Never thought about his contract. Definitely would buy him out

Can they buy out Kindl? I thought his contract was signed since the lock out

#22 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

It's a measuring point for Quincey because that's suppose to be the type of D-man he is. He's never been a shut-down or stay-at-home defenseman. So if he's bringing almost no offense to the table, he better be stepping it up big time on the defensive end. And so far he has barely showed up on the scoresheet and has been mediocre on the defensive end at best. If he were a high-level shut-down defenseman you would definitely have a point. But he's not (or even close to it). And the almost every game bonehead penalties seem to be the most consistent part of his game. So basically that's why people find it laughable that he is our 2nd highest paid D-man, and makes more $ than Jonathan Ericsson.

1 season over 30 points does not make Quincey an offensive defenceman but I can understand why you'd be disappointed if you thought he was one.  It's quite clear we do not use him in that role.

He's quite average at both ends of the ice so I agree he's not a pure shut down guy either.  Not everyone falls into either extreme of offensive/defensive.

I agree he's overpaid and takes dumb penalties but I never stated otherwise.  

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#23 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

I think the fact that you're comparing scoring between Ericsson and Quincey just shows the ridiculousness of this argument. 

It should be obvious at this point that neither player is relied on for the offensive production so I'm not sure why we're using that as a measuring point for their value to the team.

E was never going to be relied on for point production obviously. I was using it as a barometer for how pathetic Quincey has been offensively. Why wouldn't Quincey be expected to contribute offense? He did with other teams and he sure as hell isn't close to earning four million dollars for his defense (unlike E). 

Quincey has no value -- that's ultimately my point. You can't be a four million dollar player getting 20 minutes per game and have ten points while also being poor defensively. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#24 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

1 season over 30 points does not make Quincey an offensive defenceman but I can understand why you'd be disappointed if you thought he was one.  It's quite clear we do not use him in that role.

He's quite average at both ends of the ice so I agree he's not a pure shut down guy either.  Not everyone falls into either extreme of offensive/defensive.

I agree he's overpaid and takes dumb penalties but I never stated otherwise.  

Yeah, they're called low-paid players. Not players making almost 4 million a season. Generally, defenseman making that much are either really good at one end or both ends, or at least "good" at both ends.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings, 11 March 2014 - 02:39 PM.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#25 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, they're called low-paid players. Not players making almost 4 million a season.

I agreed he's overpaid. You seemed to have missed my point.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#26 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:42 PM

Man, when you put all their point totals next to one another it's pretty abysmal. Kronwall is the horse, the rest haven't provided jack. One of the reasons we struggle to score goals the past 2 seasons is lack of quality point shots and passes. Kindl regressing this season didn't help matters, really thought he was gonna be a good one after seeing the playoffs last season.

#NOMOREKINDL

#27 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

Looking at the numbers, I'm not really surprised I wasn't expecting much from the D this season. But I was expecting Kindle to continue developing, but he's been terrible.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#28 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I agreed he's overpaid. You seemed to have missed my point.

Didn't miss your point at all. Your point just didn't make any sense. You asked why people were judging Quincey by his offense. So we told you why. Was there some other hidden point in there? If so I guess I didn't see it.

#29 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

Didn't miss your point at all. Your point just didn't make any sense. You asked why people were judging Quincey by his offense. So we told you why. Was there some other hidden point in there? If so I guess I didn't see it.

Right, I question why a player who mainly plays a defensive role on our team is being judged solely on his offensive stats.

You then proceeded to focus on his overpaid contract which I never disagreed with to begin with.

Do I think Quincey should make less and contribute more? Yes. But I don't believe he's near as bad as people make him out to be here.

Vince Lombardi

#30 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Can they buy out Kindl? I thought his contract was signed since the lock out

Yes, they can use a regular buy out on him if they wanted to.  Just means they'll still take a cap hit, unlike a compliance buy out.  More likely he (and Lashoff too) get passed by the kids in GR next season & wind up on waivers.

#31 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

If they decide they don't want Kindl, they should be able to find someone that will take him hoping he just needs a change of scenery.  

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#32 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

Right, I question why a player who mainly plays a defensive role on our team is being judged solely on his offensive stats.

You then proceeded to focus on his overpaid contract which I never disagreed with to begin with.

Do I think Quincey should make less and contribute more? Yes. But I don't believe he's near as bad as people make him out to be here.

Did you not read any of the replies to your question? Our entire point was that we weren't judging him SOLEY on his offense. We were judging him on both ends of the ice. And since he isn't earning his paycheck on the defensive end, the only thing left to judge is his offense (or lack-thereof). Especially since he's been an offensive d-man in the past (while wearing a Kings and Avs jersey).

And no one "focused" on him being overpayed. The entire discussion before you chimed in was in regards to him being vastly overpayed. So obviously that's going to be apart of the overall discussion. Most of the outrage here is SOLEY due to what he brings to the table on a nightly basis and how much he gets paid per season. If he was getting paid 1.5M per season I'm fairly certain most people wouldn't complain too much about his obvious short-comings on both ends of the ice.

#33 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

He's regressed, but I haven't given up on Kindl yet.

#34 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:02 AM

So by all accounts the general opinion seems to be let Qunicey walk and try and trade Kindl at the off season. saving $6.15m.  

Although Ericsson has played top line mins, in all honesty he is at best a 4/5 D. Unless we get a top 2 guy in, which in my view

would be a trade as there's no one on the UFA list i would want as a top pairing guy, for age or performance issue's.

My taking is that Kenny will go after Edler or Erhoff in the offseason as that guy. I would also try and bring Matt Greene home

from LA as a shut down 3rd pairing guy. My veiw is that Lashoff will be passed by and put on waivers and the young Russian

who has impressed me when ive watched GR Marchenko will be slotted in as the 7th D. Almqvist could be dealt in any deal to

get the top guy we need, he puts up the numbers but im not sure he has the physical strength to go up against NHL forwards.

So my version of how our back end could look next season is;

Kronwall   Edler/Erhoff

DeKeyser  Smith

Greene  Ericsson

Marchenko

Quincey lost to UFA

Kindl traded or waived

Lashoff  waived.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#35 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

Kindl Quincey and Lashoff are all just fillers. Wouldn't be mad if any of them left

#36 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:19 AM

While it's kind of a chicken/egg thing, we don't have the defensive forward dominance without Z and Pav in the lineup.  It makes a weak defense look even weaker.  By the same token, the poor defense has made our offense look worse than it is.  I don't really know why Holland couldn't make two trades at the deadline.  Didn't have an issue with the Legwand trade, it was necessary, but it would have been nice to get a defenseman also.  Although I don't think anyone available at the deadline would have helped immensely, I would have liked to see an effort made.  But I think it's really clear we need a top 2 defenseman in the worst way. 

#37 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't want a part of Erhoff because of the 10 year contract, AAV $4? 

And it's going to take alot to get Edler I reckon, based on this years deadline. 

temp 1

#38 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,012 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:21 AM

He's regressed, but I haven't given up on Kindl yet.

You're definitely a bigger optimist than I am.  

Kindl is 27 years old with over 200 games under his belt in the NHL, and is on his way to  being the next Brett Lebda.  

#39 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,140 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

You're definitely a bigger optimist than I am.  

Kindl is 27 years old with over 200 games under his belt in the NHL, and is on his way to  being the next Brett Lebda.  

Totally. Seeing him play in person really highlights how soft he is in his own end (both physically and mentally).

And I swear, for a big man, he looks smaller than Tatar out there.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#40 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,012 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Kindl Quincey and Lashoff are all just fillers. Wouldn't be mad if any of them left

Lashoff is 23 years old and has played less than 100 games in the NHL.  He's got good size and is a decent puck mover.  

I wouldn't mind if they packaged him in a deal, but I think there's also hope he could still develop into a solid defensive d-man for the Wings.