• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

I wasn't meaning to mock you, I actually don't mind Phaneuf. Love certain parts of his game.  Just saw it as a good chance to share that video from last night.

Oh okay. Yeah, I like the physical aspect of what he brings to the table. He doesn't really strike me as a leader, though. His whining seems to have been getting worse as his career has progressed.

"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#22 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

If you'll recall, Philly WAS aggressive and signed him to the deal, but Nashville matched.  It doesn't matter if you're aggressive or not. 

I'd love to get Weber as much as the next guy, but he has to be on the trade block.  If Nashville has already paid out a good portion of his contract, what is in it for them to trade him? 

Unless Weber does a MSL, I don't see why Nashville would want to move him.

Straight from David Poile himself:

We’re not trading Shea,” said Poile, “we’ve told that to everybody, people ask and it’s their right to ask, but we’re not trading him.”

#23 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:56 PM

It would take far more than we have.

#24 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

first of all, I wouldn't want Weber for his physicality...sure he is more physical than all of our D, but that is not why I would trade for him.  I would trade for him to be the closest thing to Lidstrom we could get.  An offensive threat with a blazing shot and a top tier defensive defenseman.

What would it cost to acquire him...well if you think Poile fleeced Holland at the deadline, then you know he would ask for the moon AND stars for Weber.  It would be justified though.  This is why I say we trade Jimmy for a 1st round pick, be it from Edmonton, Winnipeg, Islanders, Florida... With the way Snow has been giving stuff away, we could probably get a 1st and a 2nd for Jimmy. Offer Ryan Miller the stars and all the planets and his own Little Caesar's franchise to come "home." Ok so follow me here:

to NYIJimmy Howard (waive his NTC)

to DET: 2014 1st

to NSHTWO 2014 1st round picks, Darren Helm, Brendan Smith, Jakub Kindl, Adam Almqvist, Landon Ferraro (would rather trade Ericsson than Smith, but I am already pushing Holland's limits)

to DETShea Weber, retain some salary

Sign as UFA:  Ryan Miller, Jaromir Jagr. re-sign David Legwand (UFA) Tatar (RFA) Sheahan (RFA) Glendening (RFA) Callahan (RFA) DeKeyser (RFA)

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Jagr

Franzen - Legwand - Nyquist

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

Miller - Weiss - Abdelkader

(Andersson, Callahan)

Weber - Kronwall

DeKeyser - Ericsson

Ouellet - Marchenko

Lashoff

Miller

Mrazek

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#25 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

to NSHTWO 2014 1st round picks, Darren Helm, Brendan Smith, Jakub Kindl, Adam Almqvist, Landon Ferraro (would rather trade Ericsson than Smith, but I am already pushing Holland's limits)

no way that would get it done

#26 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:59 PM

Well I don't see why not, but hey, if that many assets and experienced players wouldn't do it, then so be it.  I'd rather go for a couple vets via UFA like: Morris, Mitchell, Orpik, Zidlicky or Niskanen.

I still trade Jimmy, but I know he won't be and that is too bad.  That is why we really need to shore up the D in order to keep Jimmy from himself.  Trade Almqvist & Kindl for a pick or two, sign (random) Morris & Zidlicky.

Kronwall - Zidlicky

Dekeyser - Morris

Smith - Marchenko

Lashoff

www.thinkdunes.com

#27 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

to nsh datsyuk

to wings weber

i think they would take that

no way id do it though

#28 fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

to nsh datsyuk

to wings weber

i think they would take that

no way id do it though

it's the other way around

i would; nashville wouldn't

3 more seasons of datsyuk (on the decline) for potentially 8-10 seasons of weber?

no-brainer.

#29 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

Well I don't see why not, but hey, if that many assets and experienced players wouldn't do it, then so be it.  I'd rather go for a couple vets via UFA like: Morris, Mitchell, Orpik, Zidlicky or Niskanen.

You included absolutely nothing of significant value for arguably the best defenceman in the game. Top 5 for sure.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#30 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

I remember this being brought up when Weber was an RFA, the offer sheet for him was insane. IIRC, GM's don't typically put in RFA offers for high caliber players like Weber because for one, it's way too much to give up for one player (which I assume the offer sheet was set up that way to protect the team's high caliber RFAs) and two, you won't be well liked for screwing that GM over by forcing them to match and commit more money than they could have offered. I think Holmgren was the only GM to put in the offer for him which Nashville quickly matched.

The point I'm trying to make here is that with Nashville willing to match Philly's offer sheet, and with Suter gone, I don't see Weber being moved any time soon unless he demands it.

#31 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

TWO 1st round draft picks(both of which will be top 12 (1 of them top 5) considering we aren't making the playoffs,) Darren Helm, Brendan Smith alone is a very valuable package.  Throwing the other three in for padding.  If Nashville wouldn't take that, then Poile is crazy...the problem is, Holland is stupid, so he would never offer it. I would put Ericsson in there instead of Smith if needed. (and that would be my preference.)

to NSH:  #12 overall and a #5 overall pick in 2014, Helm, Ericsson, Kindl, Ferraro, Almqvist

Nashville would be put in an asylum if they wouldn't accept that...

www.thinkdunes.com

#32 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

Considering how much Holland paid for a 33 year old rental - I don't want to give up what holland would pay to the same GM for shea weber in his prime signed for longterm. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#33 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

TWO 1st round draft picks(both of which will be top 12 (1 of them top 5) considering we aren't making the playoffs,) Darren Helm, Brendan Smith alone is a very valuable package.  Throwing the other three in for padding.  If Nashville wouldn't take that, then Poile is crazy...the problem is, Holland is stupid, so he would never offer it. I would put Ericsson in there instead of Smith if needed. (and that would be my preference.)

to NSH:  #12 overall and a #5 overall pick in 2014, Helm, Ericsson, Kindl, Ferraro, Almqvist

Oh right how could I forget the Isles first rounder.  How silly of me.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#34 fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

well, they wouldn't.

hope that helps.

#35 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,218 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Nothing after what he did to Z.  :nono:

Screw Weber

#36 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

first of all, I wouldn't want Weber for his physicality...sure he is more physical than all of our D, but that is not why I would trade for him.  I would trade for him to be the closest thing to Lidstrom we could get.  An offensive threat with a blazing shot and a top tier defensive defenseman.

What would it cost to acquire him...well if you think Poile fleeced Holland at the deadline, then you know he would ask for the moon AND stars for Weber.  It would be justified though.  This is why I say we trade Jimmy for a 1st round pick, be it from Edmonton, Winnipeg, Islanders, Florida... With the way Snow has been giving stuff away, we could probably get a 1st and a 2nd for Jimmy. Offer Ryan Miller the stars and all the planets and his own Little Caesar's franchise to come "home." Ok so follow me here:

Sign as UFA:  Ryan Miller, Jaromir Jagr. re-sign David Legwand (UFA) Tatar (RFA) Sheahan (RFA) Glendening (RFA) Callahan (RFA) DeKeyser (RFA)

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Jagr
Franzen - Legwand - Nyquist
Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar
Miller - Weiss - Abdelkader
(Andersson, Callahan)

Weber - Kronwall
DeKeyser - Ericsson
Ouellet - Marchenko
Lashoff

Miller
Mrazek

Nashville would LAUGH at that offer.

Any offer they'd want begins with dekeyser nyquist and smith PLUS more. Guaranteed.

But they won't move him he is the face of their franchise right now.

Also for the one who said dat or z I'd make that trade if it was straight up but it wouldn't be. Nashville would want more than either guy that seems to spend more time off the ice then on.

#37 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,582 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

:lol: I know guys...I know.

www.thinkdunes.com

#38 PredsFanTheBayouState

PredsFanTheBayouState

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

Nothing after what he did to Z.  :nono:

Screw Weber

i bet deep down inside,you really wish weber played for the wings and Z would be ok with weber as his teammate,after what he did to him

#39 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

Weber isn't going anywhere unless he asks for a trade.  It would probably take a crap ton of the best prospects and young players along with a couple high draft picks.  2 of Jurco, Tatar, Nyquisst, Jurco, Mantha, and Sproul, for sure.  Ouellet, Pulk, Marchenko, et. al. are secondary prospects and would be included to sweeten the pot.  Even then Holmgren would probably trade an entire draft's worth of picks and 3 ro 4 top prospects, if the Flyers have any left.  Because he's "ballsy" like that. 

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#40 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,561 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:17 PM

Lots of teams win lots of Cups without Shea Weber...like all of the them.  So why give up that much to get him when the reality is hit cap hit is so prohibitive you team will never win as long as he's on it.  How many times do teams have to sign Webers, and Ovechkins, and Lecavaliers, and Kovalchuks to HUGE contracts with no success afterward before people realize it's their contracts which are the problem. 

No thanks on Shea Weber. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."