• Please log in to reply
436 replies to this topic

#421 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

Comeau suspended 2 games.  That's surprising...

Link

Edited by Son of a Wing, 12 March 2014 - 02:12 PM.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#422 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,453 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

well, it doesn't help the Wings, and we still lost the game, so the league figures why not?   So inconsistent. 

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#423 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Link

Whoop-de-doo

That'll teach him.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#424 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

Whoop-de-doo

That'll teach him.

:lol: My thoughts exactly. The dive he took when Smith crosschecked him after the hit was brutal too, deserved a punch in the face. Like Columbus is going to miss Comeau for 2 games...

#NOMOREKINDL

#425 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

Link

I think 2 games is excessive, I would have been fine with a 5 minute major and a game mis-conduct last night.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#426 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,453 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

I think 2 games is excessive, I would have been fine with a 5 minute major and a game mis-conduct last night.

that might have helped the Wings during the actual game, so... no.  This suspension is meaningless and won't stop other teams from targeting what is left of the Wings' roster on the ice.

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#427 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,904 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

I was a little surprised there was even a hearing, but honestly players keep being so stupid about these hits from behind.  If sitting for a couple games is what it takes to get their attention, so be it. 

#428 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

I was a little surprised there was even a hearing, but honestly players keep being so stupid about these hits from behind.  If sitting for a couple games is what it takes to get their attention, so be it. 

See I don't think 2 games will help deter players from making these hits, in the heat of the moment players forget about the punishment that's why we keep seeing hits from behind and head shots. Either something drastic has to happen like huge suspensions or the league has to allow players to protect themselves from head shots like in the old days. Either way I don't think the hits from behind or head shots are going anywhere, there's just too much adrenaline on the ice.  

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#429 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

See I don't think 2 games will help deter players from making these hits, in the heat of the moment players forget about the punishment that's why we keep seeing hits from behind and head shots. Either something drastic has to happen like huge suspensions or the league has to allow players to protect themselves from head shots like in the old days. Either way I don't think the hits from behind or head shots are going anywhere, there's just too much adrenaline on the ice.  

I agree that missing two games won't necessarily deter players but I do believe being listed as a repeat offender does.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#430 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

I agree that missing two games won't necessarily deter players but I do believe being listed as a repeat offender does.

How much do penalties go up for repeat offenders?

#431 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

How much do penalties go up for repeat offenders?

It's relative to the severity of the offence but It's one of the (if not THE top) factor in determining the penalty served.  Other than the action itself of course.

Injury would probably be a close second or arguably right there with it.

Vince Lombardi

#432 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

While things certainly don't look positive for the Wings, fans are throwing in the towel with a month left in the season and 2 points out of a playoff spot?  Really?  Forgotten about last season already? 

Zetterberg and Howard willed us into the playoffs last season. We're missing our top two players (one of whom is Zetterberg), top 20 centers, one third of our most exciting line (Jurco), our backup goalie (who's been better than our #1), and Howard's mojo. Also, the shootout issues and our goal differential means we won't win a tiebreaker.

Edited by Dabura, 12 March 2014 - 07:58 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#433 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

Zetterberg and Howard willed us into the playoffs last season. We're missing our top two players (one of whom is Zetterberg), top 20 centers, one third of our most exciting line (Jurco), our backup goalie (who's been better than our #1), and Howard's mojo. Also, the shootout issues and our goal differential mean we won't win a tiebreaker.

Soooo you're saying there's a chance.....

Vince Lombardi

#434 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

Maybe it's just plain karma. Like when Hossa ditched the Pens for us because we beat them for the Cup, and then they went on to beat us for the Cup.

We wanted the switch to the East because it'd be easier. We basically stole Alfredsson from Ottawa. Alfredsson said we had a good shot at the Cup. We dicked around with Nyquist because, zomg, Cleary makes us better. We boasted of our forward depth. We sent ten guys to the Olympics (ooooo, look at us, we're so skilled). And - I'll be a man about it - I was stupid enough to predict that we'd make some real noise this season.

We were asking for an enormously disappointing season.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#435 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

Also, we moved on from Flip. I can't believe we didn't see his replacement being injured for the whole season coming. And, also, we bought out Colaiacovo because he's so...injury-prone.

Edited by Dabura, 12 March 2014 - 06:20 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#436 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

It's relative to the severity of the offence but It's one of the (if not THE top) factor in determining the penalty served.  Other than the action itself of course.

Injury would probably be a close second or arguably right there with it.

I agree that being labeled as a repeat offender should make players think twice before laying a big hit. But putting that aside and taking the Comeau suspension as an example, is it right that he now has a suspension on his record for the hit on Smith? I don't think the hit warranted a suspension since we've seen plenty of hits that resembled Comeau's and some even more severe go unpunished. If the officials did their job Comeau would have gotten a 5 min major and a game misconduct, but because the ref's botched the play Comeau now has a suspension. Though to be clear I'm not defending the hit, it's just the fact that Shanny and his office seem to have selective vision when it come to punishments. The hit that Dats got to the head earlier in the year was ignored and here there is a 2 game suspension, I just wish that the NHL would be more consistent when doling out punishments.     

#437 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,610 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

Shhhh,Holland's on

Not nearly as effective.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.