• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Cap increase may be lower than projected

Rate this topic

The original number for next year was guess at 71 million. With the Canadian dollar dropping it might only be 68 or 69 million now. Espn has a story up about it. Not a big change, but a change none the less.

wow, harsh crowd today...

I don't think $2M to $3M will affect most, if any, teams when it comes to this off season, but IMO I like that the cap may be a bit lower from expected next year. These salaries are once again, getting WAY out of control and the "market value" of marginal players is really hurting this league... In NO world is Kyle Quincey worth $3.75M let alone what he is going to get on the UFA market this summer. I know when it comes to the superstars, its a touchy subject because the likes of Datsyuk, Stamkos, Crosby are hugely responsible for the owners making the money they make, so they do deserve to be well compensated in return. The whole cap issue is touchy, but in today's NHL there are too many marginal players making WAY too much money and it's the fault of the GM's, who, complained about the salaries to begin with and wanted a cap.

edit: as for a source, I also haven't found anything on the web, but I do remember the last Wings telecast on FSD, Ken Daniels did make mention the cap may not go up as much as once thought...

Edited by LeftWinger

I'd almost rather it be a little lower.

This will put the squeeze on teams like Minny who are looking to hoard (Vanek, etc).

The Wings will have plenty of space regardless. The lower the cap, the more chance they have to be competitive if they decide to target certain UFAs. A lower cap might actually induce ceiling teams into trading salary as well. This could perhaps help facilitate a trade for a defensemen if needed.

Dean Lombardi - "We found out, to our chagrin and surprise the other day, we had been told the cap was going to be $71 [million] and now with the Canadian dollar having tanked, that the cap could be as low as $68 [million]. That's a huge swing," Lombardi said. "So that's more of the talks with our three guys, Mitchell, Lewis and Greene, who we'd all like to bring back. That's more of a hindrance than anything we acquired today. "

Source

This will put the squeeze on teams like Minny who are looking to hoard (Vanek, etc).

The Wings will have plenty of space regardless. The lower the cap, the more chance they have to be competitive if they decide to target certain UFAs. A lower cap might actually induce ceiling teams into trading salary as well. This could perhaps help facilitate a trade for a defensemen if needed.

Dean Lombardi - "We found out, to our chagrin and surprise the other day, we had been told the cap was going to be $71 [million] and now with the Canadian dollar having tanked, that the cap could be as low as $68 [million]. That's a huge swing," Lombardi said. "So that's more of the talks with our three guys, Mitchell, Lewis and Greene, who we'd all like to bring back. That's more of a hindrance than anything we acquired today. "

Exactly what I was talking about.

I'm agreeing with you a lot this afternoon.

Even at $68 mil the Wings can add plenty. Kindl traded in a package for a top pairing D if they can find one, and sign Legwand to around $4 mil and Alfredsson or another forward for $4 mil. Tossing the $2 mil that they'll have carried over from Alfredsson's bonus, they'll have over $5 mil to add a backup goalie and a D-man.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($6.000m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / David Legwand ($4.000m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)
Tomas Tatar ($1.110m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.975m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Mitchell Callahan ($0.605m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($4.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($2.400m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / Danny DeKeyser ($2.000m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
BUYOUTS
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $68,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,764,545; BONUSES:- $0
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $5,335,455

Even at $68 mil the Wings can add plenty. Kindl traded in a package for a top pairing D if they can find one, and sign Legwand to around $4 mil and Alfredsson or another forward for $4 mil. Tossing the $2 mil that they'll have carried over from Alfredsson's bonus, they'll have over $5 mil to add a backup goalie and a D-man.

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($7.500m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($6.000m)

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

BUYOUTS

Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)

------

Mrazek will almost certainly be the backup. I like our odds of getting a dman if the cap goes to 68mil instead of 71

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

BUYOUTS

Jordin Tootoo ($0.000m)

------

dont care for that roster def need a number 1 d man otherwise it could be another terrible year for us defensively

Mrazek will almost certainly be the backup. I like our odds of getting a dman if the cap goes to 68mil instead of 71