• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
MabusIncarnate

3/7 GDT: Devils 4 at Red Wings 7

Rate this topic

I think it was Dabura who mentioned that the Wings seem to score more when Gus is in net, and that inspired me to do some research and look up the actual data.

When Gustavsson is in net, the Wings score an average of 3.32 goals per game.

When Howard is in net, the Wings score an average of 2.43 goals per game.

They both have a save percentage of .912, but Gus has a lower GAA at 2.54 compared to Jimmy's 2.64.

I got the numbers from yahoo sports. Its also worth noting that there is some overlap, because I didn't do anything special to calculate exact numbers for games when one goalie is pulled in favor of the other. I just counted the goals for both goalies for those games. Anyway, that's almost a whole goal per game difference between the two.

I'm not trying to deflect the blame away from Howard (or maybe I am a bit), because he is ultimately responsible for helping this team win, but we have noticed the team plays differently depending on who is in goal, and the numbers support that claim.

Mickey often talks about how players feel the need to play harder in front of their backup and feel like starter will bail them out.

Gustavsson should be the starter as long as the team keeps scoring more and he keeps winning. Never mind the reasons why they don't score for Howard.

Don't mess with a winning formula. Especially since this team has no other winning formula to hang its hat on.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Gustavsson gave up 4 goals and was lucky to get the start against a weaker team that gave up 7, and has given up 4 or more in 5 of his last 10 starts. Howard has generally payed against the better teams and has given up 4 or more in 2 of his last 10 starts. I think part of it is the lesser competiton, part of it is that the team feels more pressure to play tighter with the backup. Granted, Howard needs to be better, but I don't think that starting Gustavsson is the answer.

If Gustavsson is now played game after game, the clock will start ticking towards the inevitable reoccurrence of his legendary groin muscle pull.

@HeleneStJames: #RedWings calling up G Petr Mrazek to back up Jimmy Howard Sunday at #NYRangers because Jonas Gustsvsson has sore groin.

:lol:

It's never pretty with Gus, but all he does is get points. 15-4-3. He has more wins then Howard in 13 fewer games. Howard just hasn't been good enough this season, and it is imperative that he get going because we need him to get into the playoffs. Gus is gonna win, that's the given this season, but Babs will never hand the net to him. Howard is our guy, he needs to get wins. No excuses. They both play behind the same defense.

no they don't Gus plays behind dr. jeckyl, while howard is dealing with mr. hyde

We play better in front of Gustavsson. We win with him in net. Given how valuable every point now is, favoring Gustavsson would make a lot of sense. It doesn't have to be a goalie controversy. It's just about making the playoffs right now. Whatever gets the job done.

But, wonder of wonders, Gustavsson pulled his groin. And, honestly, it wasn't like Babs was gonna ride him anyway. So whatever. Mo Money Mo Starts.

On a side note: Gustavsson will probably be looking for a raise this summer. I wonder if that factors in at all.

Except Thomas wouldn't because he isn't better than Jimmy.

we can agree to disagree on that one. Jimmy isn't good. He is slightly above average at best. He has poor rebound control and rarely makes the big save when they need it yet gives up a bad when they need it least. He doesn't suck, but he is Osgood 2.0.

we can agree to disagree on that one. Jimmy isn't good. He is slightly above average at best. He has poor rebound control and rarely makes the big save when they need it yet gives up a bad when they need it least. He doesn't suck, but he is Osgood 2.0.

Above average is good. It goes elite, great good average Rick dipietro

Howard's undoubtedly better goalie,but Babs decision not to pull Gustavsson last night after 3 quick goals was weird.

What do you think?

Since it was the second game of a back-to-back I think Howard most likely had the night off no matter what.

Unfortunately, Howard doesn't have the team Osgood had in front of him.