• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
alabarrie

What would it take a get Shea Weber?

Rate this topic

Well I don't see why not, but hey, if that many assets and experienced players wouldn't do it, then so be it. I'd rather go for a couple vets via UFA like: Morris, Mitchell, Orpik, Zidlicky or Niskanen.

I still trade Jimmy, but I know he won't be and that is too bad. That is why we really need to shore up the D in order to keep Jimmy from himself. Trade Almqvist & Kindl for a pick or two, sign (random) Morris & Zidlicky.

Kronwall - Zidlicky

Dekeyser - Morris

Smith - Marchenko

Lashoff

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

to nsh datsyuk

to wings weber

i think they would take that

no way id do it though

it's the other way around

i would; nashville wouldn't

3 more seasons of datsyuk (on the decline) for potentially 8-10 seasons of weber?

no-brainer.

Well I don't see why not, but hey, if that many assets and experienced players wouldn't do it, then so be it. I'd rather go for a couple vets via UFA like: Morris, Mitchell, Orpik, Zidlicky or Niskanen.

You included absolutely nothing of significant value for arguably the best defenceman in the game. Top 5 for sure.

I remember this being brought up when Weber was an RFA, the offer sheet for him was insane. IIRC, GM's don't typically put in RFA offers for high caliber players like Weber because for one, it's way too much to give up for one player (which I assume the offer sheet was set up that way to protect the team's high caliber RFAs) and two, you won't be well liked for screwing that GM over by forcing them to match and commit more money than they could have offered. I think Holmgren was the only GM to put in the offer for him which Nashville quickly matched.

The point I'm trying to make here is that with Nashville willing to match Philly's offer sheet, and with Suter gone, I don't see Weber being moved any time soon unless he demands it.

TWO 1st round draft picks(both of which will be top 12 (1 of them top 5) considering we aren't making the playoffs,) Darren Helm, Brendan Smith alone is a very valuable package. Throwing the other three in for padding. If Nashville wouldn't take that, then Poile is crazy...the problem is, Holland is stupid, so he would never offer it. I would put Ericsson in there instead of Smith if needed. (and that would be my preference.)

to NSH: #12 overall and a #5 overall pick in 2014, Helm, Ericsson, Kindl, Ferraro, Almqvist

Nashville would be put in an asylum if they wouldn't accept that...

TWO 1st round draft picks(both of which will be top 12 (1 of them top 5) considering we aren't making the playoffs,) Darren Helm, Brendan Smith alone is a very valuable package. Throwing the other three in for padding. If Nashville wouldn't take that, then Poile is crazy...the problem is, Holland is stupid, so he would never offer it. I would put Ericsson in there instead of Smith if needed. (and that would be my preference.)

to NSH: #12 overall and a #5 overall pick in 2014, Helm, Ericsson, Kindl, Ferraro, Almqvist

Oh right how could I forget the Isles first rounder. How silly of me.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

well, they wouldn't.

hope that helps.

Guest DeGraa55

first of all, I wouldn't want Weber for his physicality...sure he is more physical than all of our D, but that is not why I would trade for him. I would trade for him to be the closest thing to Lidstrom we could get. An offensive threat with a blazing shot and a top tier defensive defenseman.

What would it cost to acquire him...well if you think Poile fleeced Holland at the deadline, then you know he would ask for the moon AND stars for Weber. It would be justified though. This is why I say we trade Jimmy for a 1st round pick, be it from Edmonton, Winnipeg, Islanders, Florida... With the way Snow has been giving stuff away, we could probably get a 1st and a 2nd for Jimmy. Offer Ryan Miller the stars and all the planets and his own Little Caesar's franchise to come "home." Ok so follow me here:

to NYI: Jimmy Howard (waive his NTC)

to DET: 2014 1st

to NSH: TWO 2014 1st round picks, Darren Helm, Brendan Smith, Jakub Kindl, Adam Almqvist, Landon Ferraro (would rather trade Ericsson than Smith, but I am already pushing Holland's limits)

to DET: Shea Weber, retain some salary

Sign as UFA: Ryan Miller, Jaromir Jagr. re-sign David Legwand (UFA) Tatar (RFA) Sheahan (RFA) Glendening (RFA) Callahan (RFA) DeKeyser (RFA)

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Jagr

Franzen - Legwand - Nyquist

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

Miller - Weiss - Abdelkader

(Andersson, Callahan)

Weber - Kronwall

DeKeyser - Ericsson

Ouellet - Marchenko

Lashoff

Miller

Mrazek

Nashville would LAUGH at that offer.

Any offer they'd want begins with dekeyser nyquist and smith PLUS more. Guaranteed.

But they won't move him he is the face of their franchise right now.

Also for the one who said dat or z I'd make that trade if it was straight up but it wouldn't be. Nashville would want more than either guy that seems to spend more time off the ice then on.

Weber isn't going anywhere unless he asks for a trade. It would probably take a crap ton of the best prospects and young players along with a couple high draft picks. 2 of Jurco, Tatar, Nyquisst, Jurco, Mantha, and Sproul, for sure. Ouellet, Pulk, Marchenko, et. al. are secondary prospects and would be included to sweeten the pot. Even then Holmgren would probably trade an entire draft's worth of picks and 3 ro 4 top prospects, if the Flyers have any left. Because he's "ballsy" like that.

Lots of teams win lots of Cups without Shea Weber...like all of the them. So why give up that much to get him when the reality is hit cap hit is so prohibitive you team will never win as long as he's on it. How many times do teams have to sign Webers, and Ovechkins, and Lecavaliers, and Kovalchuks to HUGE contracts with no success afterward before people realize it's their contracts which are the problem.

No thanks on Shea Weber.

We would literally have to sell the farm for him. Right off the bat you could say good bye to a couple of 1st round picks and Mantha. That would just be to get a conversation started. Would take a whole lot more on top of that.

But but but he played good with Lidstrom in that one all-star game...

well the OP just wanted to debate on what we thought it would take to acquire him. We all agree it will take too much. In my silly little scenario, I broke down what I could do without in order to add Weber. I know that it wasn't reality and Nashville would ask for the world, but I did give up a ton of important cogs in the Red Wings machine, and that is what I would be willing to give up to get him. It surely would cost more, and I am not prepared to give up what it take in reality. But in the spirit of this thread, being asked what I would give up for Weber, that is what I would be ready to give up...a lot. Obviously it would cost more, so I guess I wouldn't be acquiring Weber because in my opinion, he is good, but not better than the combined worth of the players and picks I offered...some of these GM's need to be put in check. I sure wish they would bring back the arbitrator to the NHL to review all trade offers and penalize GM's for fleecing one team and accepting less from another...

Getting Weber isn't going to happen, at least not for 2-4 more years. Yes I do believe he gets moved in time, but not anytime soon.

But that doesn't help us, but maybe we are asking the wrong question. I think we all would love to have Weber or a guy like him to pair with Dekeyser for the next 8+ years and form a top pair. So maybe we need to be asking, who can we pick up that could become the next Weber type Dman? We don't have time to wait and see if Sproul or another prospect makes it 2-3 years from now. We need a DD clone from the right side now. So, who is going to be the next Weber?

Umm... Well we just gave up Jarnkrok, Eaves and a mid-2nd/3rd to the same team for a 33 year old David Legwand (who has expiring contract and wasn't re-signing) and has only put up 50 points twice in his career.

So to get a top 3 defenseman in the NHL (the face of their franchise and captain) who is still in the prime of his career, with a very reasonable cap hit for until he's retired (considering inflation during the current CBA) would probably take something like:

Irrelevant because Nashville isn't trading this type of player for the next 5-6 years - unless he demands a trade.

2 picks (and 1 banking on the fact that you can talk Jimmy into accepting a trade to the Isle? Riiiiight), two solid contributors but not top tier players by any stretch of the imagination, & 3 kids that are extreme long shots (Kindl included) to be on the Wings' roster next season & could be claimed on waivers instead if they were really interested? Poile would be run out of town if he accepted an offer like that.

The conversation would probably go more like The Wings' 2014 & 2015 1st round picks, their 2015 2nd or 3rd rounder, Nyquist, Mantha, DeKeyser/Smith. Then possibly a Jurco, Pulkkinen, Sproul, Ouellet, or Marchenko to get the deal done or depending on how confident they are that Rinne & rebound from his health issues, add Mrazek to that list.

People may not agree but I would overpay for a guy like Jacob Trouba. I see him as the closest thing to a future Weber.

Can you imagine a pairing of DeKeyser - Trouba in a few years?

To Winnipeg - Jakub Kindl, Xavier Ouellet, Joakim Andersson, 2014 1st and 3rd

To Detroit - Jacob Trouba

In 3 years

Kronwall - Ericsson

DeKeyser - Trouba

Smith - Sproul

Not gonna happen though...

Now, back to the question, who can be the next Weber? Ok, what is Weber? He is a 28 year old, 6-4/230 RHed shooting Dman good for 50 points per year and good D. So who are the next generation fo guys that could become that type of player? Have no idea how any of these guys will turn out, but here is a list I would work from:

E Johnson 25 6-4/230 RH 40 pts per year

Pietrangelo 24 6-3/200 RH 55 pts per year

Shattenkirk 25 6-0/210 RH 50 pts per year

Bogosian 23 6-3/215 RH 25 pts per year

Petry 26 6-3/195 RH 30 pts per year

Voynov 24 5-11/200 RH 35 pts per year

Stone 23 6-3/210 RH 30 pts per year

Myers 24 6-8/225 RH 40 pts per year

Gryba 25 6-4/225 RH 25 pts per year

Franson 26 6-5/215 RH 30 pts per year

Faulk 21 6-0/215 RH 30 pts per year

Schenn 24 6-2/230 RH 25 pts per year

Carlson 24 6-3/215 RH 40 pts per year

Now which ones of that group will develop further into a superstar? Carlson is most likely, in fact may have already developed to a point where it is impossible to afford him. But figure which one of these guys will get there, then make a move. Now we have a true top pair for the next 8+ years.

Wanted to add some thoughts on the opinions that Nashville would never trade Weber unless he asked out. The reality in Nashville is that they're an internal cap team, dead last in their division, will certainly miss the playoffs this season, & with how the West is stacked will probably struggle to make the playoffs in the next few years at least. So their revenue is already going to take a hit this year with the weaker Canadian dollar & a lack of playoff games.

If that continues for a couple/few seasons, there's going to be some pressure there to improve the team while controlling costs. A good way to do that is get a great package of young players for the guy who is taking up 13% of your current payroll. That's a couple tenths of a point away from the percentage that Crosby & Malkin are in Pittsburgh or Perry & Getzlaf in Anaheim and higher than the likes of Kane, Toews, Pavel,Stamkos, Karlsson, Chara...the list goes on. Ovechkin far & away is on the top of that list fyi at ~14.8%. If the Pred's continue to struggle on the ice & on the balance sheet, the quickest way for them to start a turnaround is to trade off their most expensive & most valuable chip imo.

Edited by ogreslayer