• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wings87

Apparently it can get worse in Vancouver.

Rate this topic

Wonder how long before Torts is canned.

I think he should go, but according to Lebrun the Canucks apparently ate the remaining 4 years on Gillis's contract and still owe Tortorella $8 mill over the next 4 years.

So they may give Tortorella more time just to spread the financial (and ego) hit.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10750619/vancouver-canucks-fire-gm-mike-gillis-save-brand

Pretty sure Fahran Lalji did mention that both have a contract clause which will allow the owners to only pay out 50 % if they get fired.

Granted that is still a lot of money and now add Linden new GM AND a new coach wow. I am sure Linden will make at least the same amount as Gillis if not more

They just needed a guy like Sestito, if he would have been in the lineup back then Marchand would have acted like the coward he is because he would have known he can't hide behind the Bruins tough guys, when the other team has a pretty big tough guy too.

Another important be will be upcoming UFAs they hate playing for Torts so clearly the new GM will take that into account and maybe even ask the players about him.

This Canuck team jumped the shark when Sedin didn't give any pushback at all to Marchand. How can you follow a leader like that into battle. Pav and/or Z would have pushed back and scrum would have ensued.

They needed more than just Sestito, but I agree they did not need the amount of dismantling Gilli gave them. That team really needed a veteran heart and soul leader guy.

http://youtu.be/TEh53OWz0jU

I was listening to that radio show on tsn with the howard stern wannabee sunglasses wearing arrogant grumpy dude and they were saying that there was a huge divide between Gillis and ownership.

Apparently the owners wanted to be the Boston Bruins and Gillis wanted to continue to play an up-tempo, skilled game.

If this is true, I have more respect for Gillis than the owners. He wanted to stick with what should have been a deep-rooted organizational philosophy, and the Aquafina guys or whatever just wanted to copy another franchises' idea. "Hey let's try to be like that there team that beats us".

I never liked that type of mentality.

This Canuck team jumped the shark when Sedin didn't give any pushback at all to Marchand. How can you follow a leader like that into battle. Pav and/or Z would have pushed back and scrum would have ensued.

They needed more than just Sestito, but I agree they did not need the amount of dismantling Gilli gave them. That team really needed a veteran heart and soul leader guy.

http://youtu.be/TEh53OWz0jU

Exactly why I hate Marchand the guy is a *****, without Lucic, Chara, McQuaid and Thornton he wouldn't act that stuff. Sedin showed immense class I'm sure he could beat him up easily personally I would have thorwn a punch back at him. Thornton doesn't seem to be the type of player stepping in when someone is acting stupidly ( = Marchandly).

As for the Bruins Blueprint that's hard to emulate the best other franchises not named St. Louis can do is ice a fourth line from hell i.e. the "Calgary Model" with Westgarth, McGrattan + maybe Orr next year.

If Gillis wanted an uptempo "skilled" game why did he trade Hodgson, Grabner away ? Why did he fire Alan Vigenault and bring in Tortarella a guy who is known for his shotblocking > everything and black/white type of view. Whoever is responsible for this mess right now, it will not be an easy fix.

Exactly why I hate Marchand the guy is a *****, without Lucic, Chara, McQuaid and Thornton he wouldn't act that stuff. Sedin showed immense class I'm sure he could beat him up easily personally I would have thorwn a punch back at him. Thornton doesn't seem to be the type of player stepping in when someone is acting stupidly ( = Marchandly).

As for the Bruins Blueprint that's hard to emulate the best other franchises not named St. Louis can do is ice a fourth line from hell i.e. the "Calgary Model" with Westgarth, McGrattan + maybe Orr next year.

If Gillis wanted an uptempo "skilled" game why did he trade Hodgson, Grabner away ? Why did he fire Alan Vigenault and bring in Tortarella a guy who is known for his shotblocking > everything and black/white type of view. Whoever is responsible for this mess right now, it will not be an easy fix.

I presume if what others above have said to be true this is what the owners demanded of him?

I presume if what others above have said to be true this is what the owners demanded of him?

Even if the Acquamen or whatever their name is would run a tight ship I don't think they would be that involved, maybe I'm wrong but fixing this will be tough. The team has no identity and the situation can get toxic easily.

Even if the Acquamen or whatever their name is would run a tight ship I don't think they would be that involved, maybe I'm wrong but fixing this will be tough. The team has no identity and the situation can get toxic easily.

No one know's for sure, but the rumour is that the Aquarius dudes wanted a tougher, hard-nosed team. Especially after losing to Boston.

Like I said, it's just a rumour, but it makes a ton of sense: semi-knowlegeable owners see big bad Bruins, who admittedly had lots of people in love with them after their cup run, and demanded that their GM get bigger and tougher. Really, why else would Gillis trade Hodson for Kassian? And why wouldn't it be true? Hell, the Illitches told Bowman to f*** off when he had all but traded Yzerman to Ottawa. And that was Bowman, this was Gillis.

You guys do know that Hodgson himself was the driving force behind his own trade, right. He was quite unhappy in the organization, amongst other reasons, because he didn't like them questioning his back injury, and he looked at Sedin as 1C and Kesler as 2C and so no top line minutes for himself. He basically demanded out.

Kassian was a guy that had always been on Vancouvers radar, so the deal was made.