from yahoo sports.  Its also worth noting that there is some overlap, because I didn't do anything special to calculate exact numbers for games when one goalie is pulled in favor of the other.  I just counted the goals for both goalies for those games.  Anyway, that's almost a whole goal per game difference between the two.

I'm not trying to deflect the blame away from Howard (or maybe I am a bit), because he is ultimately responsible for helping this team win, but we have noticed the team plays differently depending on who is in goal, and the numbers support that claim.

#526 Mckinley25

Mckinley25

4th Line Grinder

• Bronze Booster
  • 257 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

I think it was Dabura who mentioned that the Wings seem to score more when Gus is in net, and that inspired me to do some research and look up the actual data.
When Gustavsson is in net, the Wings score an average of 3.32 goals per game.
When Howard is in net, the Wings score an average of 2.43 goals per game.
They both have a save percentage of .912, but Gus has a lower GAA at 2.54 compared to Jimmy's 2.64.

I got the numbers from yahoo sports.  Its also worth noting that there is some overlap, because I didn't do anything special to calculate exact numbers for games when one goalie is pulled in favor of the other.  I just counted the goals for both goalies for those games.  Anyway, that's almost a whole goal per game difference between the two.

I'm not trying to deflect the blame away from Howard (or maybe I am a bit), because he is ultimately responsible for helping this team win, but we have noticed the team plays differently depending on who is in goal, and the numbers support that claim.

Mickey often talks about how players feel the need to play harder in front of their backup and feel like starter will bail them out.

#527 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

Gustavsson should be the starter as long as the team keeps scoring more and he keeps winning.  Never mind the reasons why they don't score for Howard.  

Don't mess with a winning formula.  Especially since this team has no other winning formula to hang its hat on.  

Edited by GMRwings1983, 08 March 2014 - 01:05 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#528 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,863 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

Mickey often talks about how players feel the need to play harder in front of their backup and feel like starter will bail them out.

I agree with this.  I don't agree with Jimmy not making any big saves while Gustavsson stands on his head to deliver victories.

#529 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

Gustavsson gave up 4 goals and was lucky to get the start against a weaker team that gave up 7, and has given up 4 or more in 5 of his last 10 starts.  Howard has generally payed against the better teams and has given up 4 or more in 2 of his last 10 starts.  I think part of it is the lesser competiton, part of it is that the team feels more pressure to play tighter with the backup.  Granted, Howard needs to be better, but I don't think that starting Gustavsson is the answer.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#530 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:45 PM

If Gustavsson is now played game after game, the clock will start ticking towards the inevitable reoccurrence of his legendary groin muscle pull.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#531 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

If Gustavsson is now played game after game, the clock will start ticking towards the inevitable reoccurrence of his legendary groin muscle pull.

@HeleneStJames: #RedWings calling up G Petr Mrazek to back up Jimmy Howard Sunday at #NYRangers because Jonas Gustsvsson has sore groin.

:lol:

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#532 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

It. wasn't. me.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#533 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

are you actually f***ing kidding me with that groin ****? Wow, just wow

#534 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

It. wasn't. me.

Please don't mention potential injuries for anyone else on the team.   :no:

#535 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Sooooo got any lottery numbers for me?

#536 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

I'd put Petr in tomorrow.

#537 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

vD1xack.png

#538 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,093 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

It's never pretty with Gus, but all he does is get points. 15-4-3. He has more wins then Howard in 13 fewer games. Howard just hasn't been good enough this season, and it is imperative that he get going because we need him to get into the playoffs. Gus is gonna win, that's the given this season, but Babs will never hand the net to him. Howard is our guy, he needs to get wins. No excuses. They both play behind the same defense.

no they don't Gus plays behind dr. jeckyl, while howard is dealing with mr. hyde

#539 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

Well whatever the reason fact is still that Howard isn't winning games for us.

#540 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

Detroit needs to sign Tim Thomas this summer to bump Average Jimmy out of his job.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com