Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Apparently it can get worse in Vancouver.

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:37 AM

It's been a crazy day here in Vancouver!  Why did ownership fire Gillis now with 3 games left and not wait till the end of the season ... season ticket renewal deadline is tomorrow.  Shows how bad or desperate things are in Vancouver Canucklehead land.  

Right decision but should have waited till end of season and show Gillis and Torts the door.  Ownership showing what a gong show this has become.  Now rumour floating that they will hire Linden as President when this morning, he was interviewed and Aqualini has not contacted him.  So he is going to make this important decision in less than 24 hrs?  Really?  

#62 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:23 AM

It's been a crazy day here in Vancouver!  Why did ownership fire Gillis now with 3 games left and not wait till the end of the season ... season ticket renewal deadline is tomorrow.  Shows how bad or desperate things are in Vancouver Canucklehead land.  

Right decision but should have waited till end of season and show Gillis and Torts the door.  Ownership showing what a gong show this has become.  Now rumour floating that they will hire Linden as President when this morning, he was interviewed and Aqualini has not contacted him.  So he is going to make this important decision in less than 24 hrs?  Really?  

Don't get fooled by the timing decisions such as this are always longtime based I'm sure the Acquamen thought long and hard about it, then they've seen the reported drastically reduced season ticket renewals and fired him. If I'm Torts I wouldn't bet to stay longer than the remaining games, there is no way they can justify bringing this guy back.

Linden as a president makes sense but he can't be the GM (no experience)

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#63 peabrain

peabrain

Jr. Prospect

• 16 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:02 AM

The team drew all the wrong conclusions from the stanley cup year.

The wanted to get bigger and tougher upfront, but all they ended up getting was slower and a tad bigger.

This meant that the defensemen lost offensive confidence, due to lack of defensive support and has since chipped in less and less on the offensive side of the game.

When nucks were att their best, they could maintain pressure in offensive zone for long periods of play, but that is all lost and what is left is a team lacking scoring in the worst way ever.

#64 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:46 AM

The wanted to get bigger and tougher upfront, but all they ended up getting was slower and a tad bigger.

This meant that the defensemen lost offensive confidence, due to lack of defensive support and has since chipped in less and less on the offensive side of the game.

When nucks were att their best, they could maintain pressure in offensive zone for long periods of play, but that is all lost and what is left is a team lacking scoring in the worst way ever.

They just needed a guy like Sestito, if he would have been in the lineup back then Marchand would have acted like the coward he is because he would have known he can't hide behind the Bruins tough guys, when the other team has a pretty big tough guy too.

Another important be will be upcoming UFAs they hate playing for Torts so clearly the new GM will take that into account and maybe even ask the players about him.

kftx.jpg

#65 rking72

rking72

Prospect

• 46 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:30 AM

And playing in a terrible division kind of hid some of their issues the last couple of years. 

#66 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

From CBC:

The Vancouver Canucks announced former captain Trevor Linden as the new president of hockey operations on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after Mike Gillis was fired.

A news conference is scheduled for later in the day.

"We believe in Trevor's leadership abilities," Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini said in a statement. "His 20 years of NHL experience including seven as team captain, his role as NHLPA President, community leader and businessman offers a very special skill set; one that will positively shape the direction of this club in the future.” 

Why the urgency to fill this position ASAP? A fear of more rioting?

​Their ownership is a train wreck.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#67 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

From CBC:

I would think they want to get a decision maker (Linden) in position ASAP to be ready for the first wave of available GMs. If they would have fired Gillis back when it was apparent he was in over his head, they could have had a shot at Nill.

#68 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

Probably PR and $ and hookers and stuff.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#69 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

After watching that presser one thing became clear, their STH renewal rate must be abysmal if an organisation with such a huge fanbase extends the deadline thats not a good sign at all.

I think this was a smart move PR and business wise the guy is basically responsible for hiring the right people, he won't be the one being too involved with the business side of the game.

kftx.jpg

#70 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

And now there's this:

https://ca.sports.ya...-163548729.html

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#71 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

And now there's this:

https://ca.sports.ya...-163548729.html

Wow...Just wow... They just seem delusional and out of touch with reality. 

The company line is: fire Gillis and blame him for everything. I just hope Canuck fans see through the BS.

Edited by wings87, 09 April 2014 - 05:48 PM.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#72 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:17 PM

Specter had a rumor up today that Shanahan might be in line for the GM job. Him and Linden are close friends and he wants to be a GM really bad.

#73 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

Finally ... things are trending up.   

#74 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,624 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:28 PM

Wonder how long before Torts is canned. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#75 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

I think he should go, but according to Lebrun the Canucks apparently ate the remaining 4 years on Gillis's contract and still owe Tortorella $8 mill over the next 4 years.  

So they may give Tortorella more time just to spread the financial (and ego) hit. 

http://espn.go.com/n...llis-save-brand

#76 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

I think he should go, but according to Lebrun the Canucks apparently ate the remaining 4 years on Gillis's contract and still owe Tortorella $8 mill over the next 4 years.  

So they may give Tortorella more time just to spread the financial (and ego) hit. 

http://espn.go.com/n...llis-save-brand

Pretty sure Fahran Lalji did mention that both have a contract clause which will allow the owners to only pay out 50 % if they get fired.

Granted that is still a lot of money and now add Linden new GM AND a new coach wow. I am sure Linden will make at least the same amount as Gillis if not more

kftx.jpg

#77 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

They just needed a guy like Sestito, if he would have been in the lineup back then Marchand would have acted like the coward he is because he would have known he can't hide behind the Bruins tough guys, when the other team has a pretty big tough guy too.

Another important be will be upcoming UFAs they hate playing for Torts so clearly the new GM will take that into account and maybe even ask the players about him.

This Canuck team jumped the shark when Sedin didn't give any pushback at all to Marchand. How can you follow a leader like that into battle. Pav and/or Z would have pushed back and scrum would have ensued.

They needed more than just Sestito, but I agree they did not need the amount of dismantling Gilli gave them. That team really needed a veteran heart and soul leader guy.

#78 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,986 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

I was listening to that radio show on tsn with the howard stern wannabee sunglasses wearing arrogant grumpy dude and they were saying that there was a huge divide between Gillis and ownership.

Apparently the owners wanted to be the Boston Bruins and Gillis wanted to continue to play an up-tempo, skilled game.

If this is true, I have more respect for Gillis than the owners. He wanted to stick with what should have been a deep-rooted organizational philosophy, and the Aquafina guys or whatever just wanted to copy another franchises' idea. "Hey let's try to be like that there team that beats us".

I never liked that type of mentality.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#79 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,917 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

This Canuck team jumped the shark when Sedin didn't give any pushback at all to Marchand. How can you follow a leader like that into battle. Pav and/or Z would have pushed back and scrum would have ensued.

They needed more than just Sestito, but I agree they did not need the amount of dismantling Gilli gave them. That team really needed a veteran heart and soul leader guy.

Exactly why I hate Marchand the guy is a *****, without Lucic, Chara, McQuaid and Thornton he wouldn't act that stuff. Sedin showed immense class I'm sure he could beat him up easily personally I would have thorwn a punch back at him. Thornton doesn't seem to be the type of player stepping in when someone is acting stupidly ( = Marchandly).

As for the Bruins Blueprint that's hard to emulate the best other franchises not named St. Louis can do is ice a fourth line from hell i.e. the "Calgary Model" with Westgarth, McGrattan + maybe Orr next year.

If Gillis wanted an uptempo "skilled" game why did he trade Hodgson, Grabner away ? Why did he fire Alan Vigenault and bring in Tortarella a guy who is known for his shotblocking > everything and black/white type of view.  Whoever is responsible for this mess right now, it will not be an easy fix.

kftx.jpg

#80 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:18 PM

Exactly why I hate Marchand the guy is a *****, without Lucic, Chara, McQuaid and Thornton he wouldn't act that stuff. Sedin showed immense class I'm sure he could beat him up easily personally I would have thorwn a punch back at him. Thornton doesn't seem to be the type of player stepping in when someone is acting stupidly ( = Marchandly).

As for the Bruins Blueprint that's hard to emulate the best other franchises not named St. Louis can do is ice a fourth line from hell i.e. the "Calgary Model" with Westgarth, McGrattan + maybe Orr next year.

If Gillis wanted an uptempo "skilled" game why did he trade Hodgson, Grabner away ? Why did he fire Alan Vigenault and bring in Tortarella a guy who is known for his shotblocking > everything and black/white type of view.  Whoever is responsible for this mess right now, it will not be an easy fix.

I presume if what others above have said to be true this is what the owners demanded of him? 

temp 1