• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Weiss - who would take him next season and does he have a full NTC

Rate this topic

Yes I realize he probably won't get traded ... Although my personal opinion is he should be if we could find a taker as I'd rather have legwand .... Does he have a full no trade clause?? And who would take him?

Islanders - no one wants to go there it seems and having him locked up for 4 more years might make snow take a chance to put him with Tavares .... And it is Garth snow afterall

Nashville - we just traded with them so maybe we can work out another deal?nashville also struggles to attract ufa's and they have trouble scoring so I think they could be interested

Toronto - probably won't happen as we're in the same division but weiss is a toronto kid and they got bozak as there number 1 so they might be interested

New Jersey - they got trouble producing goals as well and jagr Elias Ryder getting up in age

Phoenix - think weiss might be a good fit there with no pressure

What teams you guys think "might" be interested in weiss if we actually decided to part ways (again don't think it'll happen although we should especially if legwand returns)

This is Kenny "NTC" Holland we're talking about here. Practically everyone on the Wings has one (except of course the captain).

Weiss has a No Move Clause, and a modified NTC according to capgeek.com, but I don't know what the specifics of the NTC are.

Ya if anyone knows the exact specifics please post it ... Ya I don't understand this ntc's that holland throws away like it's nobody's business , even Samuelson has one right? Makes no sense

At least make it that they have to give you a list of teams they'd accept or not accept going to

We couldn't give him away right now if we tried. I'm not sure why people think he can still be that number 2c here. He was given plenty of time to adjust and I rarely saw a decent play out pf him. I Get that he may have been still injured but even so we should have seen at least a bit of something. Unless we have some free cap space next season I say we buy em out . If legwand performs decently and resigns then there is no point in wasting any more time on em. Hope I'm wrong but.

Ya if anyone knows the exact specifics please post it ... Ya I don't understand this ntc's that holland throws away like it's nobody's business , even Samuelson has one right? Makes no sense

At least make it that they have to give you a list of teams they'd accept or not accept going to

I think that's usually what a modified NTC is, supplying a limited list of teams you'd go to. But like I said, not sure about Weiss specifically.

Guest Playmaker

It isn't a Holland thing. It's fairly common practice for most contracts anymore, especially with UFA's. I really can't see a scenario right now where anyone would take his contract considering the fact he's been out most of the last two seasons with serious injuries. I think that is more of a problem than the NTC is. As we just witnessed, players with NTC's get moved all the time (Legwand, MSL). I'm sure if he thought he wasn't going to play in Detroit, he'd waive his NTC. The injuries and contract are more of a hindrance to trading him.

Most vets who are even kind of good have some kind of NTC. Look around at other teams on capgeek. "studs" like Handzus, Roszival, Clowe, Zubrus, and Scuderi have them.

When Weiss has been healthy in the past, he's been good. If he was having problems with his wrist, which is what kept him out last year, I'd be a lot more worried about his long term future than I am now with it being his groin. Sometimes it takes a long time for them to heal for a hockey player since thsoe muscles are stressed so much.

If a hockey player has a bad groin, he can't skate. If a hockey player can't skate, he can't do a whole lot of positive things. In hindsight they should have shut him down for the first 8 weeks or so of the season when he hurt it in camp, but c'est la vie.

Vancouver will be moving Kesler next summer, and will definitely need a center in return. Weiss in a pkge w/ Andy, and whatever, gives them a solid 2c.

Personally, I've seen Kesler score a load of goals on the Sedin line at wing, so I'd go something like

Kesler Datsyuk Nyquist

Zetterberg Legwand Franzen

Tatar Sheahan Jurco

Miller Helm Abby

Glendening/Alfie

Pulkkinen will get plenty of windshield time driving in from GR filling in for injurious bastards.

Until he's 100% healthy, and continues to struggle, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. He was a damn good hockey player for Florida for years, if he can ever get healthy I believe he will be again. As far as a possible trade, I remember it was us and St Louis were his final 2 teams. They've made alot of moves since the summer so I doubt they'd have any interest, no one else really stands out.

We couldn't give him away right now if we tried. I'm not sure why people think he can still be that number 2c here. He was given plenty of time to adjust and I rarely saw a decent play out pf him. I Get that he may have been still injured but even so we should have seen at least a bit of something. Unless we have some free cap space next season I say we buy em out . If legwand performs decently and resigns then there is no point in wasting any more time on em. Hope I'm wrong but.

Two months is plenty of time to adjust while hampered by injuries? lol Guess uve never played hockey before.

Thankfully Holland isnt as shortsighted as some fans.

Why is everyone so low on Weiss? He was hurt since training camp and wasn't 100% when he did play this season. At least give the guy a chance to show us what he can do. People act like he is a piece of trash off the streets.

Exactly. And when he was playing, it's not like he was a liability out there, he was mostly just invisible. Playing it too safe, and we obviously now know why. Even while playing hurt, he would occasionally show flashes of what he could be. Not often, mind you. But it was there. Blows my mind how people focus on his time playing through injuries for a few months over the 10 years of his career before that.

Also, some people just don't understand the cap era, and won't be happy unless we can ice a roster of future hall of famers.

Edited by marcaractac

Why is everyone so low on Weiss? He was hurt since training camp and wasn't 100% when he did play this season. At least give the guy a chance to show us what he can do. People act like he is a piece of trash off the streets.

I think everyone is low on Weiss for a combination of reasons. As I mentioned before, he is overpaid (4th highest salary on our roster! wtf..) and didn't perform (sure, might've been injured even while playing). Since he didn't play at all last season and might not be able to play again this season, that contract is just insane. Sure, you can't blame the player for some manager stupid enough to offer him that much money, but you don't have to like that player either, from a fan perspective. ;)

Two months is plenty of time to adjust while hampered by injuries? lol Guess uve never played hockey before.

I agree, don't judge a player and write him off after 26 games and struggling with a hernia. 4 points in 26 games is not Stephen Weiss. I promise.

Trying to move him right now would make no sense whatsoever, we get a 5th pick for him and suddenly he's healthy and puts up a 60 point season elsewhere, we gave up and asset for next to nothing.

I'm not prepared to write off Weiss already, that's being reasonably unfair considering what he is capable of. Anyone who watched him play a lot before this season knows he is a capable scoring forward and can provide offense for this team over whoever we would start in his place like Andersson or Glendening.

Weiss is an above average, skilled player and the Wings management didn't toss that kind of money at him because he's worthless. Give him a chance.

Exactly. And when he was playing, it's not like he was a liability out there, he was mostly just invisible. Playing it too safe, and we obviously now know why. Even while playing hurt, he would occasionally show flashes of what he could be. Not often, mind you. But it was there. Blows my mind how people focus on his time playing through injuries for a few months over the 10 years of his career before that.

Also, some people just don't understand the cap era, and won't be happy unless we can ice a roster of future hall of famers.

Yes we all want rosters full of hall of famers ... I always thought he was overrated from day 1 .... His play so far hasn't helped and no I don't think he will get traded but I'm just asking ... And is it official news out there that he was hurt when the season started? I know he was hurt last year but If he was hurt surely he wouldn't be playing at the start of the season

I know NTC's are becoming a lot more common, but I think the Wings have the most players with NTC's of any team in the league, maybe tied with Boston. The backup goalie has a NTC for chrissakes. And I realize a couple big name players have waved them recently, but it still makes it more difficult to move them and weakens the GM's bargaining position.

As for Weiss, he was a non-factor when he was healthy and now his injury situation has gotten ridiculous. He can still be a good player for the Wings eventually, but fans are understandably frustrated.

Probably because he reminds us of Samuelsson. Injured most of the time, and when he's not injured, he's terrible out there.

Dude that's low. Comparing people to Samuelson....come on your better than that lol.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

Didn't perform as everyone expected,yes.Overpaid,no.That's the price you pay for a 2C,see Filppula or Legwand.A couple of 100K north or south,that's it.

Overpaid, yes. For one simple reason: being injured a full season before the signing. If this was European soccer, where a team like Manchester City last season (or still, dunno) had 10-12 wingers on the roster for just 2 LW/RW midfielder spots, because there is no salary cap and their billionaire owner doesn't give a f*** about paying 40M for 10-12 guys with 2 on the field, 2 on the bench and the rest scratched....yeah, then you could hand out that contract. In US salary cap systems, mangement should never ever hand out a contract like that to a player who missed the full season before. Never. Sure you can offer him 6M/2years - if he takes it, fine, if not, you look for someone else (or better just re-sign Filppula). The risk of blocking a large chunk of your cap for many years is just to high.

I know NTC's are becoming a lot more common, but I think the Wings have the most players with NTC's of any team in the league, maybe tied with Boston. The backup goalie has a NTC for chrissakes. And I realize a couple big name players have waved them recently, but it still makes it more difficult to move them and weakens the GM's bargaining position.

As for Weiss, he was a non-factor when he was healthy and now his injury situation has gotten ridiculous. He can still be a good player for the Wings eventually, but fans are understandably frustrated.

The Wings are tied with Dallas for the most NM/NTC's in the league with 11 but 6 of the Wings are coming off the books after this season.

That will put the wings below the league average.

The majority of all UFA's signing will get at least a modified NTC clause from now on. Players want more control over where they play. As long as we only hand them out on short deals I've got no problems with them.