• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#21 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:24 PM

His value is so low, the return would be minimal. I would rather see Weiss get healthy and contribute like he has before in his career. I think he deserves more of a chance here until the contract is declared an overwhelming failure.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#22 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Probably because he reminds us of Samuelsson.  Injured most of the time, and when he's not injured, he's terrible out there.

Dude that's low. Comparing people to Samuelson....come on your better than that lol.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke, 07 March 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#23 The Datsyukian Deke

The Datsyukian Deke

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

Didn't perform as everyone expected,yes.Overpaid,no.That's the price you pay for a 2C,see Filppula or Legwand.A couple of 100K north or south,that's it.

Overpaid, yes. For one simple reason: being injured a full season before the signing. If this was European soccer, where a team like Manchester City last season (or still, dunno) had 10-12 wingers on the roster for just 2 LW/RW midfielder spots, because there is no salary cap and their billionaire owner doesn't give a f*** about paying 40M for 10-12 guys with 2 on the field, 2 on the bench and the rest scratched....yeah, then you could hand out that contract. In US salary cap systems, mangement should never ever hand out a contract like that to a player who missed the full season before. Never. Sure you can offer him 6M/2years - if he takes it, fine, if not, you look for someone else (or better just re-sign Filppula). The risk of blocking a large chunk of your cap for many years is just to high.

Lidstrom: "Retiring today allows me to walk away from the game with pride, rather than have the game walk away from me."

#24 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

I know NTC's are becoming a lot more common, but I think the Wings have the most players with NTC's of any team in the league, maybe tied with Boston.  The backup goalie has a NTC for chrissakes.  And I realize a couple big name players have waved them recently, but it still makes it more difficult to move them and weakens the GM's bargaining position.   

As for Weiss, he was a non-factor when he was healthy and now his injury situation has gotten ridiculous.  He can still be a good player for the Wings eventually, but fans are understandably frustrated.  

The Wings are tied with Dallas for the most NM/NTC's in the league with 11 but 6 of the Wings are coming off the books after this season.

That will put the wings below the league average.

The majority of all UFA's signing will get at least a modified NTC clause from now on. Players want more control over where they play. As long as we only hand them out on short deals I've got no problems with them.

#25 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

I'm sure Weiss hasn't gone from a 60 point player to an AHLer after one trade. He will be effective in some capacity. Impossible to trade anyways

#26 Wings02

Wings02

Thank you dad for not making me a Leafs fan

• 35 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:57 AM

needs to take of that number 90. see: modano 

#27 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:58 AM

needs to take of that number 90. see: modano 

Seriously this! 

#28 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

Can't trade him unless he comes back and shows he can play, at which point we might not want to trade him. But time is REALLY running out for him. And with a setback in his recovery one has to wonder if he can really come back and be 100% healthy and contribute right away instead of needing 10 games to get up to speed. 

With Legwand we see a player come in and be effective right away. No excuses needed about not being familiar in the system. This makes me think Weiss is either just not the same player he was, or a completely wrong fit for our team. Could be a rough contract to get rid of. 

#29 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

Weiss hasn't adapted to the Wings system yet. Holland made a bet that he could, and it hasn't worked out yet. 

The guy needs some hands-on, one-on-one coaching to transition from the "bad habits" he learned all the years in Florida, but Babs doesn't seem like the type to offer that. 

I can see a trade in the middle of next season if nothing changes. 

Edited by evilmrt, 08 March 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#30 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:42 AM

Vancouver will be moving Kesler next summer, and will definitely need a center in return. Weiss in a pkge w/ Andy, and whatever, gives them a solid 2c.
Personally, I've seen Kesler score a load of goals on the Sedin line at wing, so I'd go something like
Kesler Datsyuk Nyquist
Zetterberg Legwand Franzen
Tatar Sheahan Jurco
Miller Helm Abby
Glendening/Alfie
Pulkkinen will get plenty of windshield time driving in from GR filling in for injurious bastards.

After viewing recent developments, maybe I'd go with

Kesler Datsyuk Zetterberg
Nyquist Legwand Franzen
Tatar Sheahan Jurco
Miller Helm Abby

#31 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

I know NTC's are becoming a lot more common, but I think the Wings have the most players with NTC's of any team in the league, maybe tied with Boston.  The backup goalie has a NTC for chrissakes.  And I realize a couple big name players have waved them recently, but it still makes it more difficult to move them and weakens the GM's bargaining position.   

As for Weiss, he was a non-factor when he was healthy and now his injury situation has gotten ridiculous.  He can still be a good player for the Wings eventually, but fans are understandably frustrated.  

He never was healthy except for maybe 2 weeks shortly before he was shut down. Before that he was trying to play through it, which in hindsight was a big mistake.

As far as his salary goes, it's in line with what other players with his history sign for. Comparing it just to the Wings players is ignoring a lot of other factors like Franzen lowering his cap number with the extra long deal, kids on their first or second contract, and the fact that Kronwall is on a bargain contract.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#32 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

Why is everyone so low on Weiss? He was hurt since training camp and wasn't 100% when he did play this season. At least give the guy a chance to show us what he can do. People act like he is a piece of trash off the streets.

Oh don't worry. Apparently Jarnkrok is better then him as well even though he hasn't played a game in the NHL....

After viewing recent developments, maybe I'd go with

Kesler Datsyuk Zetterberg
Nyquist Legwand Franzen
Tatar Sheahan Jurco
Miller Helm Abby

Except we wouldn't have Nyquist or Tatar, and probably Mantha if we acquired Kesler. He is not worth the price.

#33 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

We do have a buyout left to use this summer. Weiss? Franzen? Or waste it on TooToo?

#34 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

I'm sure Weiss hasn't gone from a 60 point player to an AHLer after one trade. He will be effective in some capacity. Impossible to trade anyways

I'll tell you of a guy who went from a Maurice Richard winning 50 goal season to Croatia....

cheechoo-feature-storyzoom.jpg

#35 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

We do have a buyout left to use this summer. Weiss? Franzen? Or waste it on TooToo?

Tootoo. They're not going to buy out Franzen and they said that last year. Especially not now after he's actually been good this year. Weiss was signed post lockout so we can't use a compliance buyout on him. Tootoo is the best option.

#36 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

I would venture that it won't be used. The only person it would make the most sense to is Mule, and the way he is playing right now you could argue he is underpaid. W

Weiss isn't eligible for the compliance since he was signed AFTER the lockout.

And Toots and the rest of the misfits' contracts are all up this summer.

EDIT: Never mind, i forgot that Kenny signed him for, umm, 3 years.

Edited by unsaddleddonald, 08 March 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#37 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

Not 100% sure on this, but I don't think the buyout can be used on Weiss because he signed after the new CBA.  If it could be, I'd have no problem using it on him.  I think Legwand gives us everything he does and can be had for much less and a shorter term.  While I'd like Tootoo to get his freedom to be able to sign somewhere else and get a shot, I don't think his contract is big enough to use that last buyout on.  Franzen?  Are you crazy?  

#38 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

So no one knows the specifics of Weiss' contract?  Is it full NTC or limited, what options do we have?  Because once healthy Holland has some serious decisions to make with our centers because we'll have way too many:

Hank

Legwand

Weiss

Helm

Andersson

Glendening

Sheahan

*Datsyuk (let's assume he's Hanks wing)

so we have 3 too many centers.  I would say try to move Weiss, Helm (always injured) and either Glendening (no points) or Andersson

A healthy lineup looks something like this:

Abdelkader/Zetterberg/Datsyuk
Nyqvist/Legwand/Franzen
Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco
?/Weiss/Alfredsson

? = Miller / Glendening

Edited by LAWings, 08 March 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#39 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

I'll tell you of a guy who went from a Maurice Richard winning 50 goal season to Croatia....

cheechoo-feature-storyzoom.jpg

This.  Players play well and suddenly "lose it" for whatever reason.  Jimmy Carson comes to mind for the Wings.  He had like 3 50 goal seasons in his early 20's, the Wings got him in his "prime" and couldn't do anything after that.  It happens.

#40 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Florida.

They are where bad contracts go.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt