Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

3/14 GDT : Edmonton Oilers 1 at Red Wings 2 (F/SO)

gdt

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#241 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

a huge two points but until Smiths bonehead play that not even a pee wee would have played we looked fairly comfortable. I hope a refocused group are up for the task that awaits them in chitown

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#242 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

Good! I'm glad he played well! I saw that quote from him about (paraphrasing here) that its time to start playing better and not just talking about playing better. Just wish they could have that mindset when they first start talking about playing better.

(sidenote: just because he won the game tonight doesn't negate that fact that he has been pretty bad this season and I (obviously! ha) believe the criticism was and still is warranted until he can prove that this all was just a fluke)

I don't recall anyone saying he never steals a game for us.
You either:
Steal a game & win
Play standard game & win
Play standard game & lose
Give up untimely/stoppable goals in a winnable games & lose (costs us the game)
(and a few more scenarios but not really important here)

Ideally a goalie would steal many more games than he costs us (the other scenarios don't really matter i.e. wouldn't be his fault if we lost). If he at least had a 50-50 average there I would be ok with that (not really but I wouldn't rag on him as much or as harshly).

I have no idea how many Howie has of each or any idea how you would go about figuring that out this far into the season without throwing away your life watching replays of this season's games. But it feels like this season he's cost us way more than he's stolen for us. (and yes he has stolen a number of games for us and he has cost us a number of points in the standings)

Lol people are constantly saying Howie never stole a game for us

#243 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

We won the game. We would not even be in the playoff hunt given all these injuries if it wasn't for the coaching of mike Babcock. There is a reason he is the highest paid coach in the league and you are a fan like me who comes onto forums to talk about what we think... He clearly has far more hockey knowledge then you or I. IMO babs should be coach of the year no doubt if he gets us into the playoffs.

I hate how fans complain when we don't win, which is understandable but then they even complain when we win. I know your a passionate fan and I respect that, but have some faith in the guy who is keeping this team in the run.

I agree that he's helped us manage the injuries. But it doesn't mean we can't pick apart his (sometimes) dumb decisions. This is the same guy who wanted Cleary and Bert over Nyquist and Tatar. Where would we be right now if he hadn't changed his mind?? Where would we be if he had changed his mind sooner? I can say with almost certainty that we wouldn't be in the scramble that we're in now. (Unless you think Bert and Ernie would have put up the points to help us win games that Goose and Tats have. I can't imagine too many rational people would think that.)

If anybody around here complains after a loss, they are labeled reactionary and not worthy of giving their opinion.

If you complain after a win, you're told to shut up and ignore the problem cuz it didn't cost us the game.

Is there any time around here that people are allowed to discuss the problems of this team without being told they aren't a "true fan"?

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#244 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

Lol people are constantly saying Howie never stole a game for us

Yeah but I think what they mean is that he costs us more that he steals.

Not that he's NEVER (not a single time!) stolen a game.

Like how people say Smith or Quincy ALWAYS make boneheaded plays. They don't ALWAYS make boneheaded plays EVERY time they get the puck or they wouldn't ever have gotten to play in the NHL. But they make enough to overshadow any good things they do.

Or how Sammy ALWAYS shoots into a goalie's chest. Or he Always shoots it 2 feet wide of the net. It obviously can't be both!

Edited by roboturner, 15 March 2014 - 11:01 AM.

This might be getting a little heated. Just know I don't hate any of you guys.

That doesn't mean that I respect ideas & opinions. Some ideas & opinions are ridiculous.

In fact, if you confront my ideas & opinions, that will lead to a discussion. (We're on a discussion board after all. Don't forget that!)

:bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1: :bye1:

#245 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Just watched highlights, sick shootout goal by Datsyuk Jr ... aka Tatar.  

#246 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Didn't catch this game, but I gather it was rather ugly. Good that we got the two points, but these past three games (this one included) don't bode well at all for this upcoming stretch. We're gonna have to find another level, somehow, some way.

As for Smith - I'd say keep him on a shorter leash, but Malik brought up a good point over at this blog: Kronwall and Ericsson are gassed. They were leaned on very heavily in Sochi, and it's showing, and, given our schedule, that's gonna be a major issue. Our other defensemen are gonna have to step up in a big way. Ohgodkylequincey.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#247 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

About that power play...we're 0-for-11 in our past three games. Again, I didn't see this game, so I can't really comment. But I feel like we're really missing Z and D on the zone entries - and that's just getting into the zone and setting up, never mind the cycle.

Also, I think Alfie is really missing Helm. He's gone ice cold. Unfortunately, I don't think we can count on Helm playing more than two more games for us this season, if that.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#248 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

tumblr_n2gthinAwn1qe3xx4o1_400.gif

tumblr_n2hoelKgj61qcy6ado1_500.gif

tumblr_n2gk2iM2mi1rgjwupo2_250.gif

Edited by darkmanx, 15 March 2014 - 06:47 PM.