• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
nyqvististhefuture

Weiss - who would take him next season and does he have a full NTC

Rate this topic

Can't trade him unless he comes back and shows he can play, at which point we might not want to trade him. But time is REALLY running out for him. And with a setback in his recovery one has to wonder if he can really come back and be 100% healthy and contribute right away instead of needing 10 games to get up to speed.

With Legwand we see a player come in and be effective right away. No excuses needed about not being familiar in the system. This makes me think Weiss is either just not the same player he was, or a completely wrong fit for our team. Could be a rough contract to get rid of.

Weiss hasn't adapted to the Wings system yet. Holland made a bet that he could, and it hasn't worked out yet.

The guy needs some hands-on, one-on-one coaching to transition from the "bad habits" he learned all the years in Florida, but Babs doesn't seem like the type to offer that.

I can see a trade in the middle of next season if nothing changes.

Edited by evilmrt

Vancouver will be moving Kesler next summer, and will definitely need a center in return. Weiss in a pkge w/ Andy, and whatever, gives them a solid 2c.

Personally, I've seen Kesler score a load of goals on the Sedin line at wing, so I'd go something like

Kesler Datsyuk Nyquist

Zetterberg Legwand Franzen

Tatar Sheahan Jurco

Miller Helm Abby

Glendening/Alfie

Pulkkinen will get plenty of windshield time driving in from GR filling in for injurious bastards.

After viewing recent developments, maybe I'd go with

Kesler Datsyuk Zetterberg

Nyquist Legwand Franzen

Tatar Sheahan Jurco

Miller Helm Abby

I know NTC's are becoming a lot more common, but I think the Wings have the most players with NTC's of any team in the league, maybe tied with Boston. The backup goalie has a NTC for chrissakes. And I realize a couple big name players have waved them recently, but it still makes it more difficult to move them and weakens the GM's bargaining position.

As for Weiss, he was a non-factor when he was healthy and now his injury situation has gotten ridiculous. He can still be a good player for the Wings eventually, but fans are understandably frustrated.

He never was healthy except for maybe 2 weeks shortly before he was shut down. Before that he was trying to play through it, which in hindsight was a big mistake.

As far as his salary goes, it's in line with what other players with his history sign for. Comparing it just to the Wings players is ignoring a lot of other factors like Franzen lowering his cap number with the extra long deal, kids on their first or second contract, and the fact that Kronwall is on a bargain contract.

Why is everyone so low on Weiss? He was hurt since training camp and wasn't 100% when he did play this season. At least give the guy a chance to show us what he can do. People act like he is a piece of trash off the streets.

Oh don't worry. Apparently Jarnkrok is better then him as well even though he hasn't played a game in the NHL....

After viewing recent developments, maybe I'd go with

Kesler Datsyuk Zetterberg

Nyquist Legwand Franzen

Tatar Sheahan Jurco

Miller Helm Abby

Except we wouldn't have Nyquist or Tatar, and probably Mantha if we acquired Kesler. He is not worth the price.

We do have a buyout left to use this summer. Weiss? Franzen? Or waste it on TooToo?

Tootoo. They're not going to buy out Franzen and they said that last year. Especially not now after he's actually been good this year. Weiss was signed post lockout so we can't use a compliance buyout on him. Tootoo is the best option.

We do have a buyout left to use this summer. Weiss? Franzen? Or waste it on TooToo?

I would venture that it won't be used. The only person it would make the most sense to is Mule, and the way he is playing right now you could argue he is underpaid. W

Weiss isn't eligible for the compliance since he was signed AFTER the lockout.

And Toots and the rest of the misfits' contracts are all up this summer.

EDIT: Never mind, i forgot that Kenny signed him for, umm, 3 years.

Edited by unsaddleddonald

Guest Playmaker

Not 100% sure on this, but I don't think the buyout can be used on Weiss because he signed after the new CBA. If it could be, I'd have no problem using it on him. I think Legwand gives us everything he does and can be had for much less and a shorter term. While I'd like Tootoo to get his freedom to be able to sign somewhere else and get a shot, I don't think his contract is big enough to use that last buyout on. Franzen? Are you crazy?

So no one knows the specifics of Weiss' contract? Is it full NTC or limited, what options do we have? Because once healthy Holland has some serious decisions to make with our centers because we'll have way too many:

Hank

Legwand

Weiss

Helm

Andersson

Glendening

Sheahan

*Datsyuk (let's assume he's Hanks wing)

so we have 3 too many centers. I would say try to move Weiss, Helm (always injured) and either Glendening (no points) or Andersson

A healthy lineup looks something like this:

Abdelkader/Zetterberg/Datsyuk
Nyqvist/Legwand/Franzen
Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco
?/Weiss/Alfredsson

? = Miller / Glendening

Edited by LAWings

Guest Playmaker

I'll tell you of a guy who went from a Maurice Richard winning 50 goal season to Croatia....

cheechoo-feature-storyzoom.jpg

This. Players play well and suddenly "lose it" for whatever reason. Jimmy Carson comes to mind for the Wings. He had like 3 50 goal seasons in his early 20's, the Wings got him in his "prime" and couldn't do anything after that. It happens.

Weiss has been consistently good for several year, not just one or two. Is it possible that he never gets back? Sure. But it's way too early to write him off.

Weiss can NOT be bought out. They closed that loophole quickly when they realized that a team could sign a guy to a 5 year $10 mil contract with the intent of him only playing for the one year, giving him a big payday and the team a good player for a small cap hit. I expect Tootoo to be bought out. I don't think Franzen will be, simply because there are only a handful of players who could replace his production available, and they would cost significantly more than him for slightly better production at best. If he is bought out, it will be because of that ridiculous recapture penalty, but I have a feeling Detroit will take a chance on that biting them later for production now.

I'm in the camp of "let's wait until the guy is healthy for a while before we declare him a bust." I know the seemingly endless injuries have been aggravating, and when he did play he didn't show much, but I just don't think we should assume he's done on the basis of 26 games played at mostly well below full health.

Weiss has been consistently good for several year, not just one or two. Is it possible that he never gets back? Sure. But it's way too early to write him off.

Weiss can NOT be bought out. They closed that loophole quickly when they realized that a team could sign a guy to a 5 year $10 mil contract with the intent of him only playing for the one year, giving him a big payday and the team a good player for a small cap hit. I expect Tootoo to be bought out. I don't think Franzen will be, simply because there are only a handful of players who could replace his production available, and they would cost significantly more than him for slightly better production at best. If he is bought out, it will be because of that ridiculous recapture penalty, but I have a feeling Detroit will take a chance on that biting them later for production now.

We can still use a regular buyout on Weiss. It would be the worst case scenario as we would be given a cap penalty for the remainder of his deal, but if the cap goes up by a lot and we have plenty of room it could be a way out if Weiss completely sucks. I certainly agree it's too early to give up on him though.

I know NTC's are becoming a lot more common, but I think the Wings have the most players with NTC's of any team in the league, maybe tied with Boston. The backup goalie has a NTC for chrissakes. And I realize a couple big name players have waved them recently, but it still makes it more difficult to move them and weakens the GM's bargaining position.

As for Weiss, he was a non-factor when he was healthy and now his injury situation has gotten ridiculous. He can still be a good player for the Wings eventually, but fans are understandably frustrated.

Dallas Boston and Detroit all have 11 ntc's. A few teams with 8 or 9 but we are tied with Dallas and Boston for the most.

Legwand is competing with Weiss for the 2C spot in the lineup, and off to a damn impressive start. Holland won't keep both of them.

Hollands options are to resign Legwand, who by then will be much more of a known quantity than Weiss, and ask Weiss for a list of teams he'd like to go to, or let Legwand walk and hope Weiss starts producing.

If I'm KH, (as it looks like at this point in time) I'm resigning Leggy, and selling everyone else in the league on Weiss' same strengths mentioned in this thread for a trade package for a big winger for Pavel.

Use the cap increase to acquire a top pairing Dman and Bob's your uncle, we're major contenders.

Edited by T.Low

Legwand is competing with Weiss for the 2C spot in the lineup, and off to a damn impressive start. Holland won't keep both of them.

Hollands options are to resign Legwand, who by then will be much more of a known quantity than Weiss, and ask Weiss for a list of teams he'd like to go to, or let Legwand walk and hope Weiss starts producing.

If I'm KH, (as it looks like at this point in time) I'm resigning Leggy, and selling everyone else in the league on Weiss' same strengths mentioned in this thread for a trade package for a big winger for Pavel.

Use the cap increase to acquire a top pairing Dman and Bob's your uncle, we're major contenders.

Again, why is it one or the other?

Why is everyone so low on Weiss? He was hurt since training camp and wasn't 100% when he did play this season. At least give the guy a chance to show us what he can do. People act like he is a piece of trash off the streets.

A lot of the complaining about Weiss comes from the same people who are still complaining about Jarnkrok. It's ironic. They want to wait years for prospects and are supposedly invested in the future of the team, but they won't wait for a proven vet to get healthy.

Again, why is it one or the other?

Too much of the pie tied up in a 3c for too little ROI. Would see diminishing returns on that money, so

we'd keep a younger faster cheaper Sheahan and Helm in the 3-4 spots, use the money savings to bolster D and Pavs wing.

I would venture that it won't be used. The only person it would make the most sense to is Mule, and the way he is playing right now you could argue he is underpaid. W

Weiss isn't eligible for the compliance since he was signed AFTER the lockout.

And Toots and the rest of the misfits' contracts are all up this summer.

EDIT: Never mind, i forgot that Kenny signed him for, umm, 3 years.

can nashville,have tootoo back,please.We will give y'all anybody,but weber,rinne,josi,