• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsAlways

Franzen calls out team

Rate this topic

"I think we could play better,” Johan Franzen said. “Maybe we need to believe in ourselves a little bit more. It’s like we’re not all there. It doesn’t look like we all believe in it.

“For us to win games, everyone out there has got to want the puck and help each other. You can’t sit on the side and watch other guys do it for you. Everyone has got to pull in the same direction.”

Entire story -

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcFqC?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=detroit-red-wings

Interesting read, are the players starting to wake up and realize that it's a team effort? Or are they looking to blame one another for the team's downfall?

I haven't read the article, but if that's the key quote, there's something very important that's missing: "I need to work harder and I need to want the puck more."

He's right in calling out the team's effort as it's been lacking, but he is not a guy who tends to characterize maximum effort. If he wants to be a leader and make statements like that, that's great, we need more of that, but he needs to walk the walk, lead by example, and be the first to admit he needs to be better at what he's saying.

Its kinda funny, the fan-base has been dying to replace our aging veterans with young blood for a few years now, and now between whom Holland and Babs have removed, and whom the team has lost due to injuries, its veteran leadership and stability on the ice that the team could use a fair bit of. I believe the team that is penciled in to skate has the potential to outwork the opposition, score goals, play defense, close out third periods with a positive goal differential, and win at least 50% of their games. I don't necessarily believe that they disagree with that, but I don't see that there is a whole lot of trust in each other as a team, and Franzen is included in that observation. There's a lot of individual efforts that are being easily smothered out by the opposition's defense, a lot of hesitancy to fore-check hard, and a lot of collapsing too low. That's a lack of trust. And frankly its understandable, when you see Tatar, Nyquist, Dekeyser, Sheahan, Smith, Lashoff, Pulkinen, Glendening, and Emmerton having 566 NHL games between them all. That's collectively less than seven years of NHL experience split between nine players on the roster, or about half the team.

The real question is, why isn't the other half of the team stepping up more?

Good on him for saying so, but no matter how much they "want it" or don't, "play heavy" or don't, "stick to it" or don't, you're not going to beat national hockey league teams with AHL level talent. Particularly when the NHL players you do have in the lineup are largely the supporting cast. This team has serious holes in it that haven't been addressed for about four years now. Until they get addressed, they'll struggle...healthy or not...effort or not.

I do want to say that I like seeing Franzen step up though. He's played well since his return and I always love seeing guys try to be a factor off the ice as well as on it.

Edited by kipwinger

I think Franzen has been pretty good for most of the year. He's been hitting and shooting and playing a good game. He has an A now for a reason. I think he's stepped up well. If he played like this with Z and Pav, it would be amazing to see.

I don't need to read the quote. Lets fuc$&@g go . No need to understate things here you walk out of that room you see the crowd and lights. Push it more than you have so far

Edited by cnot19

I think Franzen has been pretty good for most of the year. He's been hitting and shooting and playing a good game. He has an A now for a reason. I think he's stepped up well. If he played like this with Z and Pav, it would be amazing to see.

To be fair, Franzen is wearing the A due to attrition. However, I agree that he has stepped up his game and hopefully gets on his "playoff beast-mode" a few weeks early :)

If Mule is guilty of anything, it's trying to do too much. He's been fantastic this season but he needs to put up 50+ goals and have playoff intensity every game for this board to get off his back.

Definitely looks like the team is playing without confidence. With Z and/or D in the lineup the whole team plays a different way. Something has to change because our record without those two will lead nowhere near the playoffs if it continues the same way.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

if one thing has been made clear with these injuries, it's that tatar/nyquist are not players in the mold of datsyuk/zetterberg - they aren't the guys that are going to carry your team. they're secondary players.

if one thing has been made clear with these injuries, it's that tatar/nyquist are not players in the mold of datsyuk/zetterberg - they aren't the guys that are going to carry your team. they're secondary players.

Ya god forbid those rookies don't carry the team to the cup, better trade them. Not like goose has 17 goals in 40 something games...

They're rookies! Datsyuk and Zetterberg weren't players in the mold of Datsyuk/Zetterberg when they were rookies either.

Zetterberg was runner up in rookie of the year voting his first year with 22 goals and 22 assists in 79 games, Datsyuk had a less impressive 11 goals and 24 assists in 70 games his rookie year. Both Tatar AND Nyquist are on pace to beat those numbers in MANY fewer games. Furthermore, neither Datsyuk nor Zetterberg were asked to do as much in their respective rookie campaigns. They were both on teams LOADED with talent.

Maybe they will turn out to be that good, and likely they won't. But to act as if their rookie years have been anything other than spectacular is absurd.

Edited by kipwinger

I like this. Franzen has turned it around this year. Even the last game, he may not have scored but he was finally hitting like we all wish he'd do.

He's engaged in the play. He's doing his best. But there is clearly a confidence issue. Every game is the same. As soon as the other team takes a lead, you see the guys slump on the bench. They give up and that is what Franzen wants changed.

I dont care about Franzen's past. He's bringing it this year and thay allows him to say this.

You must not have been watching franzen playing this year...

Of course I have, Mule is one of my favorite players to watch even when his performance has been sub par. Because when he brings it, he brings it. I'm just saying that he has his negative moments as much as anyone else, and he can't point his finger at anyone else without pointing at himself as well.

You must not have been watching franzen playing this year...

Of course I have, Mule is one of my favorite players to watch even when his performance has been sub par. Because when he brings it, he brings it. I'm just saying that he has his negative moments as much as anyone else, and he can't point his finger at anyone else without pointing at himself as well.

He is

I don't need to read the quote. Lets fuc$&@g go . No need to understate things here you walk out of that room you see the crowd and lights. Push it more than you have so far

F****** right. Push it harder than you ever have before.

I have no problem with us losing and missing the playoffs if every man on the team is giving his all at all times. Then it's just a matter of us simply not being talented enough and every other team being healthy and pushing, and that's not this current lineup's fault.

But I really do feel like if there's maximum effort along with real heart and trust and all that good stuff, we've got a good chance. Anything less than that, though? Start booking tee times.

F****** right. Push it harder than you ever have before.

That's what she said.