• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings87

Apparently it can get worse in Vancouver.

Rate this topic

There is no way the Aquilinis are going to hire someone like Feasater! This is a guy, who f***ed up the draft although having very good draft positions with his "owskis fetish" and the famous "on our list" quote, I think they are going to look hard at Hextall, Botterill and Chicagos Assistent GMs maybe Louiselle from Toronto but no way it will be Feaster.

Gillis oversaw this team going to from absolute powerhouse with some promising prospects to an absolute mess, where players want out and UFAs not willing to came thanks to Tortarella. The next GM will not only have to be a very good one but also know how to fix this mess. If I am the owner and my GM is on the golf course at Trade Deadline day he is gone after the season, there are 3 very important days for GMs to make the team better if you don't want to be at the office on that day, you certainly deserve to be fired.

Wondering if Edmonton will now fire Lowe and name Gillis the VP.

Gillis has been bad, but he's also getting scapegoated. Ownership is just as responsible for this mess.

Yeah, from the sounds of it it was ownership who insisted on forcing Tortorella on the team, and they may or may not have interfered in trade negotiations.

My list of candidates:

• Don Cherry
  • Gino Odjick
  • That Farhan guy
  • Pierre McGuire
  • Mike Milbury
  • Craig Button
  • Mikael Samuelsson
  • David Letterman
  • Mats Sundin
  • Jay Leno
  • Arcade Fire
  • Jay and Dan
  • Strombone1
  • Harold Snepsts

Jay Leno as GM, Letterman as president, and Conan can wait in the weeds for Leno to retire.

I'm going with Craig Ferguson replacing lettermen on the late show. Mark my words

I love Craig, but with all the other networks going with younger hosts-Jimmy Fallon, Kimmel, and Seth Myers- I think that Ferguson might skew a little old to get the job. Which is a damn shame.

The Canucks need a bottom 6 top 6 approach and a another coach. There are some serious candidates outthere Botterill. Chicago's Co GM, Loiselle a d if Nonis gets fired he too

As for the owners getting involved sometimes they have to, Gillis made too much mistakes and it cost him,.the guy now play golf and will get 2 mill a year for doing nothing sign me in for such a horrible life

But if they hire Feaster and keep Torts thrn wow

It's been a crazy day here in Vancouver! Why did ownership fire Gillis now with 3 games left and not wait till the end of the season ... season ticket renewal deadline is tomorrow. Shows how bad or desperate things are in Vancouver Canucklehead land.

Right decision but should have waited till end of season and show Gillis and Torts the door. Ownership showing what a gong show this has become. Now rumour floating that they will hire Linden as President when this morning, he was interviewed and Aqualini has not contacted him. So he is going to make this important decision in less than 24 hrs? Really?

It's been a crazy day here in Vancouver! Why did ownership fire Gillis now with 3 games left and not wait till the end of the season ... season ticket renewal deadline is tomorrow. Shows how bad or desperate things are in Vancouver Canucklehead land.

Right decision but should have waited till end of season and show Gillis and Torts the door. Ownership showing what a gong show this has become. Now rumour floating that they will hire Linden as President when this morning, he was interviewed and Aqualini has not contacted him. So he is going to make this important decision in less than 24 hrs? Really?

Don't get fooled by the timing decisions such as this are always longtime based I'm sure the Acquamen thought long and hard about it, then they've seen the reported drastically reduced season ticket renewals and fired him. If I'm Torts I wouldn't bet to stay longer than the remaining games, there is no way they can justify bringing this guy back.

Linden as a president makes sense but he can't be the GM (no experience)

The team drew all the wrong conclusions from the stanley cup year.

The wanted to get bigger and tougher upfront, but all they ended up getting was slower and a tad bigger.

This meant that the defensemen lost offensive confidence, due to lack of defensive support and has since chipped in less and less on the offensive side of the game.

When nucks were att their best, they could maintain pressure in offensive zone for long periods of play, but that is all lost and what is left is a team lacking scoring in the worst way ever.

The wanted to get bigger and tougher upfront, but all they ended up getting was slower and a tad bigger.

This meant that the defensemen lost offensive confidence, due to lack of defensive support and has since chipped in less and less on the offensive side of the game.

When nucks were att their best, they could maintain pressure in offensive zone for long periods of play, but that is all lost and what is left is a team lacking scoring in the worst way ever.

They just needed a guy like Sestito, if he would have been in the lineup back then Marchand would have acted like the coward he is because he would have known he can't hide behind the Bruins tough guys, when the other team has a pretty big tough guy too.

Another important be will be upcoming UFAs they hate playing for Torts so clearly the new GM will take that into account and maybe even ask the players about him.

And playing in a terrible division kind of hid some of their issues the last couple of years.

From CBC:

The Vancouver Canucks announced former captain Trevor Linden as the new president of hockey operations on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after Mike Gillis was fired.

A news conference is scheduled for later in the day.

"We believe in Trevor's leadership abilities," Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini said in a statement. "His 20 years of NHL experience including seven as team captain, his role as NHLPA President, community leader and businessman offers a very special skill set; one that will positively shape the direction of this club in the future.”

Why the urgency to fill this position ASAP? A fear of more rioting?

​Their ownership is a train wreck.

From CBC:

Why the urgency to fill this position ASAP? A fear of more rioting?

​Their ownership is a train wreck.

I would think they want to get a decision maker (Linden) in position ASAP to be ready for the first wave of available GMs. If they would have fired Gillis back when it was apparent he was in over his head, they could have had a shot at Nill.

After watching that presser one thing became clear, their STH renewal rate must be abysmal if an organisation with such a huge fanbase extends the deadline thats not a good sign at all.

I think this was a smart move PR and business wise the guy is basically responsible for hiring the right people, he won't be the one being too involved with the business side of the game.

Wow...Just wow... They just seem delusional and out of touch with reality.

The company line is: fire Gillis and blame him for everything. I just hope Canuck fans see through the BS.

Edited by wings87

Wonder how long before Torts is canned.

I think he should go, but according to Lebrun the Canucks apparently ate the remaining 4 years on Gillis's contract and still owe Tortorella $8 mill over the next 4 years.

So they may give Tortorella more time just to spread the financial (and ego) hit.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10750619/vancouver-canucks-fire-gm-mike-gillis-save-brand