• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Motown4013

The Leaders HAVE to step up

Rate this topic

Have we sucked in the shootout because of injuries? Have we sucked at home because of injuries? Have we been unable to hold a lead because of injuries? Has Quincey singlehandedly cost us 20 goals because of injuries? Was Nyquist held off the roster for the oh-so-valuable Cleary because of injuries? Have we failed to play more than a couple 60-minute games this season because of injuries? Howard hasn't been anything close to what we need him to be, but is that simply because of his injuries and injuries to the guys in front of him?

Injuries have hurt us. (Pun.) But there's more than that to our struggles.

I would say yes to a couple of these. But your point taken.

I think the thing that really bothers me is how many seasons in a row are injuries going to be a major issue? These same core players are getting hurt year after year, what are the Wings going to do differently to stop this?

Have we sucked in the shootout because of injuries? Have we sucked at home because of injuries? Have we been unable to hold a lead because of injuries? Has Quincey singlehandedly cost us 20 goals because of injuries? Was Nyquist held off the roster for the oh-so-valuable Cleary because of injuries? Have we failed to play more than a couple 60-minute games this season because of injuries? Howard hasn't been anything close to what we need him to be, but is that simply because of his injuries and injuries to the guys in front of him?

I'm glad you pointed out Quincey. I don't think people realize (even despite all the hate) just how important Quincey was to us losing so much in the early part of the season. There were some stats floating around the 25 game mark, I think, that showed he had been on the ice and directly the cause of a goal against a game (not an average, but an actual goal in each game) for something like 15 or 16 games. A lot of those games were 1 goal games. Not to excuse the poor play of everyone else, but if we had someone different in Quincey's spot, we could be well into the playoff standings right now.

I wasn't implying any of that stuff. Just that "injuries" was much more appropriate for your analogy than any one team...

Dabura your stress level has risen noticeably since the Jarnkrok trade. lol

Hard to have your leaders step up when most of them are injured.

Well it's a team, comprised of veteran guys....LEADERS...so again, 55, Ericsson, Alfie, Mule and Howard all are there with a ton of experience to rise above. Somehow Z manages to do it EVETY SINGLE YEAR..... So it's not like someone can't find another gear. All of the guys mentioned above have the ability to dominate a game.....but someone needs to do it.

I'm glad you pointed out Quincey. I don't think people realize (even despite all the hate) just how important Quincey was to us losing so much in the early part of the season. There were some stats floating around the 25 game mark, I think, that showed he had been on the ice and directly the cause of a goal against a game (not an average, but an actual goal in each game) for something like 15 or 16 games. A lot of those games were 1 goal games. Not to excuse the poor play of everyone else, but if we had someone different in Quincey's spot, we could be well into the playoff standings right now.

Ah, Kyle Quincey.

On one hand, I feel I'm too hard on him. He's been playing like a legitimate #4, yet our blue line still kinda blows. Conclusion? The problem's bigger than Quincey. It's more our top three. And that's on Holland.

On the other hand, Quincey's boneheaded mistakes singlehandedly cost us goals and games and points. If we miss the playoffs by a few points, it's his fault more than anyone else's.

I wasn't implying any of that stuff. Just that "injuries" was much more appropriate for your analogy than any one team...

No worries, I wasn't attacking your post. Just a general point I wanted to get off my chest.

Dabura your stress level has risen noticeably since the Jarnkrok trade. lol

WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING?!

(Part of it is that my back pain is flaring up. I fear the kidney stones are back. (Pun?) Everyone tells me that passing kidney stones can be as or more painful than giving birth. Being a guy, I can neither confirm nor deny this. But I can tell you it's the worst pain I know. So, just imagine that I'm giving birth as I'm posting here. My stress level should make more sense then.)

(Not that this whole trading our best prospect to help us keep the streak alive only to give away two must-win games and drop to a 39% chance of making the playoffs because a team of professional millionaire athletes can't be bothered to stay healthy or play a 60-minute game business isn't stressing me.)

Like I said in the last GDT, the Wings are like an Army without a General without Z. The leaders we have who can step up are Kronner, Alfie, Mule and Legwand. Mule and Legwand have been busting ass, Kronner has ben on/off on/off lately and Alfredsson has been a ghost since the Olympics. With Dats out also, it adds a lot more burden on those 4 guys, with Z out, we don't have that guy that throws the team on his back to make the post season. Mule can try, but he's not the leader Z is. Z turns it up 6 gears when it's on the line.

I think Ken and Mike should hold the team meeting and tell the players that the pressure to make the Playoffs is off with all those injuries.

Then,they could actually start to play as they should and make it.

I read that as Ken and Mick. lolz.

Once again the score sheet confirms that the kids are winning us games and the vets..well, I sound like a broken record.

on a side note, Jimmy was awesome in the shootout! Nice to see him play well and win it!