List in Toi order

Kronwall 24.13

Ericsson 21.24

Dekeyser 21.08

Quincey 20.35

Smith 18.16

Kindl 17.53

Lashoff 14.44

Make what you will of that. I was bored and wondered how they stacked up against each other.

But one thing that stands out is we sure need another Top 2 guy in place before next season.

We have had at least 3 D men with over 20 + points for the past 8 years (except strike years)

and 2 of those had over 30+ pts during that period. Maybe DD will hit the 20pt mark this year

as well as Kronner but it sure does flag up our problem area.

Edited by Andy Pred 48

10 points and minus 7 from a player making nearly four million dollars.

The Wings desperately have to find an upgrade for either the top or second pairing this summer. Ideally someone that can move the puck and chip in offensively because they get nothing from the defense in terms of point production outside of Kronner.

We have had at least 3 D men with over 20 + points for the past 8 years

Smith and Dekeyser could easily reach 20 points a piece to join kronwall at 20+ but I do agree that we need defensive help.. that's been obvious for far too long now. Need a #2/3 puck mover with some offensive ability imo.

Unimpressive group of guys right there. DD has some maturing to do but he shows promise and him and E make the best passes out of our zone. E has been a bit shaky lately but he isn't bad. Kronwall has been putting up some points and he's been a top 10 defenseman in the league this year I'd say. Smith is playing better, especially his offensive pinches. Lashoff is ok but doesn't add anything to our scoring. But Quincey and Kindl have been brutal to watch. Couple of bad brain farts by all these guys this year though. No one excluded. Tough year so far. This plus pitiful goaltending are dooming us this season. Thankfully our GR prospects have shined. A nice future to look forward to if we can fix these obvious issues.

In recent weeks we've seen some improvement in guys like Smith and even Quincey, but Kindle took a big step back after last season. For most of the year though the D has been pretty porous but the optics are worse then they should be because the overall team D(forwards and Goalies included) has been atrocious. As much as I'd like to blame all our troubles on Quincey, it's kinda hard when the forwards don't support the D and the Goalies allow soft goals.

Kyle Quincey is quite possibly the most overpayed D-man in the league (at least in terms of production).

Still more production than Alexandre Burrows with a 6 million $ cap hit this year :)

(yes I know he's not a defenseman...)

How many points do people expect a guy like Quincey or even Smith to get when they don't even get a sniff of PP time.

I know the popular thing to do is hate on Quincey but let's get real here...

Per Game Average Powerplay Time:

Quincey: 22 seconds

Smith: 8 seconds

Kindl: 2 min 17 seconds

I think it's obvious who the real underperformer is.

The Wings really need more scoring from the D.

While Smith has finally found his groove, Kindl has regressed/stalled out. Quincey has got to go. The rest are keepers.

I just wish there was more available in FA.

How many points do people expect a guy like Quincey or even Smith to get when they don't even get a sniff of PP time.

I know the popular thing to do is hate on Quincey but let's get real here...

Per Game Average Powerplay Time:

Quincey: 22 seconds

Smith: 8 seconds

Kindl: 2 min 17 seconds

I think it's obvious who the real underperformer is.

Quincey plays 20 minutes per game and has ten points. E, who is the furthest thing from being an offensive d-man, has more points in 20 fewer games. Quincey is a massive failure in both ends. He produced offensively before coming back to Detroit and has contributed nothing since despite playing decent minutes.

Smith should get PP time and for some unknown reason still doesn't get an opportunity. Quincey doesn't get PP time because he hasn't shown a lick of offensive skills.

Edited by GoWings1905

Quincey plays 20 minutes per game and has ten points. E, who is the furthest thing from being an offensive d-man, has more points in 20 fewer games. Quincey is a massive failure in both ends. He produced offensively before coming back to Detroit and has contributed nothing since despite playing decent minutes.

Smith should get PP time and for some unknown reason still doesn't get an opportunity. Quincey doesn't get PP time because he hasn't shown a lick of offensive skills.

I think the fact that you're comparing scoring between Ericsson and Quincey just shows the ridiculousness of this argument.

It should be obvious at this point that neither player is relied on for the offensive production so I'm not sure why we're using that as a measuring point for their value to the team.

As hard as I am on Kindl I always forget about his contract, which actually makes it worse. $2.4 million through 2017 for a guy who can't crack the lineup half the time.

I'm surprised he's not the subject of more buyout discussion.

Never thought about his contract. Definitely would buy him out

I think the fact that you're comparing scoring between Ericsson and Quincey just shows the ridiculousness of this argument.

It should be obvious at this point that neither player is relied on for the offensive production so I'm not sure why we're using that as a measuring point for their value to the team.

It's a measuring point for Quincey because that's suppose to be the type of D-man he is. He's never been a shut-down or stay-at-home defenseman. So if he's bringing almost no offense to the table, he better be stepping it up big time on the defensive end. And so far he has barely showed up on the scoresheet and has been mediocre on the defensive end at best. If he were a high-level shut-down defenseman you would definitely have a point. But he's not (or even close to it). And the almost every game bonehead penalties seem to be the most consistent part of his game. So basically that's why people find it laughable that he is our 2nd highest paid D-man, and makes more $ than Jonathan Ericsson.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings

It's a measuring point for Quincey because that's suppose to be the type of D-man he is. He's never been a shut-down or stay-at-home defenseman. So if he's bringing almost no offense to the table, he better be stepping it up big time on the defensive end. And so far he has barely showed up on the scoresheet and has been mediocre on the defensive end at best. If he were a high-level shut-down defenseman you would definitely have a point. But he's not (or even close to it). And the almost every game bonehead penalties seem to be the most consistent part of his game. So basically that's why people find it laughable that he is our 2nd highest paid D-man, and makes more $ than Jonathan Ericsson.

1 season over 30 points does not make Quincey an offensive defenceman but I can understand why you'd be disappointed if you thought he was one. It's quite clear we do not use him in that role.

He's quite average at both ends of the ice so I agree he's not a pure shut down guy either. Not everyone falls into either extreme of offensive/defensive.

I agree he's overpaid and takes dumb penalties but I never stated otherwise.

E was never going to be relied on for point production obviously. I was using it as a barometer for how pathetic Quincey has been offensively. Why wouldn't Quincey be expected to contribute offense? He did with other teams and he sure as hell isn't close to earning four million dollars for his defense (unlike E).

Quincey has no value -- that's ultimately my point. You can't be a four million dollar player getting 20 minutes per game and have ten points while also being poor defensively.

1 season over 30 points does not make Quincey an offensive defenceman but I can understand why you'd be disappointed if you thought he was one. It's quite clear we do not use him in that role.

He's quite average at both ends of the ice so I agree he's not a pure shut down guy either. Not everyone falls into either extreme of offensive/defensive.

I agree he's overpaid and takes dumb penalties but I never stated otherwise.

Yeah, they're called low-paid players. Not players making almost 4 million a season. Generally, defenseman making that much are either really good at one end or both ends, or at least "good" at both ends.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings