• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
NYC Wings Fanatic

Is the Real Brendan Smith Finally Starting the Show Up?

Rate this topic

I agree that playing with Kronwall, most guys are going to look better. I really just feel like Quincey isn't a good fit for him at all. I think Ericsson or DeKeyser would be a marked improvement over Q... just anyone but him. Seriously.

Please don't re-sign Quincey, Ken Holland. Please. Please. ...Please.

Edited by Jesusberg

Just read this. Eyeopening for me regarding Smiths performance so far.It talks about a few arguments already made here and bolsters them with a few statistcs. Based on this I understand even less why Babs doesn't give Smith time one the PP.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2014/4/7/5592180/evaluating-brendan-smith

Just exciting to think about in what kind of D-man he can turn with a few more seasons under his belt.

Edited by derblaueClaus

Just read this. Eyeopening for me regarding Smiths performance so far.It talks about a few arguments already made here and bolsters them with a few statistcs. Based I understand even less why Babs doesn't give Smith time one the PP.

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2014/4/7/5592180/evaluating-brendan-smith

Just exciting to think about in what kind of D-man he can turn with a few more seasons under his belt.

I just read this too. kinda blew my mind.

I had no idea.

Guest DeGraa55

Great article I knew smith was better then most give him credit for...but didn't realize just how good he was offensively compared to the others or even kronwall.

They should be the top pairing even once E IS BACK. And should be together on the pp.

Also eye opening is just how bad Quincey is for a top 4 guy. Can you imagine what the chart showing how much better he makes his partner looks like? Eek.

But anyway, most top 4 guys make mistakes and Smith has really cleaned up his play. I think the key is, If you can't improve your weak areas, improve your strong points to offset. And I think Smith is doing that by being more offensive minded and aggressive.

I think Smith is three years away from essentially being Kronwall. Keep in mind this kid finally has played a full season's amount of game this year. His experience level is actually pretty low. He skates well and will improve his decision making with experience. I would love to see him paired with E when he gets back. A Kronwall, DK; Smith, Big Rig top four looks nice. or you could switch DK and E, but I like the idea of an offensive minded dman (Kron and Smith) paired with two stay at home types, DK and E.

Like I had said earlier in this thread, he is starting to look more like a Duncan Keith-type defenseman every game he plays alongside Kronner, with a very similar skill set. Tonight's goal was just another example of his ability to contribute, on both ends of the ice!

Edited by NYC Wings Fanatic

I'm liking Smith more and more. Yes, he makes some mistakes (as do all of our defencemen) but he seems to have fantastic offensive instincts -- he knows when to move up on the rush and when to attack the net. I think he would bring way more to the power play than DeKeyser does at this point, altho DD's slapshot seems harder.

Doesn't it look like Brendan is continuing to significantly grow more and more during these playoff games? He is now almost always joining the rush whenever the opportunity presents, and his stickhandling and speed make him look pretty darn good in hauling it out of the defensive zone, dishing it off or shooting himself, or simply giving the offense another look that they typically don't have from a defenseman. Babs must have given him the green light to do this whenever possible, as they certainly haven't reeled him in, and must be encouraging this big time. Krug does this same stuff consistently for the Bruins. Smith's defense also looks a world better, even though he still gambles big time on occasion, but has made some genuinely high level def. plays that he hadn't done much of previously. A dose of Kronwall sure does wonders! (Now if only Kronner could be cloned, and then paired with Kindl, Quincy, and Lashoff!)

Doesn't it look like Brendan is continuing to significantly grow more and more during these playoff games? He is now almost always joining the rush whenever the opportunity presents, and his stickhandling and speed make him look pretty darn good in hauling it out of the defensive zone, dishing it off or shooting himself, or simply giving the offense another look that they typically don't have from a defenseman. Babs must have given him the green light to do this whenever possible, as they certainly haven't reeled him in, and must be encouraging this big time. Krug does this same stuff consistently for the Bruins. Smith's defense also looks a world better, even though he still gambles big time on occasion, but has made some genuinely high level def. plays that he hadn't done much of previously. A dose of Kronwall sure does wonders! (Now if only Kronner could be cloned, and then paired with Kindl, Quincy, and Lashoff!)

Honestly, he's been looking like a leader out there. When the Wings are hemmed in their own zone, on several occasions Smith has been taking the puck and skating away from trouble himself, instead of passing to someone else and hoping they have a better chance at getting the puck out (which seems to be a problem with our defense as a whole this postseason). On the breakout, as you said, Smith has been joining the rush and looking to make plays, and he's been contributing to our chances in the offensive zone. He's taken a step in his development for sure based on his play, and I love that hockey smarts are starting to work along with his confidence, and he has some experience to steer him to the right play now. I still think his potential is very high, and I'm excited to see how he progresses over the next two, three years.

His skating through nuetral zone last night was great to see. Granted he is hi risk when doing that but once he understands the game more he will be a dangerous dude. You can see his confidence growing eaxh game. That Chara bs really calmed him down actually and will prove to be a seminal moment im his growth hopefully

Guest DeGraa55

He def has been looking good. And I still can't figure out why babs seems to do everything possible to keep him off the power play. I saw him out there a couple times with kronwall I think? But it seems he still tries to have a fourth forward on the top PP which makes no sense to me. Smith and kronwall could do wonders on the same PP IMO. I just wish one was righty..:

Edited by DeGraa55

It was always about taking a chill pill for Smith. When he slows the game down, skates with the puck instead of making ill advised passes, he's golden. He still makes mistakes, but this is his first 82 game season. He's shown alot of growth, I think going forward he should be paired with Kronwall full time. Ericsson can do just fine with DeKeyser. The 3rd pair needs to be revamped in the offseason.

It was always about taking a chill pill for Smith. When he slows the game down, skates with the puck instead of making ill advised passes, he's golden. He still makes mistakes, but this is his first 82 game season. He's shown alot of growth, I think going forward he should be paired with Kronwall full time. Ericsson can do just fine with DeKeyser. The 3rd pair needs to be revamped in the offseason.

I think next year the third pair will be some combination of Kindl Sproul Oulette Marchenko Almqvuist and a free agent defenseman. There is no chance that they will not try and sign a veteran to come in and compete. Obviously I have no say in the matter but I would like it if Smith and Kronwall stayed together and if not Kronwall then Dekeyser and Smith. Personally I would look for the Wings to find that elusive right handed Dman that they lost when Rafalski retired.

Smith has been very steady these playoffs despite looking flustered to start the season. He stays pretty calm out there against that Bruins forecheck. He seems to thrive under pressure which is not a talent every player has. I like his poise when he gets a pass in his feet and there is a man coming down on him - also he is starting to skate out of trouble rather than turn the puck over which is a huge improvement.

I find he has been better but he seems to be trying too hard with the puck. He appears to be sort of a hog and i even saw dats wanting the puck a couple games ago and smith didnt even notice him... dats even hit him with his stick as he was skating behind him

He is definately more effective when he plays this way, but he just needs to stop playing 4th forward so much

Some caller into 97.1 said Smith should be playing 9 minutes a night at max. The host (Fithian?) agreed and said he couldn't believe that Smith was sometimes paired with Kronwall during the regular season.

Did these people even watch the playoffs?

That's why I font like that radio station. Just look at those corsi stats someone posted. Literally every defense man plays better when they are playing with Smith.