• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
alabarrie

What would it take a get Shea Weber?

Rate this topic

Just putting the question out there. What would it take and are you willing to give it up?

Weber is everything Babs and Kenny wants. A physical right handed player that eats up minutes. His contract was front loaded, so a lot of the money owed to him has already been paid out, and with the cap going up we can easily take on his cap number.

The only untouchable young player for me are Mantha and DeKeyser.

I wish Kenny was more aggressive when Weber was a RFA. 4 first round picks sounds like a steal to me.

4 first round picks?!? I like Weber for sure but not enough to sell what ever chance we have to find our future stars.

Here is a question... if getting Weber meant losing either Pavel or Zetterberg would you pull the trigger?

4 first round picks?!? I like Weber for sure but not enough to sell what ever chance we have to find our future stars.

Here is a question... if getting Weber meant losing either Pavel or Zetterberg would you pull the trigger?

I'd rather suck for the next five years, save those draft picks, and get our own less douch-y Weber + 2 or 3 other future stars.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

Mantha

Nyquist

Helm

2014 1st

2015 1st

...maybe.

What is a first round pick worth when it's in the 20s? With Weber on this team, I can't see us missing the playoffs or picking any higher than 20 in the next four years. To me, I would rather give up 4 first round picks and keep the young players and prospects that we know are quality, like Tatar, Gus, Jurco. These guys are NHL ready now, while whoever we would pick in the draft are 3 years away from playing at best. Weber would make us a contender now and for the next 5 years easily.

I don't see Pav or Z waving their NTC, but if I had too...Yes, I would trade Pav. To get a player like Weber, we would have to give up something big like that. I love Pavel, but I would rather have one elite center and Dman than having two elite centers that are well into their 30s.

To get Shea Weber himself Kenny would have to pretty much give Poile a free run at anyone and everyone in the organization. To get a Shea Weber type player, it would take a high draft pick or a diamond in the rough type of draft selection.

Shea Weber's physicality is overrated. I don't think he's even fought 10 times in the last 5 years. Sure, he'll drill a guy when he's not looking, but he's not nearly as physical as he was when he first broke into the league. That being said, he's an offensive force on the blueline. I'd rather have Mark Giordano, though, to be honest.

Shea Weber's physicality is overrated. I don't think he's even fought 10 times in the last 5 years. Sure, he'll drill a guy when he's not looking, but he's not nearly as physical as he was when he first broke into the league. That being said, he's an offensive force on the blueline. I'd rather have Mark Giordano, though, to be honest.

Don't forget that it isn't exactly common for a team's top defenseman or even player in this case to be dropping the gloves too often. Trotz would lose his mind.

Don't forget that it isn't exactly common for a team's top defenseman or even player in this case to be dropping the gloves too often. Trotz would lose his mind.

True, but from what I've seen of him, he doesn't play nearly as physical as he used to. He was once compared to Dion Phaneuf in reference to his hard-hitting play early in his career. I think those comparisons have stopped.

Exactly. Shea Weber fighting would be horrible for the success of the team. It would be beyond stupid.

All hypothetical of course, but I doubt D or Z would get traded, not at this stage of their careers with this organization. That said, I think you'd have to be sentimental thoughts aside and think realistically about it and I would be in favour of such a move. I don't think it woudl be enough though. Datsyuk will be 36 at the end of the season and while Zetterberg will only be 34 entering next season, he'll be an exteremely old 34...his body is breaking down pretty rapidly it seems. We'll see how he recovers for next year though.

Other players in other organizations in a similar situation do get traded as rentals, etc. (see Iginla, Bourque, several others.....just don't see is as a realistic scenario here...just doesn't seem to happen in Detroit).

True, but from what I've seen of him, he doesn't play nearly as physical as he used to. He was once compared to Dion Phaneuf in reference to his hard-hitting play early in his career. I think those comparisons have stopped.

Phaneuf's so badass EVERYONE on the ice is in danger...

Well to be fair, Phaneuf's biggest hit came against his teammate haha but on a serious note, I think Weber's game has changed a lot in recent years and perhaps for the better. Also, I don't think he is gambling on hits as much since he no longer has Suter to bail him out if he gets caught. I always thought Suter was the better all around dman of the two.

Back to Phaneuf and Weber, if we look at where they both started at and look at where they have ended up in terms of development, I don't think there is a sane person that would take Phaneuf over Weber. Weber has evolved and adjusted a whole lot more than Phaneuf has and is by far a better all around player.

Guest Playmaker

If you'll recall, Philly WAS aggressive and signed him to the deal, but Nashville matched. It doesn't matter if you're aggressive or not.

I'd love to get Weber as much as the next guy, but he has to be on the trade block. If Nashville has already paid out a good portion of his contract, what is in it for them to trade him?

Unless Weber does a MSL, I don't see why Nashville would want to move him.

Well to be fair, Phaneuf's biggest hit came against his teammate haha but on a serious note, I think Weber's game has changed a lot in recent years and perhaps for the better. Also, I don't think he is gambling on hits as much since he no longer has Suter to bail him out if he gets caught. I always thought Suter was the better all around dman of the two.

Back to Phaneuf and Weber, if we look at where they both started at and look at where they have ended up in terms of development, I don't think there is a sane person that would take Phaneuf over Weber. Weber has evolved and adjusted a whole lot more than Phaneuf has and is by far a better all around player.

I completely agree with Suter being the more well-rounded of the two. And yes, Weber is a better player than Phaneuf. All I'm really saying is that Weber's physicality is overrated by many people. Weber has an absolute cannon and is one of the most lethal defensemen in the league on the powerplay. Personally, I don't like the guy, but I can acknowledge that he's one of the best defensemen in the league.

Mark Giordano is more of a leader, to me.

I wasn't meaning to mock you, I actually don't mind Phaneuf. Love certain parts of his game. Just saw it as a good chance to share that video from last night.

Oh okay. Yeah, I like the physical aspect of what he brings to the table. He doesn't really strike me as a leader, though. His whining seems to have been getting worse as his career has progressed.

If you'll recall, Philly WAS aggressive and signed him to the deal, but Nashville matched. It doesn't matter if you're aggressive or not.

I'd love to get Weber as much as the next guy, but he has to be on the trade block. If Nashville has already paid out a good portion of his contract, what is in it for them to trade him?

Unless Weber does a MSL, I don't see why Nashville would want to move him.

Straight from David Poile himself:

We’re not trading Shea,” said Poile, “we’ve told that to everybody, people ask and it’s their right to ask, but we’re not trading him.”

first of all, I wouldn't want Weber for his physicality...sure he is more physical than all of our D, but that is not why I would trade for him. I would trade for him to be the closest thing to Lidstrom we could get. An offensive threat with a blazing shot and a top tier defensive defenseman.

What would it cost to acquire him...well if you think Poile fleeced Holland at the deadline, then you know he would ask for the moon AND stars for Weber. It would be justified though. This is why I say we trade Jimmy for a 1st round pick, be it from Edmonton, Winnipeg, Islanders, Florida... With the way Snow has been giving stuff away, we could probably get a 1st and a 2nd for Jimmy. Offer Ryan Miller the stars and all the planets and his own Little Caesar's franchise to come "home." Ok so follow me here:

to NYI: Jimmy Howard (waive his NTC)

to DET: 2014 1st

to NSH: TWO 2014 1st round picks, Darren Helm, Brendan Smith, Jakub Kindl, Adam Almqvist, Landon Ferraro (would rather trade Ericsson than Smith, but I am already pushing Holland's limits)

to DET: Shea Weber, retain some salary

Sign as UFA: Ryan Miller, Jaromir Jagr. re-sign David Legwand (UFA) Tatar (RFA) Sheahan (RFA) Glendening (RFA) Callahan (RFA) DeKeyser (RFA)

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Jagr

Franzen - Legwand - Nyquist

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

Miller - Weiss - Abdelkader

(Andersson, Callahan)

Weber - Kronwall

DeKeyser - Ericsson

Ouellet - Marchenko

Lashoff

Miller

Mrazek

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

to NYI: Jimmy Howard (waive his NTC)

to DET: 2014 1st

to NSH: TWO 2014 1st round picks, Darren Helm, Brendan Smith, Jakub Kindl, Adam Almqvist, Landon Ferraro (would rather trade Ericsson than Smith, but I am already pushing Holland's limits)

to DET: Shea Weber, retain some salary

no way that would get it done