• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NYC Wings Fanatic

Is the Real Brendan Smith Finally Starting the Show Up?

Rate this topic

So, after playing for 17 years in Ottawa and having a good first half of the season Alfie doesn't deserve to play on the first or second lines? Or should Emmerton be on the first line instead of Legwand, since he has been here longer?

I know you watch the games and have seen the embarrassment that our power play has become, how can trying Smith on it make it any worse? He makes dumb plays and takes stupid penalties (although lately the penalties have stopped) but I've never seen him hot dog it on the ice. I'll even take it one step further, how is it that E (who has a decent shot) has not at least been given a chance on the power play. Hasn't he deserved to at least get a look? E had 0 PP time last game.

I'll buy what your selling, but with all the injuries this is the perfect time to give a chance to a kid who the Wings for so high on just a couple years go, and if not Smith at least give E a chance.

Ok, one at a time. Nowhere, at all, did I ever say that Alfie didn't deserve to be in the top six. But in your first post you didn't say top six, you said top line. Also, Neither Alfie or Abby should be on the top line given the fact that Franzen and Nyquist are our two best scoring wingers and they're both healthy. But if we're talking about the whole top six now, its not surprising that Babs has Abby in the top six given that he values defensively responsible guys.

Secondly, I agree our PP is terrible. But given that our powerplay is terrible, and throughout the season Babs has preferred Kindl, Eaves, Samuelsson, and just about everyone else to Smith (or E) on the point, doesn't that tell you something about how good he is there? Or whether the coach feels he's earned a spot? Now, I'm open to the idea that Babs is just being a big ol' bully and trying to hold Smith back, but probably it's just that he either a) doesn't trust him, or b) Smith isn't good on the PP.

Ok, one at a time. Nowhere, at all, did I ever say that Alfie didn't deserve to be in the top six. But in your first post you didn't say top six, you said top line. Also, Neither Alfie or Abby should be on the top line given the fact that Franzen and Nyquist are our two best scoring wingers and they're both healthy. But if we're talking about the whole top six now, its not surprising that Babs has Abby in the top six given that he values defensively responsible guys.

Secondly, I agree our PP is terrible. But given that our powerplay is terrible, and throughout the season Babs has preferred Kindl, Eaves, Samuelsson, and just about everyone else to Smith (or E) on the point, doesn't that tell you something about how good he is there? Or whether the coach feels he's earned a spot? Now, I'm open to the idea that Babs is just being a big ol' bully and trying to hold Smith back, but probably it's just that he either a) doesn't trust him, or b) Smith isn't good on the PP.

Hey, look at that we agree on something for a change. Babs doesn't trust Smith, its evident and annoying at the same time; given the fact that he kept running Sammy out their on the PP. Babs is used to working with veterans, but with the team full of youngsters he needs to learn to go more on faith and less on trust. Just think how long it took him to give Tatar a chance. Babs needs to be a little quicker on the uptake, and tweak whats about to break and not what until its already broken.

I can't judge Smith on the PP since I've never seen him on it, all I'm saying is that: what we have obviously doesn't work. And if Babs genuinely thinks that Smith can't be relied on in any facet of the game, the Wings need to bring someone else up and try them out.

Guest DeGraa55

I realize that around here it's customary to bash Quincey for the fun of it, but he's WAY better than Brendan Smith. Way better. The fact that he actually plays defense is a big reason why. Brendan hasn't quite figured out that the word "defense" in his position isn't simply a coincidence.

Secondly, Abby isn't on the first line...Nyquist-Legwand-Franzen is the first line. But even if he were, it would prove my point. To earn time on this team you need to play a responsible 200 ft. game. Abby does. Brendan doesn't.

Ya Quincey IS SO MUCH better. So much better that his only hit of the game took smith and himself out of the play and hossa had an easy goal.

And you guys are worried about giving up short handed goals? Hell out pp(Franzen). All ready is so what's it matter?

Trying new things when something isn't work IS WHAT A GOOD COACH WOULD DO. You don't keep trying the same god damn thing if it isn't working.

For those of you who've been saying Smith should play at forward (which I think is a terrible idea), maybe you'll get your wish?? :blink:

Ansar Khan@AnsarKhanMLive[/size] 8m
Abdelkader (lower body injury) not skating today. Bertuzzi is skating. Oddly, Smith is wearing white jersey, skating with bottom 6 forwards.

smith is indeed practicing as a LW per Khan. Does anyone else have a weirdly good feeling about this?

How could you not feel better knowing that Smith won't be relied upon to defend National Hockey League forwards anymore? Though I am a bit afraid of how many turnovers he'll have now that passing will be required of him more often.

Edited by kipwinger

How could you not feel better knowing that Smith won't be relied upon to defend National Hockey League forwards anymore? Though I am a bit afraid of how many turnovers he'll have no that passing will be required of him more often.

I think his brother should give him a call and let brendan know what its like to meet and/or exceed expectations.. Looking forward to seeing smitty on the forecheck tho, being his first game at forward id like to see him playing the body tn as much as possible.

Smith seems like a good enough athlete to maybe be able to play forward, but I loathe putting defencemen

on offense midseason.

We are only 3 points out, I'd rather have Smith sit in the press box; then play 3-5 min at a position he's not familiar with.

Whatever man. Smith's passes are usually tape-to-tape.

Just ask Ryan Smyth.

now that is down right funny!

Hey maybe he gets un-tracked and is a better forward in the NHL then d-man. If so we just got a decent sized body upfront and he isn't afraid to drop them though it's been FOREVER!

Never know might be the second coming of Shanny...I kid I kid

I plan on watching the great experiment and at least it gives LGW something to whine about!

Whatever man. Smith's passes are usually tape-to-tape.

Just ask Ryan Smyth.

I laughed, couldn't help it lol

Who is taking his spot on D? I know Ferraro was called up but I didn't notice any d-man called up from GR.

Edited by WingsAlways

Yup. Send Ferraro back down if you're not going to play him & call Ouellet up to take Smith's spot.

Why go through all that? Just call up Callahan and leave Smith at his natural position. This whole Smith to forward idea is gimmicky enough to get people interested, but at the end of the day it's still totally hairbrained.

Why go through all that? Just call up Callahan and leave Smith at his natural position. This whole Smith to forward idea is gimmicky enough to get people interested, but at the end of the day it's still totally hairbrained.

I'm with you, the more I think about it the less I like it. Reminds me of several years ago when E was put at forward, he played very little and added nothing.

or just play tootoo

That too, though I imagine they'd like someone who at least has the possibility of scoring a goal. Tootoo's not much help considering Babs hates him and will only play him about two and a half minutes a night.