• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

A great scrap ends in....A high five and a hug?

Rate this topic

Meh.

Guys like Dave Brown or Bob Probert would never get that theatrical after a fight. I realize it's a job and some of these guys are close friends, but this is making the whole thing look like a joke.

The whole thing is a joke. It just takes some people longer to get it than others.

The whole thing is a joke. It just takes some people longer to get it than others.

No, fighting has a place in hockey. These kind of fights are sometimes fun, but meaningless if guys are hugging it out like that afterwards. Fights due to bad blood or jumping in for fallen teammates are more fun and more meaningful.

High fives and hugging aside, a lot of UFC fighters couldn't take that many bare fisted blows and stay on their feet. There were easily 10 hard connections per side that I thought were going to put the other guy down.

Whatever on the display at the end, what a fight.

Honestly aside from the few exceptions most fights are just to get some energy for the teams.

In the NHL you see fighters pat the other guy on the back or see his lips mouth something supportive.

They're putting personal safety aside for their teams, and know its dangerous.

Those two were literally exchanging solid punches to the face for how long?

It's awesome they were happy for eachother, who cares they acknowledged the good scrap after.

its time to sail this ship into the shore....because yes Bob Probert has done something similar. Not a high five and a hug, but in one of his and McSorley's long drawn out fights, there was a mutual pat on the head after the linesman finally got in between the two...so, yes it has happened before...

its time to sail this ship into the shore....because yes Bob Probert has done something similar. Not a high five and a hug, but in one of his and McSorley's long drawn out fights, there was a mutual pat on the head after the linesman finally got in between the two...so, yes it has happened before...

Of course it has, but I think it's more prevalent nowadays, especially with the staged fights.

Like I said, they're still fun to watch but I could do without the hugging and kissing.

No, fighting has a place in hockey. These kind of fights are sometimes fun, but meaningless if guys are hugging it out like that afterwards. Fights due to bad blood or jumping in for fallen teammates are more fun and more meaningful.

You think a fight due to bad blood is "more fun"?? Can you elaborate on how going after a guy while your teammate and possible friend is lying on the ice unconscious is "more fun" than one where you are fighting with mutual respect and pumping up your team and crowd?

"meaningless" because they got their teams and crowd into the game, then showed some respect for the guy who spent his career sticking up for his teammates and is retiring after this season?? Is that how you define the word "meaningless"? I think the word you're looking for is "meaningful". This was more meaningful than most hockey fights I've seen.

You think a fight due to bad blood is "more fun"?? Can you elaborate on how going after a guy while your teammate and possible friend is lying on the ice unconscious is "more fun" than one where you are fighting with mutual respect and pumping up your team and crowd?

"meaningless" because they got their teams and crowd into the game, then showed some respect for the guy who spent his career sticking up for his teammates and is retiring after this season?? Is that how you define the word "meaningless"? I think the word you're looking for is "meaningful". This was more meaningful than most hockey fights I've seen.

Well, that's your opinion. I've already stated mine.

It's the LNAH...it's how those crazy bastards roll up there in Quebec. The league has a city with an open air asbestos mine (Thetford Mines) where they used to spread asbestos instead of rock salt when it snowed. If Andre "Poodle" Lussier were a real person, he would have gone up there to play after the unfortunate Denny Pratt tragedy.

Well, that's your opinion. I've already stated mine.

I understand the last part is my own opinion of how meaningful it was.

I understand that a fight over bad blood is more meaningful than one over two guys that bumped into each other in a contact sport.

I don't understand how you think a fight over an injured friend and teammate is "more fun" as you put it.

I don't understand your claim that is was "meaningless - (adj) without meaning, significance, purpose, or value; purposeless; insignificant:" just because they showed some respect for each other after it was over.

Do you think that every playoff series that ends in a handshake line loses it's significance just because they acknowledge each others hard fought battles afterward?

When a guy like Mariano Rivera goes around to every ballpark during his last year as a pro and gets acknowledged by the OTHER TEAM'S FANS for what he did during his career, you think that's "meaningless" to him? or to you?? Even if you personally don't find it meaningful doesn't mean it has no meaning to anybody.

I understand the last part is my own opinion of how meaningful it was.

I understand that a fight over bad blood is more meaningful than one over two guys that bumped into each other in a contact sport.

I don't understand how you think a fight over an injured friend and teammate is "more fun" as you put it.

I don't understand your claim that is was "meaningless - (adj) without meaning, significance, purpose, or value; purposeless; insignificant:" just because they showed some respect for each other after it was over.

Do you think that every playoff series that ends in a handshake line loses it's significance just because they acknowledge each others hard fought battles afterward?

When a guy like Mariano Rivera goes around to every ballpark during his last year as a pro and gets acknowledged by the OTHER TEAM'S FANS for what he did during his career, you think that's "meaningless" to him? or to you?? Even if you personally don't find it meaningful doesn't mean it has no meaning to anybody.

nietzsche-friedrich.jpg

Thanks for addressing my questions with this beautiful and elegantly worded response explaining your position. Its probably going to take awhile for me to digest all this information and reassess my position.

Nothing else to say besides the picture, but I'm not smart enough to leave it at that, so I'll add this.

Meaning is subjective. I assign little meaning to the staged fight ending in hugs, and more to fights that result from bad blood and rivalries. You disagreed with my opinion and assigned more meaning to the fight ending with the hug. No use arguing about what does and doesn't have more meaning when it's so subjective.

Did I really need to post all that?

Nothing else to say besides the picture, but I'm not smart enough to leave it at that, so I'll add this.

Meaning is subjective. I assign little meaning to the staged fight ending in hugs, and more to fights that result from bad blood and rivalries. You disagreed with my opinion and assigned more meaning to the fight ending with the hug. No use arguing about what does and doesn't have more meaning when it's so subjective.

Did I really need to post all that?

No, no you're right! I absolutely fully acknowledge and agree that meaning is subjective! I don't disagree that some fights have more (or less) meaning than others due to the situation and that's not what I was arguing. I was just looking for some more clarification on your position. And I asked a couple of questions about it because I don't understand why you think that and instead of answering any of them you picked something else in my post and responded with af****** picture.

And yes there actually is something else to say besides the picture, because the pic doesn't give me any information (other than you just don't want to explain why you think the way you do).

So I'll ask again:

Why do you think a fight over an injured friend and teammate is "more fun" as you put it.

Why do you think showing respect after a hard fought battle reduce everything that happened leading up to it "meaningless" i.e. Handshakes after Playoff rounds or occasionally after fights. (You have to know that a lot of those guys give each other props when the refs finally jump in)

That's all I wanted to know! I'm not looking for af****** 20 page essay I just wanted a little clarification.

Edit: This is getting a little heated, Y'all know I don't hate any of you guys, I just love in depth discussions and I hate bad arguments that are lacking support or are full of fallacies. (and I have an admittedly abrasive personality when taking the pain meds I take for my back)

I'm just gonna leave these here :stanley::w00t2::):lol::w00t:;):bye1:

Edited by roboturner