Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Is the Real Brendan Smith Finally Starting the Show Up?

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#141 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

I actually didnt see the chip play at the time but thats still one play in an entire game. The fact that you cant say Smith had a good game against the Pens shows you have an agenda against the guy. He has been playing good hockey for a while now. He had a better game than Dekeyser did against Columbus, it just turns out that his one bad play ended up somehow squeaking past Howard. Dekeyser had a couple shifts in a row with bad turn overs but no one says anything. One got golden boy status from a good run at the end of last year but Smith has been really solid with Kronwall. As for your statistical and video evidence, you show one highlight of one bad play and that counts as evidence??

As for evidence, obviously Smiths pairings havent been hemmed in their own zone very much lately because has a team Dman leading corsi relative and even Kronwall is the only one close to him. Which means hes moving the puck out of the zone well and getting shots at the other end of the ice. On the other hand, Dekeyser has by far the worst of the D. Only Cleary and Glendening are worse and the gap in quality of competition doesnt make up for the difference. And you can also look at the fact that with regular PP time, Dekeyser still isnt out producing Smith (he has one more assist and the same goals). Smith's even strength production is right up there with guys like Doughty.

To top all of this off, I wanna say I think Dekeyser looks good out there I dont hate Dekeyser. Just proving a point that while one has been somewhat of a scape goat with people having agendas against him, the other has become a golden boy whose turnovers are overlooked. Smith is playing really solid hockey and has turned it around since early in the year and last season. Both these guys are good, young players and it doesnt make sense to rip on someone like Smith while everyone loves Dekeyser. Maybe people love his defense because he has to make so many defensive plays because he spends more time in his own zone while Smith is moving the puck up ice.

Edited by newfy, 27 March 2014 - 12:02 PM.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#142 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

I actually didnt see the chip play at the time but thats still one play in an entire game. The fact that you cant say Smith had a good game against the Pens shows you have an agenda against the guy. He has been playing good hockey for a while now. He had a better game than Dekeyser did against Columbus, it just turns out that his one bad play ended up somehow squeaking past Howard. Dekeyser had a couple shifts in a row with bad turn overs but no one says anything. One got golden boy status from a good run at the end of last year but Smith has been really solid with Kronwall. As for your statistical and video evidence, you show one highlight of one bad play and that counts as evidence??

As for evidence, obviously Smiths pairings havent been hemmed in their own zone very much lately because has a team Dman leading corsi relative and even Kronwall is the only one close to him. Which means hes moving the puck out of the zone well and getting shots at the other end of the ice. On the other hand, Dekeyser has by far the worst of the D. Only Cleary and Glendening are worse and the gap in quality of competition doesnt make up for the difference. And you can also look at the fact that with regular PP time, Dekeyser still isnt out producing Smith (he has one more assist and the same goals). Smith's even strength production is right up there with guys like Doughty.

To top all of this off, I wanna say I think Dekeyser looks good out there I dont hate Dekeyser. Just proving a point that while one has been somewhat of a scape goat with people having agendas against him, the other has become a golden boy whose turnovers are overlooked. Smith is playing really solid hockey and has turned it around since early in the year and last season. Both these guys are good, young players and it doesnt make sense to rip on someone like Smith while everyone loves Dekeyser. Maybe people love his defense because he has to make so many defensive plays because he spends more time in his own zone while Smith is moving the puck up ice.

It doesn't mean that at all.  He get's more offensive zone starts than any other defenseman on our team.  It's not hard to bring the puck into our zone when you already start with the puck in our zone. 

Edited by kipwinger, 27 March 2014 - 12:20 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#143 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

Dekeyser starts 15 shifts in the offensive zone per game on average, while Smith averages 14. So while those are a different percentage of their actual shifts, Dekeyser should have more production to show. Youre also lying, considering Lashoff and Kindl both start more in the offensive zone than Smith. Excluding neutral zone starts, Dekeyser averages a massive 0.9% of his shift starts in the defensive zone than Smith per game according to extra skater. Smith starts 29.3% of his shifts in the defensive znoe while Dekeyser starts 30.2% in his own zone.

Dekeyser doesnt actually start that much more in the defensive zone at all, he has a much higher neutral zone start that explains the difference in their offensive zone starts. So while Smith does start in the O zone already more, they are both starting in the defenve zone pretty much the exact same amount.

So yeah, in other words their deployment really doesnt explain the difference either. Are you still sure theres that much of a difference or whats next on your agenda?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#144 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:47 PM

Dekeyser starts 15 shifts in the offensive zone per game on average, while Smith averages 14. So while those are a different percentage of their actual shifts, Dekeyser should have more production to show. Youre also lying, considering Lashoff and Kindl both start more in the offensive zone than Smith. Excluding neutral zone starts, Dekeyser averages a massive 0.9% of his shift starts in the defensive zone than Smith per game according to extra skater. Smith starts 29.3% of his shifts in the defensive znoe while Dekeyser starts 30.2% in his own zone.

Dekeyser doesnt actually start that much more in the defensive zone at all, he has a much higher neutral zone start that explains the difference in their offensive zone starts. So while Smith does start in the O zone already more, they are both starting in the defenve zone pretty much the exact same amount.

So yeah, in other words their deployment really doesnt explain the difference either. Are you still sure theres that much of a difference or whats next on your agenda?

I don't know why you keep referencing my "agenda".  I've admitted to having one.  It's to prove that Smith isn't a top pair defenseman.  You keep saying it like it's some sort of revelation and not a blatantly obvious thing I've spent the better part of six pages trying to prove. 

Here's the link to where I got my numbers.  It's got Smith ahead of Kindl and behind Lashoff (5-on-5).  Last time I checked (about a week ago) Lashoff was behind Smith too.  So no, I'm not "lying".  Also why are you excluding neutral zone starts?  Because it's convenient for your argument?  Smith starts in the o-zone more than Dekeyser, Kronwall, Quincey, Ericsson, and Kindl (according to my numbers).  You don't get to exclude facts just because you feel like it. 

Also, why do you keep saying Dekeyser should have more offense to show?  He's a defensive d-man who's never put up big numbers at any level.  You know who should have better numbers?  Our talented young offensive d-man with all the "upside".

http://www.behindthe... 61 62 64 65 66

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#145 NYC Wings Fanatic

NYC Wings Fanatic

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

Smith sweeping that puck right off the goal line behind Howard at the very last second tonight against the Leafs was truly a thing of beauty!!! That kind of heady move is what he is so capable of at his best, and I just hope that he keeps building on that level of play into his habits!

#146 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:51 PM

Smith really would probably be better at forward if he had begun his career there like his brother. He excels at joining the rush (like a forward) other than that the rest of his D game is average to below average. Although his save from behind Howard tonight saved me a heart attack.

#147 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:55 PM

Smith sweeping that puck right off the goal line behind Howard at the very last second tonight against the Leafs was truly a thing of beauty!!! That kind of heady move is what he is so capable of at his best, and I just hope that he keeps building on that level of play into his habits!

That was a great play!

tumblr_n389imnq9U1qzx8cgo1_500.jpg

Edited by darkmanx, 29 March 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#148 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,646 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

Love Smitty!!!!

#149 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

Smith will continue to grow. He is playing much better lately and still has his moments - but he is young and dmen don't hit their prime until later. Did a great job tonight saving me from pulling my hair out. If that went in everyone would be cursing howard again and the leafs could have tied it after.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#150 NYC Wings Fanatic

NYC Wings Fanatic

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Smith blocking Filppula's shot in the last minute - he's stepping up to the plate more and more, in a big way, at critical times, as time goes on, is he not? Kronwall's steadying influence seems to be working wonders for him!

#151 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

Smith is the beast...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#152 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

That was a great play!

tumblr_n389imnq9U1qzx8cgo1_500.jpg

That's Tatar not Smith.

#153 saven

saven

Rookie

• Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:18 PM

I said when he was paired with kron he now trusts his partner and is playing a relaxed game and it shows.
In explanation of my avatar: for those who understand no explanation is necessary, for those who don't google federko.

#154 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,769 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:32 PM

I agree that playing with Kronwall, most guys are going to look better. I really just feel like Quincey isn't a good fit for him at all. I think Ericsson or DeKeyser would be a marked improvement over Q... just anyone but him. Seriously.

Please don't re-sign Quincey, Ken Holland. Please. Please. ...Please.

Edited by Jesusberg, 01 April 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#155 derblaueClaus

derblaueClaus

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

Just read this. Eyeopening for me regarding Smiths performance so far.It talks about a few arguments already made here and bolsters them with a few statistcs.  Based on this I understand even less why Babs doesn't give Smith time one the PP.

http://www.wingingit...g-brendan-smith

Just exciting to think about in what kind of D-man he can turn with a few more seasons under his belt. 

Edited by derblaueClaus, 08 April 2014 - 07:33 AM.

"I'd have my **** out if I scored four goals. Id have my **** out, stroking it." - "Jumbo" Joe Thornton

Monsterblue.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#156 Rick D

Rick D

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:32 AM

Just read this. Eyeopening for me regarding Smiths performance so far.It talks about a few arguments already made here and bolsters them with a few statistcs.  Based I understand even less why Babs doesn't give Smith time one the PP.

http://www.wingingit...g-brendan-smith

Just exciting to think about in what kind of D-man he can turn with a few more seasons under his belt. 

I just read this too. kinda blew my mind.

I had no idea.

Eff Chicago

Eff Boston

#157 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

Great article I knew smith was better then most give him credit for...but didn't realize just how good he was offensively compared to the others or even kronwall.

They should be the top pairing even once E IS BACK. And should be together on the pp.

#158 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:06 AM

Also eye opening is just how bad Quincey is for a top 4 guy. Can you imagine what the chart showing how much better he makes his partner looks like? Eek.

But anyway, most top 4 guys make mistakes and Smith has really cleaned up his play. I think the key is, If you can't improve your weak areas, improve your strong points to offset. And I think Smith is doing that by being more offensive minded and aggressive.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#159 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

I think Smith is three years away from essentially being Kronwall. Keep in mind this kid finally has played a full season's amount of game this year. His experience level is actually pretty low. He skates well and will improve his decision making with experience. I would love to see him paired with E when he gets back. A Kronwall, DK; Smith, Big Rig top four looks nice. or you could switch DK and E, but I like the idea of an offensive minded dman (Kron and Smith) paired with two stay at home types, DK and E.

#160 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

I like that WIIM piece because it works on two levels. It's a piece about Smith and how valuable he really is, but it also demonstrates how valuable fancy stats can be. Smith = Fancy stats.

Don't Toews me, bro!