• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

3/11 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Blue Jackets 4

Rate this topic

...as far as I am concerned, Alfie hang em up this summer. Thanks Alfie, but we won't be needing you next year.

We should give Legwand the chance to re-sign, but ALL other UFA's can skate away.

Concentrate on #1 D and #1 goaltender. Jimmy must go.

convince Jimmy to waive is NTC to go to Buffalo, near his home and trade him for their 1st round pick. Then take our two top 14 picks and package them up with some players to get our #1 defenseman. Who that is or who is available, I dunno, but a couple of prospects, two roster players and two 1st round picks is a lot to dangle out there.

All our injured players should be fined for every loss now. This season is the most pathetic, unprofessional, unbelievable pile of horse s***.

And anyone who thinks missing the playoffs would make management reconsider anything is dreaming.

If the team isn't going to care, I don't know why I should.

...as far as I am concerned, Alfie hang em up this summer. Thanks Alfie, but we won't be needing you next year. We should give Legwand the chance to re-sign, but ALL other UFA's can skate away. Concentrate on #1 D and #1 goaltender. Jimmy must go. convince Jimmy to waive is NTC to go to Buffalo, near his home and trade him for their 1st round pick. Then take our two top 14 picks and package them up with some players to get our #1 defenseman. Who that is or who is available, I dunno, but a couple of prospects, two roster players and two 1st round picks is a lot to dangle out there.

Buffalo wouldn't go for that plus we would be out a goalie. Mrazek isn't ready yet.

This clip sums up the Red Wings (and in particular Quincey)...

Will Smith is Red Wings fans and Carlton is Ken Holland.

Edited by atodaso

The Sabres would never give up their first for Howard. That goes against everything that organization is trying to accomplish right now. They want to give Enroth a shot to start, Matt Hackett is a pretty promising goalie still and they have other prospects in goal too.

No way they deal what could be the first overall pick for Jimmy Howard. Especially since there seems to be a consensus he is "average" anyways.

Edited by GoWings1905

Even with a healthy roster, winning a regular season game against a team that isn't a bottom-feeder has been a monumental challenge. I've had to pray to God for two points against the Washington f****** Capitals. Every game is a Game 7. Every lead is blown. Every shootout is a choke job. Pride, heart, will, a chip on the shoulder, something to prove - nope, none of the above. We're made of glass, and we take it up the ass.

Soft puck possession style means lots of soft injury prone players. We really need a few Matt martins who can up the teams energy and also let other teams kno they can't play balls to the wall on us or they're gonna get run over . We can't be ALL class

At the end of the day I love this franchise bc we always go to the playoffs. We piss excellence. If we don't make it I'll still be a diehard fan, but it will be hard to take the "streak is over" bs from the media and other fans. We've always been a prime target for haters, and I dread the day they have ammo.

At the end of the day I love this franchise bc we always go to the playoffs. We piss excellence. If we don't make it I'll still be a diehard fan, but it will be hard to take the "streak is over" bs from the media and other fans. We've always been a prime target for haters, and I dread the day they have ammo.

Everything that has a beginning has an end. The streak will end eventually. I know I never want it to end either, but it will.

I usually just ask how many cups there team has? They shut up pretty quick.

unless its a maple leaf or canadian fan ;)

True true. I kno it has to an end sometime. This would just be sucha a crappy way to end it (injuries).

but it would give us an EXCUSE why its not because our talent crapped the bed its because we lost it all im with you im a die hard fan dont want the streak to end

...as far as I am concerned, Alfie hang em up this summer. Thanks Alfie, but we won't be needing you next year. We should give Legwand the chance to re-sign, but ALL other UFA's can skate away. Concentrate on #1 D and #1 goaltender. Jimmy must go. convince Jimmy to waive is NTC to go to Buffalo, near his home and trade him for their 1st round pick. Then take our two top 14 picks and package them up with some players to get our #1 defenseman. Who that is or who is available, I dunno, but a couple of prospects, two roster players and two 1st round picks is a lot to dangle out there.

Given that the cap is going to go up about $7 million this summer, we'll be rid of a few more scrub deals, and we still have a compliance buyout that'll likely be used on Tootoo, we're going to have a lot of cap space to play with. And call it a hunch, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Holland won't end up spending it all on any big names. That said, given that we'll likely have plenty of cap space, I think it'd make sense to keep Alfie around if he wants to play. Perhaps for a bit less money especially if the cap is at all a factor. This season has been utterly ridiculous with all injuries, but he's managed to stay mostly healthy and reasonably productive, all while serving as another great leadership voice in the room. I'd like to see him get a more fair shake at playing with a lineup that isn't decimated, which we have to hope could happen next year, especially if issues with training methods are addressed over the summer as Holland and Babcock suggested they would be.

Keeping him for one more year wouldn't be like signing Cleary again. Alfie can still contribute and stay healthy and on his feet, and we all know how much respect the guy gets and what kind of a leader he's been throughout his career. With a younger team, that wouldn't be a bad voice to have around for one more year. Mark my words, as good as some of these kids have been this year in a pinch, many of them will struggle next year when they start out as regulars out of camp. It's a totally different kind of pressure to leave training camp an NHL player than it is to be a minor leaguer coming up and just doing the best you can because an NHLer is injured. And again, I tend to think having someone like Alfie around to be a leader and mentor to some of these guys stepping into full-time NHL roles would be a positive thing.

And if there's a chance in hell that Howard gets moved this summer, he's going to have to implode in the playoffs. If we miss the playoffs, I don't see anything dramatic happening right away. If he plays great, obviously it'd be silly to imagine this management team to shake things up. But even if he bombs, I'd still expect them to go with him next year and hope he has a better start to bring up his value, and then they might try to move him. As said in another thread, I get the sense that Babcock is more than a little unsatisfied with Howard this year, and I don't think it's going to easy for Howard to get out of that doghouse. Howard's not the most mentally tough goalie out there, and Babcock can be a merciless jackhammer when it comes to dealing with goalies. I don't think it's a good combo for Howard long term. But in any event, like Howard or not, and personally I do, he absolutely needs to be a whole lot better than he's been this year if he's going to be the 3rd highest paid guy on the team, making just a bit less than two certifiable superstars.

And I still think we're going to make the playoffs. I just have a sneaking suspicion that we'll pull it off. And I am hardly a blind optimist; I think this team is screwed in 2-3 years when Datsyuk and Zetterberg move on or stop being effective if Holland doesn't start bringing in talent to smooth out the transition. And I don't think he will. I think it's exceedingly likely that half our kids will be busts once the pressure of being a regular NHLer kicks in, and I don't think Holland's going to do anything to combat that. I have a hard time seeing this team as a playoff team in three years the way things have been going. But this year? I've still got hope. Maybe I'm just in denial of what has the potential of coming true far sooner than my other concerns, but I think this team will find a way so long as we don't lose six more guys to injury and get no one back. I even think they might be able to make a run once they get there.

We've got quite the test coming up, but I think we'll see some surprising wins come out of it, and I think it'll propel this team forward towards a strong finish.

But if they lose to Edmonton, my soul and hope might be crushed...

What's the most embarrassing event? Tonight's effort Hollands effort at the trade deadline jimmy Howard's season or Weiss season??

I'm tired of seeing the wings get run into the boards non stop. Highlights of my night were that ****** getting called for diving and Franzen running someone over.

I agree with you and while I don't t subscribe with majority crying for calls I want a few players to do the same. Every other team in the league has a player who wants to hurt someone we dont Edited by cnot19

If missing the playoffs serves some greater good then that's fine by me. Last year I was prepared for the streak to end and I relished the idea of an organizational re-think and a high pick. This year I feel the same way.

BUT you damn well know that Holland will blame injuries. Our big summer UFA signings will be a healthy Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Weiss, Helm, etc.

Guess what I know it and it's pissing me off. Nothing against Holland but at some point he has to see the obvious, there needs to be a clear direction and a change of style. This team is Geffen runover on a nightly basis. Rookies are expected to carry the load game in game out that's too much pressure.

I think Stevie would be the right guy for the job. Also the draft philosophy has to change no more smallish soft players defender under 190 lbs nope, forwards nor bulked up nope...i really can't wait for McKee. Things need to change quickly.

I would love us picking that Dreiseitl guy

Edited by frankgrimes

Guest Playmaker

I get being disappointed, but come on. Fans are really expecting the Wings to dominate with a lineup that is mostly made up of Grand Rapids Griffins? Injuries are hardly an excuse this season. Holland has made his mistakes, to be sure, but he's hardly to blame for the Wings play this year. While things certainly don't look positive for the Wings, fans are throwing in the towel with a month left in the season and 2 points out of a playoff spot? Really? Forgotten about last season already?

Eventually the higher-ups will realize that it doesn't matter how many soft Euro superstars they draft or acquire... at the end of the day you have to protect your assets, and the DRW have failed to do so for the past 3-4 seasons. We may not find a grittier power-forward with great hands who can also fight, but until they find someone to keep other teams in check, what is to stop them from walking all over us, weathering our man-advantage afterwards?

When Neal was targeting Franzen in (what I believe) was his first or second game back from concussions, the only "enforcer" for the Red Wings by the end of the game was the officials, who threw him out of the game TO PROTECT HIM, because we had NO ONE TO STEP UP. When Stevie Y was still playing for the Wings, McCarty was given the job of making sure he never got messed with. Where is Datsyuk's McCarty? Who is protecting Franzen and his fragile head?

Babcock and KH will eventually realize that there is no point in building a superstar line-up if they refuse to keep them protected. Until then... well, just look at our past couple seasons and our injuries.

Eventually the higher-ups will realize that it doesn't matter how many soft Euro superstars they draft or acquire... at the end of the day you have to protect your assets, and the DRW have failed to do so for the past 3-4 seasons. We may not find a grittier power-forward with great hands who can also fight, but until they find someone to keep other teams in check, what is to stop them from walking all over us, weathering our man-advantage afterwards?

When Neal was targeting Franzen in (what I believe) was his first or second game back from concussions, the only "enforcer" for the Red Wings by the end of the game was the officials, who threw him out of the game TO PROTECT HIM, because we had NO ONE TO STEP UP. When Stevie Y was still playing for the Wings, McCarty was given the job of making sure he never got messed with. Where is Datsyuk's McCarty? Who is protecting Franzen and his fragile head?

Babcock and KH will eventually realize that there is no point in building a superstar line-up if they refuse to keep them protected. Until then... well, just look at our past couple seasons and our injuries.

Neal and Neil are two different guys, but I know what you're talking about.

Enforcers don't prevent injury. But if I was an opponent coach playing the Wings I would tell all my guys before the game "Look these guys are all soft finesse players. Don't play their game. Play physical and aggressive with them, and just go balls to the wall on them... they're not going to stop you." We need some more BIG guys that wear down the other team and let them know they can't go balls to the wall on us.

That guy was supposed to be Tootoo no? And look what's happened to him, buried in GR for mostly all the season.

Fact is, things won't change any time soon IMO. But realistically, should they? When everyone gets healthy, and you put the lines together, we've got a really good strong forward group. I think what we've seen this year is not only the toll the injuries have taken but also how that has really affected chemistry within the group. It's hard when you've got guys coming back constantly off injury and they're not fully at 100% or close to it. The other thing is that this team has been playing well (with the exception of the Rangers game), and they' just haven't had the mustard to either close it out offensively, or play the full 60 minutes. But that is to be expected when you've got young guys and half the veterans are out.

I'm still optimistic, but we're going to need some luck.

Honestly, there are so many things this team is missing right now, even when healthy

I'm not an pro-enforcer guy, never have been. BUT it would have been nice to go toe-to-toe physically with Columbus last night. It seems to me that other teams would be less likely to really lay it on our guys if they knew we had the ability to dish it back. Not talking fights, rather hits and the odd borderline play.

The other thing is, Babcock doesn't like to play that way. he likes to play hockey. So when Holland goes out and gets a Tootoo, he ends up rotting in the minors.