• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:35 PM

May as well use him if he's available, I agree with this decision. While I don't think he should be an every day player, I thought he should have played more than he has this season. He's not a bad player, I don't know why he has been overlooked so much.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#22 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

Finally ... a worthwhile injury. Can't stand Bertuzzi mailing it in, s***ty effort, turnovers, horrible plus-minus, no hitting, nothing to show on the board, and still skates in on goalies like he is playing ball hockey. Anyone from the Griffins is worth a look before this guy. I'd take ******gulp****** Samuelsson in the lineup over Bertuzzi.  I can't wait to see him walk away this summer. Good riddance!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

May as well use him if he's available, I agree with this decision. While I don't think he should be an every day player, I thought he should have played more than he has this season. He's not a bad player, I don't know why he has been overlooked so much.

Not sure either. I like what he brings to the table and we could definitely use some of it right now. I actually forgot that we still had him for a while there. I do think if we fall out of the race though he'll go back down and we'll bring up Callahan just to see if he can compete at the NHL level. Which is unfortunate for Toots. He seems like a good guy and at least deserves a shot to play in the show to prove he can still play and hopefully earn himself a contract for next season (I think we'll buy him out).

#24 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

Oh, please let him be playing in Minneapolis!

I have to agree with GMR.  Nothing like an impending court date to take your mind off work.  Bert has seen his better days.  He's not as bad as some people make him out to be, but we've seen from the Kid Line what an infusion of enthusiasm can do for a team.

With Bert out, Tootoo provides the snarl factor that Bert has been providing by default.  It's been a long, hard season with all the injuries.  Maybe a fresh body and pumped up attitude is what we need.

#25 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

I know he's a center but why not try Ferraro? Or Callahan? I like Toots, but we need some scoring.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#26 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

Toots was a factor in last years final week push to the playoffs and never should have been sent down for doing exactly what they brought him here to do. One thing we know for certain... every shift he will leave it all on the ice.

#27 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

Mitch Callahan would have addressed both problems. Scorer + agitator/

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#28 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

Happy for this.

#29 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

Toots had a goal and an assist against a very competitive Abbotsford Heat a couple weeks ago , the night after the game I went to.

Fwiw...

#30 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

Better than Bertuzzi, but the Wings need impact players back instead of rotating in bodies. The team look uninspired against the Oilers, so hopefully Tootoo can provide some energy and excitement in Chicago. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#31 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

He's just not a Babcock player.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#32 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

I would love Toots as an everyday player & happy to see him called up! I won't compare him to Bert or visa versa though because their two different players through & through. ~without Helm our energy level drops bar none, Tootoo is the only player to come through our system that compares his ice time/hits ratio, I hope Babs gives him a shot
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#33 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,988 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:06 AM

Great, he will do more for the Red Wings with his 7 minutes of ice time than many others playing twice as much. Why? Heart.

Finally ... a worthwhile injury. Can't stand Bertuzzi mailing it in, s***ty effort, turnovers, horrible plus-minus, no hitting, nothing to show on the board, and still skates in on goalies like he is playing ball hockey. Anyone from the Griffins is worth a look before this guy. I'd take ******gulp****** Samuelsson in the lineup over Bertuzzi.  I can't wait to see him walk away this summer. Good riddance!!!!!!!!!!!!

No player has been worse than Samuelsson this season. None.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#34 matt198913

matt198913

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:17 AM

If he can keep himself under control he's an asset, if he can't he's an ass. Simple as that.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#35 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:21 AM

Bertuzzi took the shootout goal but now is "injured"?  Am I the only one thinking it's somewhat coincidental that Cleary, Samuelsson and Bertuzzi all have these "injuries" after extended lackluster performances?

#36 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

He's just not a Babcock player.

i.e. - He plays physical hockey. 

#37 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,185 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:28 AM

i.e. - He plays physical hockey. 

Babs likes physical hockey. We're just not a physical team. We're not built for it, we don't have the stones for it. It's not our identity, not our system, not the way we'd like to play (ideally, we possess the puck a lot, which means we're not worried so much about hitting the opposition). Not that I'm totally down with that, but, truth is, one guy running around hitting people probably isn't gonna make much of a difference on any level.

My impression is that Babs cares about three things: Trust, Defense, Utility. Babs probably doesn't feel he can trust Tootoo because Tootoo likes fighting, takes stupid penalties, and is generally not a very smart, responsible player. He's also weak defensively and can't play in key situations or on special teams or take faceoffs. If you look at the rest of our bottom-sixers, they're mostly good, reliable defensive players who can play on the PK, take tough shutdown shadow assignments, etc. More than anything, though? I think it comes down to the fact that we're just not a very good team and therefore can't afford to consistently use a high-risk low-reward player, especially given that Babs wants us winning games 2-1.

I like Tootoo, as a person and a player. But he's just not a great fit here. The signing was probably a mistake in the first place (certainly he was overpaid), and stuffing him away in the minors when he could almost certainly find NHL work on another team (but, alas, overpaid) and then recalling kid after kid after kid is not the everyone-goes-home-happy management approach Holland is known for.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#38 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:44 AM

I agree with those who have mentioned that Ferraro and Callahan should have been given a look. As far as I can see, Tootoo's time in Detroit is nearly over - Landon and Mitch are out of options next year and need to stick with the team, be waived or moved. Would have made more sense to me to give either guy a look, but I guess that's what training camp is for?

#39 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

I even enjoy Tootoo's penalties, so much more excting when he rams sum doosh into the glass on a charging call than some soft hook or interference.

#40 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

Babs likes physical hockey. We're just not a physical team. We're not built for it, we don't have the stones for it. It's not our identity, not our system, not the way we'd like to play (ideally, we possess the puck a lot, which means we're not worried so much about hitting the opposition). Not that I'm totally down with that, but, truth is, one guy running around hitting people probably isn't gonna make much of a difference on any level.

My impression is that Babs cares about three things: Trust, Defense, Utility. Babs probably doesn't feel he can trust Tootoo because Tootoo likes fighting, takes stupid penalties, and is generally not a very smart, responsible player. He's also weak defensively and can't play in key situations or on special teams or take faceoffs. If you look at the rest of our bottom-sixers, they're mostly good, reliable defensive players who can play on the PK, take tough shutdown shadow assignments, etc. More than anything, though? I think it comes down to the fact that we're just not a very good team and therefore can't afford to consistently use a high-risk low-reward player, especially given that Babs wants us winning games 2-1.

I like Tootoo, as a person and a player. But he's just not a great fit here. The signing was probably a mistake in the first place (certainly he was overpaid), and stuffing him away in the minors when he could almost certainly find NHL work on another team (but, alas, overpaid) and then recalling kid after kid after kid is not the everyone-goes-home-happy management approach Holland is known for.

I hate to pick one thing out of your post but I'm going to anyways because it's the only that I can statiscally disagree with and the rest is mostly opinion. Last year he didn't take as many stupid penalties as I was expecting and only seemed to put us in trouble with that a few times. Also for the entire time he has worn a Wings sweater his Penalty +/- is +2. So for every minor he takes, he draws 3. That's good for 8th on the team behind Pav, Z, Tatar, Nyquist, Alfie, Helm and Abdelkader. In comparison this year Quincey is -21, Kronwall is -15, and even a skilled guy in Franzen is -5. So as far as the stupid penalty thing, he helps in that regard more than he hurts.

Edit: All stats taken from http://www.extraskat...13#player-stats

Edited by nawein, 16 March 2014 - 11:02 AM.