Photo
- - - - -

Detroit D performance

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

List in earnings order

Nicklas Kronwall  $4.75m

Kyle Quincey  $3.775m

Jon Ericsson   $3.25m

Jakub Kindl  $2.4m

Brendan Smith $1.262m

Danny DeKeyser $0.925m

Brian Lashoff  $0.725m

List in scoring order

Kronwall Gp 62  7+33= 40 +1

DeKeyser Gp 58  3+13=16 +6

Smith Gp 53  3+12=15 -2

Ericsson Gp 44  1+10=11 +7

Kindl Gp 51  1+10=11 -12

Quincey Gp 64  4+6=10 -7

Lashoff  Gp 57 1+3=4 -1

List in Toi order

Kronwall  24.13

Ericsson  21.24

Dekeyser 21.08

Quincey  20.35

Smith      18.16

Kindl       17.53

Lashoff   14.44

Make what you will of that. I was bored and wondered how they stacked up against each other.

But one thing that stands out is we sure need another Top 2 guy in place before next season.

We have had at least 3 D men with over 20 + points for the past 8 years (except strike years)

and 2 of those had over 30+ pts during that period. Maybe DD will hit the 20pt mark this year

as well as Kronner but it sure does flag up our problem area.

Edited by Andy Pred 48, 11 March 2014 - 09:50 AM.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#2 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

10 points and minus 7 from a player making nearly four million dollars.

The Wings desperately have to find an upgrade for either the top or second pairing this summer. Ideally someone that can move the puck and chip in offensively because they get nothing from the defense in terms of point production outside of Kronner. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#3 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

We have had at least 3 D men with over 20 + points for the past 8 years

Smith and Dekeyser could easily reach 20 points a piece to join kronwall at 20+ but I do agree that we need defensive help.. that's been obvious for far too long now. Need a #2/3 puck mover with some offensive ability imo.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#4 NitzGuy

NitzGuy

Jr. Prospect

• 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Wow I keep forgetting how much Quincy actually makes. Its a bit painfull seeing it listed like this next to the stats. But then I just look at dekeyser and I feel alot better.

#5 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

That Quincey actually makes more than Ericsson is an absolute joke.

#6 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

As hard as I am on Kindl I always forget about his contract, which actually makes it worse.  $2.4 million through 2017 for a guy who can't crack the lineup half the time.  

I'm surprised he's not the subject of more buyout discussion. 

#7 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

Unimpressive group of guys right there. DD has some maturing to do but he shows promise and him and E make the best passes out of our zone. E has been a bit shaky lately but he isn't bad. Kronwall has been putting up some points and he's been a top 10 defenseman in the league this year I'd say. Smith is playing better, especially his offensive pinches. Lashoff is ok but doesn't add anything to our scoring. But Quincey and Kindl have been brutal to watch. Couple of bad brain farts by all these guys this year though. No one excluded. Tough year so far. This plus pitiful goaltending are dooming us this season. Thankfully our GR prospects have shined. A nice future to look forward to if we can fix these obvious issues.

#8 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

Kindl our 4th highest paid defenseman who is usually a healthy scratch.

Yet another brilliant Holland transaction. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#9 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

In recent weeks we've seen some improvement in guys like Smith and even Quincey, but Kindle took a big step back after last season. For most of the year though the D has been pretty porous but the optics are worse then they should be because the overall team D(forwards and Goalies included) has been atrocious. As much as I'd like to blame all our troubles on Quincey, it's kinda hard when the forwards don't support the D and the Goalies allow soft goals.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#10 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

Kyle Quincey is quite possibly the most overpayed D-man in the league (at least in terms of production).

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#11 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

Kyle Quincey is quite possibly the most overpayed D-man in the league (at least in terms of production).

Still more production than Alexandre Burrows with a 6 million $ cap hit this year :)

(yes I know he's not a defenseman...)

#12 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

How many points do people expect a guy like Quincey or even Smith to get when they don't even get a sniff of PP time.

I know the popular thing to do is hate on Quincey but let's get real here...

Per Game Average Powerplay Time:

Quincey: 22 seconds

Smith: 8 seconds

Kindl: 2 min 17 seconds

I think it's obvious who the real underperformer is.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#13 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:25 PM

Well at least Kronwall comes relatively cheap. Dekeyser has been slumping a bit of late?

#14 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

The Wings really need more scoring from the D.

While Smith has finally found his groove, Kindl has regressed/stalled out. Quincey has got to go. The rest are keepers.

I just wish there was more available in FA.

Posted Image

#15 Ekmanc

Ekmanc

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

I would like more D scoring but priority 1,2 and 3 is a defense that is actually good in their own zone and our bottom3 is just nowhere near good enough.

#16 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,274 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

How many points do people expect a guy like Quincey or even Smith to get when they don't even get a sniff of PP time.

I know the popular thing to do is hate on Quincey but let's get real here...

Per Game Average Powerplay Time:

Quincey: 22 seconds
Smith: 8 seconds
Kindl: 2 min 17 seconds

I think it's obvious who the real underperformer is.

Quincey plays 20 minutes per game and has ten points. E, who is the furthest thing from being an offensive d-man, has more points in 20 fewer games. Quincey is a massive failure in both ends. He produced offensively before coming back to Detroit and has contributed nothing since despite playing decent minutes.

Smith should get PP time and for some unknown reason still doesn't get an opportunity. Quincey doesn't get PP time because he hasn't shown a lick of offensive skills.

Edited by GoWings1905, 11 March 2014 - 01:40 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#17 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

Quincey plays 20 minutes per game and has ten points. E, who is the furthest thing from being an offensive d-man, has more points in 20 fewer games. Quincey is a massive failure in both ends. He produced offensively before coming back to Detroit and has contributed nothing since despite playing decent minutes.

Smith should get PP time and for some unknown reason still doesn't get an opportunity. Quincey doesn't get PP time because he hasn't shown a lick of offensive skills.

I think the fact that you're comparing scoring between Ericsson and Quincey just shows the ridiculousness of this argument. 

It should be obvious at this point that neither player is relied on for the offensive production so I'm not sure why we're using that as a measuring point for their value to the team.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#18 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

...maybe Legwand can influence a trade for Weber? I am sure Weber enjoyed his Olympic experience with Babs... Ok, I know.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#19 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

As hard as I am on Kindl I always forget about his contract, which actually makes it worse.  $2.4 million through 2017 for a guy who can't crack the lineup half the time.  

I'm surprised he's not the subject of more buyout discussion. 

Never thought about his contract. Definitely would buy him out

#20 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

I think the fact that you're comparing scoring between Ericsson and Quincey just shows the ridiculousness of this argument. 

It should be obvious at this point that neither player is relied on for the offensive production so I'm not sure why we're using that as a measuring point for their value to the team.

It's a measuring point for Quincey because that's suppose to be the type of D-man he is. He's never been a shut-down or stay-at-home defenseman. So if he's bringing almost no offense to the table, he better be stepping it up big time on the defensive end. And so far he has barely showed up on the scoresheet and has been mediocre on the defensive end at best. If he were a high-level shut-down defenseman you would definitely have a point. But he's not (or even close to it). And the almost every game bonehead penalties seem to be the most consistent part of his game. So basically that's why people find it laughable that he is our 2nd highest paid D-man, and makes more $ than Jonathan Ericsson.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings, 11 March 2014 - 02:18 PM.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg